Vader guitar... pros and cons.

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Treadplatedual
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Vader guitar... pros and cons.

Postby Treadplatedual » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:24 pm

gibvel wrote:
texastoast wrote:
gibvel wrote:
texastoast wrote:This is coming from a man who never had an interest in headless. Bought a VM7 to try out the multi thing for a while. Never thought I would like it much.

What do you think of the multi scale? Easier? Harder? Much difference?

Mark

Like others have said, the adjustment took about 5 min to get used to it. Very natural. In fact the adjustment I made was to relax and allow my hands fall more natural. They follow the fan by default. I thought palm muting may be a problem because I rest on the saddles a bunch. Come to find out that is a very natural angle on the bridge as well. String tension is great.

Not knowing much about the multi-scale what does it do for the tension? Does it actually make all the strings about the same tension?

Yep! You can downtune to your heart's content, and the low end won't be floppy. The one issue I have with multi, is that it's a bit harder doing scale runs near the nut on the lower string, but otherwise it takes almost no getting used to.
Last edited by Treadplatedual on Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s
2017 A6H - Lithiums

Pod HD500x
Boss Katana (For the funzies)

gibvel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gibvel » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:18 am

Big O wrote:This is somewhat off topic, but are you the same gibvel that used to post on the Marc Seal forum?

That would be me! :D

gibvel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gibvel » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:29 am

Warg Master wrote:I've never been one for headless guitars. The Vader has grown me since it's inception. I've been watung and finally pulled the trigger on one. It arrived yesterday. I had to go out of town and didn't get to spend much time with it. However, for wat it is worth, the time I did spend with it. I was blown away. The weight, the feel, the position of it was great. So far,I am sold on this model. Had me contemplating some things... Evil thoughts... I know, still in honeymoon phase. I'll give be it some time... Maybe actually plug it in soon...

I'm not worried about the lithiums. I have them in another guitar and I like the voice. I played with the trem. It was very similar to the contour I already have. Nothing about it gave me any pause. The trem is tight. I love it.
20170623_125546.jpg

Thanks for the Info Warg Master. Please keep us informed as your "affair" progresses. :lol:

I was looking at the photo of Jeff holding the V7 on facebook. It just looks so small comparatively. Not just length but body size. I suppose that's part of the draw; that it's smaller and lighter. Of course there is no "regular" guitar in the photo so no direct comparison.

Warg Master
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Warg Master » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:51 pm

gibvel wrote:
Thanks for the Info Warg Master. Please keep us informed as your "affair" progresses. :lol:

I was looking at the photo of Jeff holding the V7 on facebook. It just looks so small comparatively. Not just length but body size. I suppose that's part of the draw; that it's smaller and lighter. Of course there is no "regular" guitar in the photo so no direct comparison.

It progresses quite well! Sounds fantastic plugged in! It's got me looking at some of my non Carvin/ kiesel 6s and pondering. Still in the honey moon phase, but I haven't had a phase like these prior to Carvin . I still love my dc727 and A7 and the honey moon is long over. I've had a really good experience, though. For reference, here it is next to my A7:

20170627_155052.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WooooooD!

Big O

Postby Big O » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:35 am

gibvel wrote:
Big O wrote:This is somewhat off topic, but are you the same gibvel that used to post on the Marc Seal forum?

That would be me! :D

Nice to see you around posting on a guitar message board.

I will be pulling the trigger on a Kiesel CS model soon, probably with a burl maple top with nightburst finish and gold hardware. I am more of a traditionalist, although I really think the Vader models are quite cool. Would consider getting one, but I have way too many guitars now.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:44 pm

Big O wrote:but I have way too many guitars now.

What nonsensical gibberish are you musing? Go ahead and buy that new Kiesel. Then in a year I will check in on that whole too many guitars thing. They are like a crack laced potato chip. You cant just have one.

Seriously, good luck on your choice what ever it is. Post pictures when you get it.

Treadplatedual
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Treadplatedual » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:12 am

texastoast wrote:
Big O wrote:but I have way too many guitars now.

They are like a crack laced potato chip. You cant just have one.

I hear that. I'm making my wife happy by selling my CS6, since I have an SH6 on the way in. She doesn't want me to be the guy with 150 kiesels and only 2 or 3 that get played haha
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s
2017 A6H - Lithiums

Pod HD500x

Warg Master
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Warg Master » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:41 am

Treadplatedual wrote:I hear that. I'm making my wife happy by selling my CS6, since I have an SH6 on the way in. She doesn't want me to be the guy with 150 kiesels and only 2 or 3 that get played haha

Again, I'll second this...
I don't see anything wrong here....
WooooooD!

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:12 am

There is a mathematical theorem regarding the number of guitars one should have.

G=X+1.

G is the total number of guitars one needs.

X is the total number of guitars one owns.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:19 am

Guitars are like bicycles, tools, comic books (or whatever else one collects), money or lubricant. Too much is almost enough.

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:28 am

spudmunkey wrote:Guitars are like lubricant. Too much is almost enough.

Unless it's a wet sump oiling system in an engine or transmission, in which case too much causes cavitation (air mixing with the lubricant), in which case engine or transmission damage can occur. Always make sure your oil is in the right area on the dipstick, people.

But, for other times in life, yes, one can never have enough lubricant. :laughhard:
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Treadplatedual
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Treadplatedual » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:23 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:Guitars are like lubricant. Too much is almost enough.

Unless it's a wet sump oiling system in an engine or transmission, in which case too much causes cavitation (air mixing with the lubricant), in which case engine or transmission damage can occur. Always make sure your oil is in the right area on the dipstick, people.

But, for other times in life, yes, one can never have enough lubricant. :laughhard:

Cavitation is SO COOL...go watch the TEDx talk about Mantis Shrimp for some awesome cavitation action.

That said, yes, more guitars is more better.
2017 SH6 - Piezo/S22s
2017 A6H - Lithiums

Pod HD500x

quattro

Postby quattro » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:27 am

Just got my V7. I would say the hardest thing to adapt to would be the placement of the volume/tone, and pickup selector switch.

Nombrecomun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Nombrecomun » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:20 pm

Any news on a multiscale with trem? I'd love to have a Kiesel but this is the one option that Strandberg has over Vaders atm.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:00 am

Nombrecomun wrote:Any news on a multiscale with trem? I'd love to have a Kiesel but this is the one option that Strandberg has over Vaders atm.

First you must consider scale. Kiesel multi is 25.5 to 27. The guitars with trems that strandberg offers is a 25 to 25.5.Not much of a fret fan on those necks.
That is a big difference. That would off set the bridge a great deal more than the one you are looking at. I hate to admit the fact that Jeff really Nailed the multi scale. I have played most every fan option that I know of. Kiesel is in my mind the best and most comfortable. If you detune his design is even better. That huge scale difference may limit the ability to do a trem.

Nombrecomun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Nombrecomun » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:30 am

texastoast wrote:
Nombrecomun wrote:Any news on a multiscale with trem? I'd love to have a Kiesel but this is the one option that Strandberg has over Vaders atm.

First you must consider scale. Kiesel multi is 25.5 to 27. The guitars with trems that strandberg offers is a 25 to 25.5.Not much of a fret fan on those necks.
That is a big difference. That would off set the bridge a great deal more than the one you are looking at. I hate to admit the fact that Jeff really Nailed the multi scale. I have played most every fan option that I know of. Kiesel is in my mind the best and most comfortable. If you detune his design is even better. That huge scale difference may limit the ability to do a trem.

Thanks for the response. The whole fanned fret thing would be new to me. I'm trying to kill a couple birds with one stone(what a horrible saying). So the idea of multiscale and compactness(headless) already has a big appeal to me. I am a trem user so to me it's almost deal breaking territory. I know I would get it and always wonder what a trem would be like, you know?

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:42 pm

You'd have to use something like a Bigsby or Kahler, where the saddles aren't part of the fulcrum to make it work without the string heights going crazy. With the tuners in there as well, you'd suddenly be dealing with a lot of moving parts that would need to be kept free of crud.

gibvel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gibvel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:58 am

Thanks for all your input, guys.

I ended up ordering a VM6 on Black Friday. The combination of specials they had, for Black Friday, just pushed me over the top. I had thought about ordering it close to their Christmas break anyway (so their week off would extend the time and allow for more time to accumulate the cash) so I finally pulled the trigger.

Thanks again!
Mark

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:41 am

Soo...have you posted in the Waiting Room yet? :)

viewforum.php?f=20

gibvel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gibvel » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:25 am

Nope :D

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars