Possible Kiesel "explorer" for 5 Finger Death Punch guitarist?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Possible Kiesel "explorer" for 5 Finger Death Punch guitarist?

Postby helldorado » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:41 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Yeah, that walnut is either going to be a love hate thing. I personally wouldn't want a guit that is open to so many eh.. resemblance jokes in the figure.

Whereas I would love any guitar that allows me to ask people to gaze longingly at my crotch walnut, and not get arrested. :lol:

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:38 pm

ioneater wrote:How much do Explorer types typically weigh? I had an Ibby Destroyer when I was a kid and haven't touched anything like it since then. I hated the neck on that thing.

This is my second Destroyer - the first one was way prettier, but I dropped it and broke the headstock (even with a volute!). But I love this one 'cause my amazing wife surprised me with it a couple Christmases back. No neck dive and the size/feel is basically the same as a Gibson "Slim Taper" profile.

The Hello Kitty sticker covers a dime-sized ding in the finish, I think someone whacked a mic boom with it.

20171225_105811.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please REGISTER or LOG IN.

ioneater
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ioneater » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:52 pm

How much do you reckon your Destroyer weighs? I think of Adrian Smith every time I see one.

It would be interesting to feel one again after 30yrs and many guitars later. The neck profile on mine was what drove me to look at Charvel/Jackson and the new at the time Wizard necks on the Ibanezes of the late great 80's. Ended up with a used Charvel Model 5 that lasted until I could afford my first Carvin!

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:18 am

Destroyer? I don't guess I have ever seen one. Not too far from an iceman. I used to love Iceman's when I first played guitar but I never evm touched one nor have I seen one in person. It was mainly the fact that Daron from System of a Down played them and that was my favorite band when I picked up a guitar for the first time.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2020 Vader 7X (Used to have an Aries 7H with Piezo but regretfully sold it)

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:42 am

All this reminds me of the Washburn A20 I had picked up years ago. The thing just completely ripped and I loved the brass circle inlays they used, but it had a V profile neck that I couldn't get into. I kind of regret selling it only because it was rare and I got it for a steal at the time when those 80's guitars were selling for next to nothing in the late 90's early 2000's.

This isn't a photo of the one I had, but it looked just like it. Same finish, brass inlays, flamed top, creme pickups, binding, etc...

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:55 am

helldorado wrote:All this reminds me of the Washburn A20 I had picked up years ago. The thing just completely ripped and I loved the brass circle inlays they used, but it had a V profile neck that I couldn't get into. I kind of regret selling it only because it was rare and I got it for a steal at the time when those 80's guitars were selling for next to nothing in the late 90's early 2000's.

This isn't a photo of the one I had, but it looked just like it. Same finish, brass inlays, flamed top, creme pickups, binding, etc...

That's awesome, like a les paul look on a crazy shape body. Those inlays are sweet, Kiesel! Get this option asap!
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2020 Vader 7X (Used to have an Aries 7H with Piezo but regretfully sold it)

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

Doctor Turn
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:04 am

What sort of bridge is that? It automatically registered as an old kahler but that's definitely not what it is.

When I think of Destroyers and Iceman I think of Paul Stanley Eisen. Very cool running up to 1976. Douchey boy thereafter.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:06 am

Doctor Turn wrote:What sort of bridge is that? It automatically registered as an old kahler but that's definitely not what it is.

When I think of Destroyers and Iceman I think of Paul Stanley Eisen. Very cool running up to 1976. Douchey boy thereafter.

Looks like a simple string-through hardtail, kinda like the Hipshot.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:11 am

It's washburn's "Harmonic Lock" bridge.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:27 pm

ioneater wrote:How much do you reckon your Destroyer weighs?

It's in the 8-lb neighborhood, not too heavy at all for me (I'd be OK with heavier, actually). By an odd coincidence, it seems like all 5 of my full-sized electrics are in that 8-lb range, even though they're different body sizes and shapes (however, all are mahogany/maple cap except for the alder Dinky). The Dinky has a maple neck and flatter profile with a 12"-16" compound radius ebony fretboard (much like the new Kiesel option). The others are all mahogany with rosewood boards, and all feel very similar - the classic "slim taper' C-shape - which is probably why I like them.

Both my previous Carvins had the same basic neck feel.

ioneater
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby ioneater » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:19 pm

8lbs is less than I would have expected with all that wood! My Bolt weighs that much. I pawned my Destroyer II in my late twenties and it may have weighed the same; didn't matter very much in those days. I sure notice now. I guess my point to this is I'm assuming an explorer would weigh approximately the same or more depending on construction and the wood lottery......?

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:36 am

The V220 uses close to a similar amount of wood as an explorer wood and they're usually in the 8 pound range.

Here's one in-stock and it's 8.2 pounds.
https://www.kieselguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/121978

I'm not sure what my V220 weighs, but it would be on the heavier side because I opted for an all maple build on it because that's how they were built back in the 80's.

Doctor Turn
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:14 pm

helldorado wrote: I opted for an all maple build on it because that's how they were built back in the 80's.

Unless you were an early koa adopter and got solid figured plank for an upgrade charge of like 40 twizzlers :lol: :mrgreen:

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

helldorado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby helldorado » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:32 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Unless you were an early koa adopter and got solid figured plank for an upgrade charge of like 40 twizzlers :lol: :mrgreen:

Yeah, I missed that opportunity mainly because I was like 5 at the time. :lol:

Doctor Turn
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:52 pm

Hey don't hate because I was around for the real thing that you're tryna recreate! 8) :lol:

(Hey there's a song in there... Don't hate.. what u recreate. Don't hate.. :rockon: )
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

micmil

Postby micmil » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:12 pm

Jack'O'Licious wrote:Destroyer? I don't guess I have ever seen one. Not too far from an iceman. I used to love Iceman's when I first played guitar but I never evm touched one nor have I seen one in person. It was mainly the fact that Daron from System of a Down played them and that was my favorite band when I picked up a guitar for the first time.

I had a late 70's PS10. The Iceman sits a lot like a Les Paul. Similar weight.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars