A Pickup Description Post!

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

johnnyninja
Gold Member
Gold Member

re: A Pickup Description Post!

Postby johnnyninja » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:15 pm

I have a Lithium installed in the bridge of my HH2x. It's the best high gain sound I have ever achieved. The tone is full from low to highs. It's thick, articulate, and the notes don't mush together. The clarity is excellent. Fantastic pickup for my needs.

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: re: A Pickup Description Post!

Postby MatiasTolkki » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:56 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:I often wonder why the Jason Becker JB200C tribute uses an M22V, since that pickup only came into being in 92, long after he began slinging his two famous purple and blue carvins. He undoubtedly used a straight M22 (aka M22N) in the neck position and the M22SD at the bridge.

The M22V was introduced in 1992's catalog as their take on a 1959 PAF style humbucker's tone. See here:

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/92-guitars.html

By that time I believe Jason was in the chair, sadly.

SO unbelievably sad, Becker... I watched the movie last night. Tight throat all the way through. Such a good guy, really sweet kid, with Randy Rhoads type genius on guitar. He's an incredible person. Metal is not my arena, but my god could he play . . .anything.

Wow, didn't know that. Had I known that, I woulda put the M22N in my JB when I ordered it :lol:
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RGR580x2 (Pearl white, Deep Wine)
RG5000
RG750VP
1996 Ibanez Blazer reissue

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
JB200C the Purple demon of Nagoya
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

Bredo
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Bredo » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:13 am

The M22V is my all time fav neck humbucker PU.

It sounds GREAT when lowering the volume (dist amp, lowered almost all the way down for a cleanish sound).
It also sound Very Good in split mode. And.......

.... for full out uberdist solos.
Carvin Guitars 1996-2016: DC127T - SC90S - DC135M - BOLT HSS - TL60 - BOLT HSS - DC600 - DC127M - PB4 - SC90M - DC135 - BOLT-C - DC127M - DC145C - CS624 - DC127M - DC600H - SC90 Last Run Ed - Bolt Plus Last Run - CS324 20th Ann
Carvin Amps: VL100/VL412C - 2 X100Bs - V3M/212V - MTS 3200

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:42 am

Oh sure-- hand up, palm outward.. I have never played it so can't comment either way. I've heard people playing it and it sounds wonderful so I'm not coming anywhere near criticizing the pickup. And I don't think the variance between that and the N is THAT big. Once amp and tone tweaks come into play . . . not a huge margin I'm sure. The only "night and day" situation of one to another M22 is any M22 vs the M22SD. THAT'S an immediately noticeable difference from one to the other.

I was just curious, since they were building the JB200 based on Jason Becker's ST style DC200 stereo for guys who wanted to mimic his tone... why they didn't just give them the same neck pickup he used.

Still a completely blazing guitar, and probably not THAT much different at all.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Altered_Ego
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Altered_Ego » Sun May 15, 2016 9:29 am

Doctor Turn wrote:I should have this done in a day or two. This weekend for sure.

Did I miss this somewhere? Was it in a different thread? I'm probably going to order an Ultra V soon and I'm trying to decide on p/us. I was going to go with the S22's (looking for more of a bluesy guitar, rather than a metal guitar), but after reading your posts, I am thinking of giving the M22N/SD combo a try. Versatile is good. That gets the guitar in my hand more.
Got it: Cobalt 750TS
Got it: Bolt
Got it: SC90
Got it: Ultra-V
Need it: FG1
Got it: Nomad
Got it: Vintage 16
Need it: AG200D

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon May 16, 2016 1:30 pm

I'll have to hunt them up. I created a new thread for them when I posted them.

My Carvin after all these years is still the most versatile axe I've ever played. All you have to do is listen to the streak of songs I've put up since August (a rare moment in time when I was down to one electric guitar, prior to grabbing this Hag P90 LP copy--the DC150K is the one axe I'll never part with, pretty much lifetime number one) and listen to how different I can make it sound using ONLY the guitar, a vintage (before the fuzzy years) X100B combo, a compression pedal, and a 32 track board.

So I can definitely recommend the combination, obviously. Different woods may give mildly different results (Bredo may be able to speak here). I've played M22's in other guitars but can't speak with authority since I haven't spent a lot of time with them in straight maple, or alder, for example.

I'll hunt up the links.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Altered_Ego
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Altered_Ego » Mon May 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Thanks for responding. I am going to order an Ultra V today and I'm trying to narrow down the pups. I have been leaning towards the S22s. I have a Bolt with AP11s and an SC90 with C22B and J. I am looking for the Ultra V to be more of a blues guitar than a metal guitar, but versatility is not a bad thing. As long as the M22SD and N can do some good blues tones (clean and dirty) through a Nomad, then I might go with those.
Got it: Cobalt 750TS

Got it: Bolt

Got it: SC90

Got it: Ultra-V

Need it: FG1

Got it: Nomad

Got it: Vintage 16

Need it: AG200D

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: A Pickup Description Post!

Postby wickid » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:43 am

bump for reference.
Hey dometal ... link this topic in your sig (I think mine's full ... of guitars).
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Dometalican » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:51 pm

wickid wrote:
bump for reference.
Hey dometal ... link this topic in your sig (I think mine's full ... of guitars).

Done. lol.
Rig goals:
1 A6C
2 AC375 (or AC475; 7-string preferred)
3 Carvin V3412
4 X64
5 Carvin BX1600
6 DC700C (27" scale)
7 Extended scale or Multiscale 6-string Bass
8 AM8/KVM8
9 K6CX/SCB6CX/DC6CX (26.5"/27" scale)
For fun:
10. CT73C
11. V59K/LB75

Pickup Post that may help you!

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:58 am

Altered_Ego wrote:Thanks for responding. I am going to order an Ultra V today and I'm trying to narrow down the pups. I have been leaning towards the S22s. I have a Bolt with AP11s and an SC90 with C22B and J. I am looking for the Ultra V to be more of a blues guitar than a metal guitar, but versatility is not a bad thing. As long as the M22SD and N can do some good blues tones (clean and dirty) through a Nomad, then I might go with those.

Get the M22SD/V set, and use the push pull coil tap and you'll get blues tones for days. The M22SD split has a chimey single coil tone that's to die for for blues.
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RGR580x2 (Pearl white, Deep Wine)
RG5000
RG750VP
1996 Ibanez Blazer reissue

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
JB200C the Purple demon of Nagoya
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:56 pm

I am curious as to how the new Keisel single coils stack up against the AP11 and SA60 pups.
I know I like the AP11s in my Bolt but and haven't heard the the SA60 in person or the Kiesel single coils.
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V
DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N
Bolt ,C22T/AP11/AP11
AE185 C22T/C22N
AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
DC800 A80B/A80N
DC600 M22SD/M22V
AC375, CL450, AC275K
CT7M KL14B/KL14N
SB5000 J99A pups

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:21 am

MatiasTolkki wrote:
Altered_Ego wrote:Thanks for responding. I am going to order an Ultra V today and I'm trying to narrow down the pups. I have been leaning towards the S22s. I have a Bolt with AP11s and an SC90 with C22B and J. I am looking for the Ultra V to be more of a blues guitar than a metal guitar, but versatility is not a bad thing. As long as the M22SD and N can do some good blues tones (clean and dirty) through a Nomad, then I might go with those.

Get the M22SD/V set, and use the push pull coil tap and you'll get blues tones for days. The M22SD split has a chimey single coil tone that's to die for for blues.

He bought his guitar awhile ago. If it's the one I'm thinking of, he went with the N, which is a bigger fatter pickup and more suited to blues.

On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend the M22SD to anyone to play blues on if they're hunting that classic bubbly blues tone.. that's classically a neck pickup sound of a softer output pup. Yes, you can play blues through it and if the guy happens to be a a good blues guitarist, his playing will sound good almost anywhere through anything, and stereotypes are made to be broken. But if someone is hunting specifically that round full bloomy blues tone, meh on the SD.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Terry Tibbs
Links/Contact:

Postby Terry Tibbs » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:57 am

dbone wrote:I am curious as to how the new Keisel single coils stack up against the AP11 and SA60 pups.
I know I like the AP11s in my Bolt but and haven't heard the the SA60 in person or the Kiesel single coils.

Me too

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:57 pm

Terry Tibbs wrote:
dbone wrote:I am curious as to how the new Keisel single coils stack up against the AP11 and SA60 pups.

Me too

I should be able to compare them against AP11s soon.
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on FaceBook
My YouTube Channel

relias7505
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby relias7505 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:47 am

Great posting guys. Kiesel/Carvin pickups don't get the attention they deserve!
My Kiesel/Carvin collection: ST300 (M22SD bridge, S60A middle, Twin Blade neck), SCB6 (S22B bridge, S22J neck), Bolt Classic (AP11's in all positions), SH550 (S22T in the neck and bridge), AC375 and CL450. Also a Carvin V3M 50watt head with a Carvin 1x12 cabinet and Fender Jazz Bass.

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:19 am

Doctor Turn wrote:
MatiasTolkki wrote:

He bought his guitar awhile ago. If it's the one I'm thinking of, he went with the N, which is a bigger fatter pickup and more suited to blues.

On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend the M22SD to anyone to play blues on if they're hunting that classic bubbly blues tone.. that's classically a neck pickup sound of a softer output pup. Yes, you can play blues through it and if the guy happens to be a a good blues guitarist, his playing will sound good almost anywhere through anything, and stereotypes are made to be broken. But if someone is hunting specifically that round full bloomy blues tone, meh on the SD.

The M22SD does well in split mode, and still cleans up respectably with the volume control. I use it on guitars a whole bunch, and often find myself on a dirty channel, rolling the volume down, and then when needing the distortion just rolling the volume up. The SD will definitely give light distortion when rolled way down. I've also had very similar results from an EMG-81, though its volume was rolled almost completely down, borderline off. The only issue with passive pickups is how their response changes as the volume is rolled down. Coil split helps avoid this (less inductace/resistance/capacitance).

M22V/SD set has been one of the best sets I've had, and will trade punches with an L500R/XL set. EMG 60/81 isn't bad, either, though it's harder to control.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:45 am

I recently purchased a brand new S-S-S Aries with the Lithium single coil pickups and immediately did an A - B comparison against my S-S-S Bolt with AP11s (which I love).

Some have said that they don't like the AP11s very much as far as single coils go because they're too meaty. I remember someone saying he thought the AP11s were more like P-90s than Strat pickups. Well, the Lithiums address this. They sound fantastic, but are definitely more Stratty (brighter, maybe twangier) than the Bolt with AP11s. The AP11s are just a hair louder, but the Lithiums still have plenty of output. They both beat my Gibson P-90s in volume.

I think the AP11s remain my favorite. But that's just a personal preference.
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100

Midlife Crisis on FaceBook

My YouTube Channel

TylerE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby TylerE » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:01 am

I have an SSS Vader on order with S60As. Targetting classic Strat tone... we'll see.

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:37 pm

ElfDude wrote:I recently purchased a brand new S-S-S Aries with the Lithium single coil pickups and immediately did an A - B comparison against my S-S-S Bolt with AP11s (which I love).

Some have said that they don't like the AP11s very much as far as single coils go because they're too meaty. I remember someone saying he thought the AP11s were more like P-90s than Strat pickups. Well, the Lithiums address this. They sound fantastic, but are definitely more Stratty (brighter, maybe twangier) than the Bolt with AP11s. The AP11s are just a hair louder, but the Lithiums still have plenty of output. They both beat my Gibson P-90s in volume.

I think the AP11s remain my favorite. But that's just a personal preference.

Sounds similar to how I'd describe the S60As, maybe an uncovered 6 pole version of those? :think:
Altho maybe a bit higher output than the S60s, but that might be splitting hairs.
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars