A Pickup Description Post!

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: re: A Pickup Description Post!

Postby MatiasTolkki » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:44 pm

X-Mann wrote:
ElfDude wrote:
X-Mann wrote:I'm kind of surprised at the difference in sound/tone on the C22N pickup I have in each guitar though. In the CT it's just OK & slightly muddy at times, but in the CS it has that phat woody tone & clarity at the exact same time. I really perfer it in the CS, but the added covers in my CT have fixed the muddy issue I was having.

I'm continually surprised as well at how different the same pickup can sound in different guitars... especially neck pickups. It took me a long time to find the ideal neck pickup for my CT. Now that seems to be the quest for my recently acquired (and beloved) SH445. So far I've tried the C22J, the H22N, and the C22N. And the jury is still out. :lol:

Yes, this is a very interesting thing to me too Elf. Imagine how many pickups you've tried that didn't work in one guitar & you (or me) thought that you just didn't like that pickup at all.

Again, I was suprised that adding the cover fixed the issue I was having in the neck pup too. It's really like having a totally different set in my CT now too. 8)

X

Why would the cover fix the issue though? That seems really weird.

X-Mann
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

re: A Pickup Description Post!

Postby X-Mann » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:28 am

Well, either the cover reduced some of the muddy bass or because it was an entirely new pickup & it was just wound different. I'll never know & don't care since it's fixed it for the better.

Either way, it's like night & day now.

X

PS - Magic is also another Theory I have too! Yea, I'm going w/ good old Carvin Magic on this one! :laughhard:

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:37 am

X-Mann wrote:Well, either the cover reduced some of the muddy bass or because it was an entirely new pickup & it was just wound different. I'll never know & don't care since it's fixed it for the better.

Either way, it's like night & day now.

X

PS - Magic is also another Theory I have too! Yea, I'm going w/ good old Carvin Magic on this one! :laughhard:

I think Mark and Jeff are secretly witches and their witches' brew is mixing up a lot of cool ideas and parts and all of the cool things just appear out of thin air :shh: :shh:

Lucidology

Postby Lucidology » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:08 pm

Very nice & much appreciated work ...great reference chart for all of us.

Would you say a Carvin CCJ is similar to a Fralin Twangmaster (which is so totally Tele sounding that it almost has the ability to totally transform a double humbucker guitars orientation ...?

(That is, of course, if you are familiar with Fralin Twangmasters,,,)

Anyhow ... thanks again.

Tabare777
Carvinite
Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Tabare777 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:33 am

Dometalican wrote:
Tabare777 wrote:OK, so who can give a description of Jeff's new 8 stringers?

Not sure yet but here are the links to the riffage:

8 Stringer: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pickup ... clips.html

7 Stringer: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pickup ... clips.html

They sound really good. Sorry for jumping to conclusions (considering the lack of pickup knowledge some of the young 'djent' crowd has...). Loving them.

Thanks Dome, sorry hadn't seen this :mrgreen:
Tabare777 WEBSITE
Kiesel VM8 & Carvin DC800
DV Mark Little 40II & Mesa Dual Recto 2x12 Cab

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:47 am

Grrr, I wanna know about the 6 string pups :( my rg685 needs good pickups :(

ElfDude

Re: A Pickup Description Post!

Postby ElfDude » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:02 am

Dometalican wrote:C22T

MAJOR blues in this bridge pickup. There is no rock or jazz essence in this pickup so this is for the person that wants ANOTHER telecaster pickup, there you go! lol. It's not that popular because of this description but hey, someone on Youtube actually does love this pickup when he played nothing but blues on it.

*EDIT* Let me rephrase, it can do rock but we're talking classic/vintage rock. Definitely not 'hard rock' but can do 'alternative rock' like John Mayer, Sugar Ray (when they cleaned up), and Smash Mouth. It's just softer than the next pickup below.

I just had my first opportunity yesterday to hear the C22T in something other than my AE185 (came stock when I bought the guitar new in 2002). I put it in the guitar shown below with an AP11 at the neck. I find it to be pretty trebly... kinda jangly. But not thin enough to do the work of a single coil. It was fine in the AE185 with the preamp, but here in a passive guitar I find it lacking in output. It's weak when split into single coil mode. Even in humbucking mode, it's actually having a tough time keeping up with the output of the AP11 at the neck.

If you're into vintage output pickups (and I know plenty of people are) and want some high end, maybe to brighten up a naturally dark-sounding guitar or something, this would be an excellent pickup for your needs. It has given this guitar a different voice than all my other guitars so I think I'll leave it installed for a while just for the sake of variety. 8)

SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on FaceBook
My YouTube Channel

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Geddy » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:41 am

Hey Elfdude. I realize that this is probably a silly question, but ... did you try raising the bridge pickup a little? I always adjust the pickups to a starting point and then I start raise or lower the bass side and then the treble side to what my ear likes. But when I hear a bridge pickup lacking in output I'm thinking it's either too much air between the pickup and strings or it's possibly a potentiometer issue.

In any case, that is a great looking guitar.

Cheers,
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
CS624M Ginger
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Marshall 1960A,
Bogner 212C Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's.
Custom Pedalboard

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:47 am

If I ever wanted a semi-hollow, I'd steal Elfdude's :laughhard:
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RGR580x2 (Pearl white, Deep Wine)
RG5000
RG750VP
1996 Ibanez Blazer reissue

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
JB200C the Purple demon of Nagoya
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:52 am

Geddy wrote:Hey Elfdude. I realize that this is probably a silly question, but ... did you try raising the bridge pickup a little?

Very valid question.

Yes, I got it up way high. At this point if I want better balance I'll have to achieve it by lowering the neck pickup. But I really love the sound of the neck pickup where it is, so that's not gonna happen. :mrgreen:
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100

My YouTube Channel

Fusion Pirate

Postby Fusion Pirate » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:53 pm

My 2002 DC747 has got the standard D26 humbucker pair along with the AP13 single coil in the middle. As far as I'm concerned, this thing is a tonal Swiss Army Knife~ from bebop to fusion, from Robert Cray to Alex Lifeson, these pups can cover just about any tone/style convincingly.

Here is a video from about a year ago; this is a tune I wrote/arranged/performed for a guitar contest entry (that I didn't win! haha) It covers a lot of the tonal ground this pickup combo is capable of, from glassy clean, to searing lead. Note: the 'lead melody' and improvised solo are both done using the D26N neck pickup! Dometalican's description of the D26N couldn't be more spot-on. Superbly versatile!!

DC747 playing example (D26N - AP13 - D26B)

Evster2012
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Evster2012 » Wed May 27, 2015 2:03 pm

*BUMP* Let's get this thread updated to include the Kiesels! :D

Bredo
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Bredo » Wed May 27, 2015 3:58 pm

In about a week + transportation time I will have my Grabber Blue DC127M with direct mounted KL12B/N.

I will play them against my other Carvin PU's (which include my all time favs).

But I am still NOT being able to play more than 2 x 15 min, on a good day. My back injury/infection have me linked to the heavy Oxy painkillers (but I'm only a couple of weeks before I can throw away my crutches).

Anyway, I will try to chime in with a comparison and a description :wink:
Carvin Guitars 1996-2016: DC127T - SC90S - DC135M - BOLT HSS - TL60 - BOLT HSS - DC600 - DC127M - PB4 - SC90M - DC135 - BOLT-C - DC127M - DC145C - CS624 - DC127M - DC600H - SC90 Last Run Ed - Bolt Plus Last Run - CS324 20th Ann
Carvin Amps: VL100/VL412C - 2 X100Bs - V3M/212V - MTS 3200

Bredo
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Bredo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:57 pm

charvaxe wrote:I have to disagree about the C22T. It does very well at classic hard rock and classic metal through my V-3.

A big +1.

I have found a "renewed" love for the C22T and the M22T these days. Both these do 70's and 80's Hard Rock'n'Metal with ease. Probably even more modern metal tones also, as it also works great through a Mesa Dual Rectifier.
Works great with "marshallish" type of amps, in addition to the V3M and the X100B. As in GREAT :mrgreen:
Last edited by Bredo on Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carvin Guitars 1996-2016: DC127T - SC90S - DC135M - BOLT HSS - TL60 - BOLT HSS - DC600 - DC127M - PB4 - SC90M - DC135 - BOLT-C - DC127M - DC145C - CS624 - DC127M - DC600H - SC90 Last Run Ed - Bolt Plus Last Run - CS324 20th Ann

Bredo
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Bredo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:09 pm

Gratattacker wrote:The M22T sounds awesome (way better than the C22B in my opinion), and has no problem hitting any harmonics. Amazing pickup.

Agree on all accounts. The M22T is an amazing PU.

toolmanny
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby toolmanny » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:11 am

We can't forget to mention the Parralax along with the Kiesel's... :applause:
2016 Kiesel DC600T (Satin Blue Denim Flame-Yellow burst)
2012 Carvin Ultra V (Gloss Moss Green Flame)
2011 Carvin ST300T (Satin Teal Flame-Black burst)
2008 Schecter Tempest Classic (Faded Cherry Sunburst)
Orange Crush 35RT
Fender Frontman 25r (Texas Red)

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:57 pm

Well, Bredo-man, your enthusiasm for the M22SD got me curious. When I bought my CT4M it came with an M22SD at the bridge and for me, it didn't work in that guitar. I liked the C22B in the CT4 better.

For a couple of years I've had that M22SD in an old 80s Hondo Formula 1 guitar. It sounded pretty good there. But you really love them in the Carvin neck-through guitars like the DC127. So tonight I pulled the M22SD out of the Formula 1 and installed it at the bridge of my DC135. This is the fourth bridge pickup I've tried in that guitar, and I cannot deny, it sounds very nice there. I like it both clean and overdriven. Nice and bright when clean. And I do like the way it splits. I'm going going to say whether it or the C22B sounds better... they're just different... like a DiMarzio Super Distortion and a DiMarzio Breed are both good, just different.

Anyway, I'm glad you indirectly convinced me to try this. It's a really good pickup for this guitar and I plan on leaving it there indefinitely.

My YouTube Channel

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:04 am

ElfDude wrote:Well, Bredo-man, your enthusiasm for the M22SD got me curious. When I bought my CT4M it came with an M22SD at the bridge and for me, it didn't work in that guitar. I liked the C22B in the CT4 better.

For a couple of years I've had that M22SD in an old 80s Hondo Formula 1 guitar. It sounded pretty good there. But you really love them in the Carvin neck-through guitars like the DC127. So tonight I pulled the M22SD out of the Formula 1 and installed it at the bridge of my DC135. This is the fourth bridge pickup I've tried in that guitar, and I cannot deny, it sounds very nice there. I like it both clean and overdriven. Nice and bright when clean. And I do like the way it splits. I'm going going to say whether it or the C22B sounds better... they're just different... like a DiMarzio Super Distortion and a DiMarzio Breed are both good, just different.

Anyway, I'm glad you indirectly convinced me to try this. It's a really good pickup for this guitar and I plan on leaving it there indefinitely.

See? The M22SD is a sexy pup ;)
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RGR580x2 (Pearl white, Deep Wine)
RG5000
RG750VP
1996 Ibanez Blazer reissue

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
JB200C the Purple demon of Nagoya
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:42 am

I can't agree more with the above praise for the M22SD which I've been using for exactly thirty years. I (new to the forum here but been reading for a long time) have a Carvin DC150 Stereo in solid old growth koa that I had built for me and delivered to me here in NYC in 1985, my senior year in high school.

I chose the M22SD for the bridge position because I generally am not fond of the sound of bridge pickups, and I wanted something with a little more meat on the bone. On the neck position is the then-standard (thank god!) M22N.

I've has a 62 Strat, a LP, a headless Kramer DUke from the early 80's, even a weird Vantage Avenger in my teen years . . . but this DC150K is the one guitar I would never ever part with.

Back then, extremely old growth koa was easy to acquire--my guitar is solid old koa from heel to headstock. The company REALLY did me a solid... this guitar must be 6A koa!! It has: curls, bird eyes, flames, abrupt color shifts, deep dark lines streaking north to sound irregularly, and incredible 3D effects that change from angle to angle depending on which angle that you view it from: someone on the right sees a completely different guitar from the person on the left. Colors range from deep red amber, burnt sienna, raw umber, a warm rippled yellow . . . it's just incredible. I think the option for this, which today--for the cuts used in this guitar--would easily cost an extra 1-2 thousand bucks depending on who you bought it from . . . back then I think it was an extra fifty bucks!

The fact that a wood this hypnotically dazzling is also the finest tonewood for guitar, is almost magical. All the warmth and richness of the best mahogany, with just a hint of the sparkle of maple. Guitars have come and gone in my life --some gone during tight times (I do miss my 62 Strat)--but there is nothing that could make me sell this stereo 150. It's irreplaceable and sounds incredible . . . with the two fiercest M pickups with splitting and phase switching, it is a thousand guitars in one. I can dupe the finest LP, Firebird, can split them and achieve a gorgeous strat quack and shimmering tone. With my '85 XV212 w Vintage 30's, the versatility is boundless. And that's only with the guitar in mono.

Anyhow, about M22 pickups: beyond the bounds of this community, Carvin pickups and the M series take some flack . . .strangely much of it from metal minded (I am NOT into metal) players.

Strangely, the pickup critique seems to spring from the idea that the M series pickups are not "voiced" for the player. People seem to approach pickups and critique pickups in the exact reverse that I do: they want it to have a somewhat permanent "sound." Much of this stems from a genre that they play in, and so they get on the hunt for a "sound" that it already "there" when the guitar is turned on.

Nothing is more awful to me in terms of pickup concept: I want my pickups to be facilitators. I want them to allow me to get as many different kinds of high quality sounds as humanly possible. I want to be able to play Little Wing clean, moving and delicate with single coils clean, and then the next moment on stage hit a footswitch and unroll a devastating humbucker crunch chord from hell, and then the next moment throw both pickups on and get a beautiful, scooped jazzy tone.

Pre voiced pickups that lock you into a zone on the dial do not allow you to do such a thing, and when you attempt versatility, it sounds like s*%t. You're pulling a horse into an auto race, and all it can do is its best to try and simulate what it is that you're looking for.

Of course, if all you want to do is sound like Hendrix, a strat is a strat is a strat and nothing does a strat better than an american made strat. So if all you want to do is one thing, hunt that thing down in its finest incarnation and when you nail it, stick with it.

But if you have the capacity and/or the ambition to play many forms of music, and you want to explore all the different tones that your instrument and amplifier are capable of delivering to you, you'll find that a Carvin M22 pickup is a very obedient and very versatile pickup if you know what you're doing. Between the active tone controls on my vintage X amp along with the 5 band graphic, there are literally an endless number of sounds available. If you have a need for a broad variety of tone in your songwriting, the M22 is a great facilitator. SLight tone tweaks, little rolloffs of volume, offsets of amp to axe tweaks, the pickups are much much more than high output pickups.

The same way the finest pair of headphones or reference speakers deliver no bias in any direction, and deliver to you the listener precisely what is going on without distorting in any sonic direction, so do M22's deliver to you "loud and clear" (high output) what's going on with your guitar.... and it's then up to you to shape in various directions.

If you want nothing else but a classic Les Paul tone, and don't want to stray from that area of tone, buy a Les Paul. If you want nothing but that Strat tone, save up and buy an American strat.

But if you want to zip here and there throughout the sonic universe, buy yourself a quality Carvin unit,. get a good tube amp, and throw some M22's in it!

hondakillerzx
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby hondakillerzx » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:54 am

great descriptions! i wax potted my M22SD because it had the squealies badbut it has such a great tone. i thought about swapping out because its a loud pickup sometimes but the tone is killer. i like it in passive mode but on active with a little boost in treble and a slight bump in bass itll cut through anything like a knife lol. my favorite pickup ever

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars