Vaders in Houston???

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vaders in Houston???

Postby X1Glider » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:09 am

Calling anyone in the greater Houston area... I'm asking for a personal viewing as a prelude to ordering something.

All 6 of my guitars are Carvin branded, dating back to '88. No Kiesels yet. It's time for me to finally get one but I don't want to waste the factory's time and efforts and order something that won't suit me, especially if it's an option I can't return. This was never a problem with the Carvin builds as they were all "normal" guitars (all DCs) with typically familiar features and options. Now the options are beyond imagination. And I want to go big. I'm wanting to order 2 "forever" guitars, the 2nd one being a SH7.

What I'm actually after is seeing if I like the feel of the Vader in my hands and especially my forearm as the forearm area looks kind of abbreviated by comparison to a DC. And if there's someone with a Vader that has a tremolo or is multi-scale, that is a bonus for my viewing pleasure. I've played someone's Strandberg Metal in recent months and kind of liked the 3/4" spread on the scale, I just hate the inferior quality of their product, plus it's a bolt-on, something I haven't owned in 30 years. But I'm not sure about a 1-1/2" spread on a Kiesel. And I also have sworn off tremolos in recent years. At least the Floyds. I will not ever get a Floyd again. Complete PITAs. I do, however, want to sample a Hipshot trem for a headless to see if my mind could be changed. But checking out a fixie is cool too. I'm interested in examining the hardware.

So is there anyone in the greater Houston area who's willing to let me come by and check out their Vader? Will take you to lunch in your area as a return courtesy. Always up for ribs or a CFS and a brew. I'm in Tomball but not a big deal for me to go across town if you're open to letting come by.

dvlsadvc8t
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Vaders in Houston???

Postby dvlsadvc8t » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:02 am

I went back home to Houston about 3 weeks ago. There was a used Vader at the Guitar Center in Stafford/Sugar Land.

dvlsadvc8t
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dvlsadvc8t » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:04 am

Just checked their website. It's gone now.

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:54 am

Thanks for tryin'.

In a way I'm surprised at a lack of response. I'd have figured more open-ness from fellow Carvinites. The people I know in H-town with Carvin guitars are simply that...all older Carvins. Out of those dozen people, no one owns a Kiesel yet.

The Strandberg, mentioned previously, I played recently was due to the Strandberg website showing where their owners were located (at least the ones who registered) who were willing to meet other people interested in their guitars. That was kind of a cool experience. That's something similar I joined into with particular exotic motorcycles. Met a handful of people who had never seen a Bimota or Vyrus. Enthusiasts helping enthusiasts.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:53 pm

My guess is that there's just no Houstonians on this forum that own Vaders. The Texans around here (including me) seem to be centered around DFW.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:54 pm

Strandberg is giving out the names and addresses of people who bought their guitars so people who might be interested in trying one out can potentially use them as a showroom? People are offering their homes and instruments up for that purpose, formally and officially on the co's site?

On one hand that's nice and tight.. but on the other that's an invitation for trouble, and a little weird. That would have a tough time taking off in NYC lol. :lol:

Welcome to the new cult that guitar playing has become. Stores are disappearing so it's turning into an underground, with furtive meetings to share info.. like the Resistance in France in 1941-5.

"Wait, wait.. wait until he shows the guitar.."
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

X1Glider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby X1Glider » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:49 pm

No, no adresses for everyone to see. Haha. Yeah, that would be bad. No, just email contact info. Send a message, talk about it and figure out if it's for real. Luke I sad, I've done this with motorcycles since I had a dial up modem in the BBS days. Met some lifelong friends in the process.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars