New model: Crescent (summer NAMM 2017)

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

morph
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: New model: Crescent (summer NAMM 2017)

Postby morph » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:21 pm

Spud--True, what you say. BUT--a 22 fret set neck, with a thinner body a la SG, has NEVER been offered by Kiesel/Carvin. This would be filling a hole that's been there a long time.

I'm glad to see the set-necks getting some love here lately. A 22-fret SH6 will be fantastic. I'd love to see a singlecut version of the Crescent, too--like a set-neck SCB. No one really offers anything quite like that.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:10 pm

Omsong wrote:I think Jeff mentioned in one of the videos that the quilt top is his personal instrument. Maybe they've only built 2? Seems unlikely since Jeff also said that the design has been in the works for a couple of years. It really takes that long?

He mentioned that he trademarked the name in 2013. I have no idea if the design was anything more than a lipstick-on-napkin sketch at that point, and perhaps didn't progress for 2 years, then worked on it sporadically for the next two. In that 4 years, They split the company, moved, launched countless other new models including headless and multiscale, got all new CNCs, etc. It's not like it was 4 years at the spindle sander. :)

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:11 pm

Quite like what? Just curious what you mean. A 22 fret, single cut, thin body... With an f hole? What did you mean..
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

morph
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby morph » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:54 pm

I meant a single-cut SG type--like a SCB, but with a more SG tone and feel, from the set neck.

edit: I guess the PRS Starla is like that, now that I think. :? I guess PRS does kind of do this. But that's the point. Why not Kiesel?
Last edited by morph on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:58 pm

The Washburn Idol was a little like that...always kinda liked that model...despite the build quality.

morph
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby morph » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:01 pm

Exactly!!!

Washburn made some great guitars, but they always had a business/marketing problem.

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:26 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Quite like what? Just curious what you mean. A 22 fret, single cut, thin body... With an f hole? What did you mean..

Well they should put that on the fat body SH6 before they do anything.
That last pic spud put up was much more favorable for this guitar.
Hey it looks nice and has good specs for the people it appeals to.
I'm not worried about a shortage of models at this point not everything is going to speak to me personally but i'm always excited to see what Jeff comes up with. It's all good
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V
DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N
Bolt ,C22T/AP11/AP11
AE185 C22T/C22N
AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
DC800 A80B/A80N
DC600 M22SD/M22V
AC375, CL450, AC275K
CT7M KL14B/KL14N
SB5000 J99A pups

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:34 am

Yeah I was just curious. Kiesel definitely doesn't have a stubby double cut off either the LP Special slab bodied type or a thin slab SG type, and I wish they would.

Then simply come out with a p90 pup and you've opened up a whole new universe to buyers.

I have a real love for topless slab guitars, and I love designs like an SG or the original 150 because of how easy it is to play up top of the neck. Even if the bottom cut allows you high access, these stubbies allow you to not have to change your thumb position as you slide up there quickly to throw out a quick riffy blast, and the lack of a heavy set neck heel is the icing on the cake. Although set necks can be without question about the biggest nuisance to play on in terms of interfering with your hand shape while sliding up, tone wise it provides the thickest widest response to my ears out of your pups, great rich double and triple overtones. Bolts would be a second place because they sustain so long but they have that punchy, trebly tone... a bit different sound.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Omsong
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Omsong » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:14 am

spudmunkey wrote:The Washburn Idol was a little like that...always kinda liked that model...despite the build quality.

[/img]

I always though that the Idol was one of the more aesthetically pleasing designs out there. Bet they have it patented... A variation of it would look great along the Holdsworth headless vein.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:19 am

They have since re-used the name, so i wouldn't expect a return.

I present: the "New Idol". Meh.

Mr Seafoam
Links/Contact:

Postby Mr Seafoam » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:43 pm

Count me as one who loves the new Crescent. Nothing wrong with having another carved top model, and the "set-thru" neck design is interesting. I like it better than the CT honestly and I'm guessing one of these is in my future. I always loved the look of Driskill guitars and this new model reminds me of one, Very nice new model.

Mr Seafoam
Links/Contact:

Postby Mr Seafoam » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:59 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
In one "pick your top" video, Jeff had a pale moon ebony top. He said it would normally sell for $1000. But, during this video, he'd give two people a discount to only $600, but they had to be Vaders. The vaders were small enough that they could get two guitars out of the same top. So while they were able to get a $400 discount on the top, Kiesel is actually $200 ahead because they got two $600 tops out of one $1000 piece of wood. I have no problem with that, actually...but at the same time, I see how many would have said, "Well...then shouldn't we have gotten them for, say, $450, so that we still get a great discount, and there's also some sacrifice on the side of the vendor providing the 'deal'?" Which is totally valid...but it didn't bug me, but I imagine I'm in the minority there.

I was one of those two people who ordered those tops and I look at it as nothing short of a win-win. I was able to get my second V6X and saved $400 in the process. Not to mention I really wanted a Pale Moon Ebony top but just didn't want to spend a grand on one. Kiesel made a little extra money on the piece of wood as well. Sounds like everybody made out nicely. I literally could not be happier with this guitar. For my taste, I can't even imagine a nicer Vader (although I'm sure everyone feels this way about theirs lol). Not only is it a beautiful example of what Mother Nature does best, but the thing is an absolute joy to play.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:50 pm

That's another sweet one. It looks like a chocolate drizzled banana and makes me friggin hungry.

That model you guys are talking about looks like aPRS or one of those Ultra Swedes (big time meh to me, entry level model with basswood body/maple neck and ceramic pups, just not my bag at all). The good association the old Idol model conjures up is a variant of the Westbury from Univox (Matsumoku) from the great seventies/Eighties days in Japan. The better, rarer version is this one which is me to the tee (despise the headstock though)

Great guitars btw, and great examples of the excellent craftsmanship in Japan during those days.

But the more prevalent version of the axe after a slight change in the company was this non symmetrical version of the Westbury, and the buckers changed to Dimarzio PAF/Super D:

Still cool, but I like the symmetrical shape better... But this asymmetrical version reminds me of the original idol you guys are talking about.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Omsong
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Omsong » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:31 pm

May I present THE Headless Idol :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

amon
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby amon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:20 pm

Omsong wrote:May I present THE Headless Idol :mrgreen:

That could be the name of a W.A.S.P. tribute act.

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:05 am

Spud -
What model / color was this? ... (CT4 maple top? Satin trans pearl blue?)

Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:59 am

I think this model fits in really well with the new direction of the company. It's also very reminiscent of another company's design. How it still has any heel at all in set-through construction is a failure in engineering.

But the wood sure looks pretty.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:08 am

wickid wrote:
Spud -
What model / color was this? ... (CT4 maple top? Satin trans pearl blue?)

I'm not certain, but I believe so.

Fraidycat

Postby Fraidycat » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:14 am

The upper horn I can live with (even if it resembles the upper horn of another CA shop's signature kingly model), the lower cutaway though I'd love to see bottom out at the same point as the 24th fret, instead of having the fret board extend beyond it.

When will this model be available on the builder, I went through this morning to try to spec one out and it's not showing up yet.

ilyti
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ilyti » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:58 am

Omsong wrote:May I present THE Headless Idol :mrgreen:

It's all wrong but I love it! :mrgreen: :laughhard:

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars