Kiesel Solo Contest 2019

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Kiesel Solo Contest 2019

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:14 pm

Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1286368171531998/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcOfQF-VLIw&fbclid=IwAR0s9Fl0edQHcD6vzItKD195O52nULBgp62_Dnsy2bbk6wzdKQ5W2vAm8PQ

Kiesel Solo Contest 2019 Rules

1. Download the Official Backing Track here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/soq0dk5elyt0o ... l.mp3?dl=0
2. Record a video submission of your solo and upload it to YouTube with the tag #kieselsolocontest2019. (Entries uploaded to Instagram and Facebook in addition to YouTube will be eligible to win Kiesel Merch and Accessories. We will be randomly selecting one entry from Instagram or Facebook every week that the contest is open to win Kiesel Merch and Accessories.)
3. There is only to be one entry per person.
4. We(the guys at Kiesel Guitars) will narrow it down to the top 30 entries, the Solo Contest Facebook Group will vote on the top 5 Entries (so be sure to join the group to make sure you get to vote for the top 5), and then the panel of judges(Jeff Kiesel along with a few guest artists) will pick the winner.
5. DO NOT tag Jeff Kiesel, any of the guest artists, or any Kiesel Employees, the panel of judges will see your submission, I promise.
6. Submissions are to be entered in by September 30th, 2019.
7. Have Fun!

* * *PRIZES* * *
FIRST PLACE - The first place winner of the contest will win $2000 towards a Custom Osiris or Zeus Guitar (winner’s choice) a Rocker 15 Terror head from Orange Amplification, a MXR Sugar Drive, a MXR Carbon Copy Mini, one box of Dunlop strings (winner’s choice), and one bag of custom printed Dunlop picks (winner's choice).
SECOND PLACE - The second place winner wins a base model Zeus or Osiris Guitar(winner can pay for upgrades if they want any), one box of Dunlop strings (winner’s choice), and one bag of stock Dunlop guitar picks (winner’s choice).
THIRD PLACE - The third place winner wins one set of Kiesel pickups (winner’s choice), a Kiesel fret wrap, and one box of Dunlop strings (winner’s choice).

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Re: Kiesel Solo Contest 2019

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:10 am

Man I wish I was better at guitar playing. These prizes are the best yet. I made an attempt back in 2016 but I can't hang with the incredible talent across the entire world. Good luck to everyone else though.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2016 A7H

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:54 am

I remember participating in one of these solo contests a few years ago.
While I was glad to have participated, I can only remember one entry that didn't outshine my own.
I'm just not a guitar solo god.

Good luck to all you who enter! 8)
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:06 am

I am glad, though, that the provided backing track this time is much more simple and laid back. I don't remember if it was the last one, but there was one where the backing track was so busy, it was almost like trying to solo over a solo..

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:06 am

spudmunkey wrote:I am glad, though, that the provided backing track this time is much more simple and laid back. I don't remember if it was the last one, but there was one where the backing track was so busy, it was almost like trying to solo over a solo..

Yeah, that was the last one. 2017 I believe. Like a Jazzy track with little lead fills lol.

I don't think they did one in 2018. Either that or they skipped 2017 and did one last year. Either way I don't stand a chance. There is already 6 or 7 up on YouTube.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2016 A7H

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:00 am

Might this be the year I finally create an entry? Maybe....I can generally hold my own but some of these woodshedders are pretty incredible. I suppose if they are looking for straight pyrotechnics, I'll lose. If they are interesting in phrasing and emotive resolutions then I suppose I've got as good a chance as anyone. You don't know until you try, at any rate.
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:11 am

Someone asked if there would be a "riff" contest, because he can't "shred".

The "official" reply was:
We aren't looking for fast shred or muscle memory or anything specific. We are looking for creativity and feel.

The last contest, there were definitely better shredders than the winner, and besides from a "taste" point of view, I can't say I disagree with the winning choice.

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:54 am

I am writing a solo for this now. Almost finished but the track is a bit fast paced for me lol. Funny coming from a metal head but my problem is I started writing it at .75 speed on youtube and now that its almost finished I am having to practice the hell out of it to get up to speed. :wall:
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2016 A7H

Other's:

jacob5150

Postby jacob5150 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:47 am

I've been listening to everyone's entries to get an idea of the overall feel on this one. Today will be my first day playing around with it, but before I do, does anyone have an Idea of the chords? My ear isn't the best, but it seems to be in D Major? If not that, them maybe D mixolydian? Sounds like it's only 3 chords throughout.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:43 am

Jack'O'Licious wrote:I am writing a solo for this now. Almost finished but the track is a bit fast paced for me lol. Funny coming from a metal head but my problem is I started writing it at .75 speed on youtube and now that its almost finished I am having to practice the hell out of it to get up to speed. :wall:

I appreciate that you're taking the time. I don't understand how someone could bother posting something within, like, 2 hours of the backing track being released. Like...maybe it's the best you can play, but is it really the best solo you could write? Maybe...maybe some people just have the brain to be able to be their most creative upon first listen, but I'm amazed by how many were posted in the first day.

jacob5150

Postby jacob5150 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:02 am

spudmunkey wrote:
Jack'O'Licious wrote:I am writing a solo for this now. Almost finished but the track is a bit fast paced for me lol. Funny coming from a metal head but my problem is I started writing it at .75 speed on youtube and now that its almost finished I am having to practice the hell out of it to get up to speed. :wall:

I appreciate that you're taking the time. I don't understand how someone could bother posting something within, like, 2 hours of the backing track being released. Like...maybe it's the best you can play, but is it really the best solo you could write? Maybe...maybe some people just have the brain to be able to be their most creative upon first listen, but I'm amazed by how many were posted in the first day.

Yeah I agree, I know I wouldn't be able to do a one and done thing for this. I just got around to play along with it today, and I have too many ideas for it :lol: My problem is I don't have a guitar in front of me enough, and my best thoughts are when I'm at work haha. I think I figured out the progression though. D, Bm, A , I can tell there's some variations of the chords. It's funny though, you don't realize how short the clip is until you play along with it

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:35 am

spudmunkey wrote:

My thoughts exactly. IMHO, there are many that aren't very good but the players show a lot of talent. It makes me wonder if they had just taken more time (deadline isn't until 9-30-19) they could have pumped out a real winner. I think theres already like a hundred and its only 4 or 5 days old. However, there are several that are very very good for such a short notice.

jacob5150 wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:

Yeah I agree, I know I wouldn't be able to do a one and done thing for this. I just got around to play along with it today, and I have too many ideas for it :lol: My problem is I don't have a guitar in front of me enough, and my best thoughts are when I'm at work haha. I think I figured out the progression though. D, Bm, A , I can tell there's some variations of the chords. It's funny though, you don't realize how short the clip is until you play along with it

Actually, I think its G - Bm - A. At least that's what my ears told me and that's what I am writing to.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2016 A7H

Other's:

jacob5150

Postby jacob5150 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:51 pm

I think you're right. I was playing in D major and it sounded good, so I'm assuming the song is in G lydian?

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:13 pm

jacob5150 wrote:I think you're right. I was playing in D major and it sounded good, so I'm assuming the song is in G lydian?

Honestly I do not know the key it is considered to be in. I just know the chord progression. I am not too knowledgeable in the music theory area. I learned all my playing by ear and learning chords here and there from charts and guitar world magazines in the early 2000's lol.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2016 A7H

Other's:

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:17 am

Aww, man.

I was part of it in 2016, and had made up a rough solo for 2017, but never entered then. I'll jump back in this year. Who knows, maybe someone will like it :P
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

jacob5150

Postby jacob5150 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:15 am

I've been actively following the hashtag on Youtube and pretty much watched all the submissions so far. Not sure how I didn't know about these in past years. It's really aspiring to watch all the different styles and approaches on this backing track. I know I'm not half has good as most of them submitted, but I'm really excited to post something for this ( I don't think I've ever posted guitar work online before.)

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:35 pm

I felt similarly nervous with my first try back in 2016. While it didn't win, or even make the top 30, I did receive a lot of messages, so having that feedback was excellent. Nowadays, I can claim to be a recorded artist (on a small, mostly unknown label, as a guest bassist :P ) but that entry is what gave me the courage to do more, and let people hear my playing.

It's not about technical prowess. Lord knows I'm not that great, and have had some real obstacles as a lefty playing right handed, as well as having multiple injuries to my hands and one wrist. Music's not really about all that, anyway; it's about the expression of emotion, just like writing. Think of playing an instrument and making music as analogous to caligraphy and writing a poem or book.

Go for it, man. You have nothing to lose.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:01 am

I just finished writing my solo completely. I have one part that's just a little fast and I am having trouble nailing it live with the full solo. Few more days of rehearsing I should get the video shot and posted.

I am 100% sure I wont win but its still fun. I have watched every single entry so far and man there is just soooo much talent out there in the world. Crazy to see how far guitar playing has come in the past 20 years and how many people are as good as they are. Before the internet and YouTube it seemed like only the giant superstars were this good.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2016 A7H

Other's:

smoobg
Links/Contact:

Postby smoobg » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:51 am

I love the process of coming up with a melody, and seeing it develop over a week or so of playing around with it. There is so much value in coming up with something that is uniquely yours. I'll be at peace with what I submit, knowing it was my best, and that it was what came out of my head/ears/hands...

Koshchei
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:11 pm

ElfDude wrote:I remember participating in one of these solo contests a few years ago.
While I was glad to have participated, I can only remember one entry that didn't outshine my own.
I'm just not a guitar solo god.

Good luck to all you who enter! 8)

Your entry was good, Elf! Unlike so many, it was lyrical, made melodic sense, and was underpinned by solid musicianship. My entry was an an homage to yours (the music anyway --the video was a big middle finger to the idea of guitar, and music in general, as a competitive sport).

No more contest entries for me though. I felt dirty after entering the last one.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars