A Pickup Description Post!

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

re: A Pickup Description Post!

Postby MatiasTolkki » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:09 pm

DoctorTurn:

I play metal almost exclusively (traditional metal like Stratovarius, Dokken etc, not modern metal) and I think the M22SD is the best pickup I have in any of my guitars. It's so easy to get the sound I want through my rig. VERY versatile for true metal :soapbox:
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RGR580x2 (Pearl white, Deep Wine)
RG5000
RG750VP
1996 Ibanez Blazer reissue

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
JB200C the Purple demon of Nagoya
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: re: A Pickup Description Post!

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:54 am

MatiasTolkki wrote:DoctorTurn:

I play metal almost exclusively (traditional metal like Stratovarius, Dokken etc, not modern metal) and I think the M22SD is the best pickup I have in any of my guitars. It's so easy to get the sound I want through my rig. VERY versatile for true metal :soapbox:

Oh sure, don't get me wrong--I certainly don't think every metal player thinks that the M series pickups stink, or that metal guitarists are the main group who level criticism at the line. I said it was strange that metal minded players (I see critiques coming up on DiMarzio forums from shredders) because the SD especially is pumped up in terms of output to satisfy heavy players). But there are without question criticisms coming at the M series from other quarters as well. You would think that rather than the younger crop of guitarists, the people who would be most opposed to such a loud line would be jazz/fusion guitarists who look for a more ALnico 2 (or 3) type of subtlety.

I actually just posted a song up on SoundCloud which I finished about 3 weeks ago, I used my old 1985 koa DC150 . . . and at various points of the song you can hear the M22N distorted and (almost) clean. ANd you can also hear the M22SD (second verse "The sweetest things,") take over that section of the song's crunch chords to increase the energy level.

I've gotten away from the furious speed playing of my younger years and focus much more on songwriting nowadays. Anyhow this is a 1985 Koa DC150 stereo run through a 1985 XV212 with the G12m70's swapped out for some Vintage 30's, which go really well with this amp. There aren't any effects on the guitar in terms of pedals, I'm just plugged straight into the amp, and miked w/ an AT2020... there is some final effect tube compression, and in the very very beginning there is a touch of digital vibrato.

If you hate it don't go too hard on me!!

https://soundcloud.com/user-353553220/h ... tion-night

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Dometalican » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:03 am

Alright folks, I added Kiesel pickups. To save you from the page flipping, I'm putting what I added here:

The Kiesel pickups

I put this as an entire section because these pickups practically revolutionized the way Carvin/Kiesel voiced their pickups. Evidently, it also changed the look to the standard pole pieces...more-or-less to cater to the folks that despised (for some reason...) the look of the 22-pole-piece system.

LITHIUMS (6/7/8 string pickups)

Before I even add input, here are a few links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka10b4Nqu8I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnJDuceirIM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gaDrIxSwRA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp56kjmc3mE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORj5zez2-gI
and finally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ump5N0m18EA

Ok, what happens when too many people get Carvin/Kiesel guitars and swap out the pickups? Kiesel gets angry and spawns out these standard pole-piece powerful pickups of INSANITY! (Just kidding...Jeff wasn't mad as far as I know...lol). Honestly, these pickups were made to counter DiMarzios, Seymour Duncans, BareKnuckles, Lace, AND Lundgren pickups alike to make these surprisingly cheap 'boutique' pickups. These pickups, as you heard in these videos, were made for practically EVERY style of music; whether it'd be from BRUTALITY, to hard rock, to blues, to even jazz. When you look at the stats, you'd almost think that these pickups would be way too loud or noisy; not the case here. Also REALLY good for down-tuners; still punchy, crisp, and clear.

Here's the thing I've noticed from the pickups that players HAVE to understand: these pickups DO NOT replace the sound of your guitar (it sounds weird but bare with me). Jeff said it himself:

"these pickups are made to blend with the guitar."

In other words, the knobs that some players don't use can actually impact the tone of those pickups HEAVILY. That and the amp settings could actually change the voice of these pickups completely. It's not always JUST the pickups. Why do you think DiMarzio and SD make SO MANY pickups? They all have different voicing characteristics (that, and of course signature guitarists got their own pickups) but these Kiesels were made to allow the player to re-adjust their knobs and amp settings to REALLY test out the voicing of these pickups. Am I saying that EVERYONE should find their voicing in these pickups? Of course not but what I'm saying is that these pickups have the rare ability of actually portraying MANY different voices for your guitar. It's like getting an amp: ya gotta play around with it and make sure if you find your favorite tone out of them.

For the record, when split from the neck, that's where there's a good sweet vintage spot while splitting the bridge can give you a much warmer single coil tone that sounds REALLY pleasant. Also, you'd be surprised, even the F# string is INCREDIBLY clear and punchy with these things on an 8-string; I only mention this because that was one of the top 3 things that impressed me the most about these pickups.

Parallax (Greg Howe's signature model)

For those who thought: "OMG...more metal pickups...really?", well...it wasn't ALL 'metal' but this bridge pickup is for the players that want a bridge pickup that slaps Fender pickups in the face (wha-PA!). This is a pure vintage pickup that has great spank and has a pretty darn good rockability/classic rock vibe; perfect for classic players. Sure the pickup was for Greg Howe mainly but, in a way, this was definitely a good way to cater to the players that wanted a Kiesel guitar with standard pole pieces but thought the Lithium bridge pickup was too loud for them.

Kiesel Allan Holdsworth Kiesel Pickups

I don't have a review for them yet because they've unofficially come out but not...shared with the public if that makes sense. A couple of people here got those pickups and I couldn't tell you a description of these things based on what I've seen yet. All I can tell you is that Allan loved these things so much that he's looking to finally swap out his Seymour Duncans for these. If you don't know Holdsworth, he is a mastermind of Jazz and Progressive rock/fusion. The reason why these pickups are finished yet not necessarily released? He did borrow a Vader 8 once...tehehehehe.
Rig goals:
1 A6C
2 AC375 (or AC475; 7-string preferred)
3 Carvin V3412
4 X64
5 Carvin BX1600
6 DC700C (27" scale)
7 Extended scale or Multiscale 6-string Bass
8 AM8/KVM8
9 K6CX/SCB6CX/DC6CX (26.5"/27" scale)
For fun:
10. CT73C
11. V59K/LB75

Pickup Post that may help you!

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:04 am

Dometalican wrote:
For the record, when split from the neck, that's where there's a good sweet vintage spot while splitting the bridge can give you a much warmer single coil tone that sounds REALLY pleasant.

I've stated it elsewhere, but not in this thread so I'd better say it here too.

I now have Lithium humbuckers in my CT4M and my SH445. I now love these guitars more than ever before. What is stated above about how well they split is true. I've never played a humbucker that could sound this good in both humbucking and split coil modes. I know some disagree with me and that's fine, but these are my new favorite Kiesel/Carvin pickups by a long shot.

In the past I'd always have to take at least two guitars to a gig; one for humbuckers and then my Bolt or DC135 for single coil sounds. It amazes me that I now have a couple of guitars with humbuckers that don't make let me down at all when used on songs I used to have to play the Bolt on. The only thing missing is the middle pickup sound (obviously, since there's no middle pickup :lol: ). Now the only reason I have to take two is for backup in case of problems.

If you'd like to hear the sound demo I did with them after installing them in my CT4, here it is:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13140869
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on FaceBook
My YouTube Channel

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:31 am

I don't have a review for them yet because they've unofficially come out but not...shared with the public if that makes sense. A couple of people here got those pickups and I couldn't tell you a description of these things based on what I've seen yet. All I can tell you is that Allan loved these things so much that he's looking to finally swap out his Seymour Duncans for these. If you don't know Holdsworth, he is a mastermind of Jazz and Progressive rock/fusion. The reason why these pickups are finished yet not necessarily released? He did borrow a Vader 8 once...tehehehehe.

FWIW, I have a SD custom wound to Holdsworth specs in my first HH1X. I have the new Kiesel Holdsworth in my second HH1X. Both guitars got new pots and are set up identically. The new Holdsworth pickup is pretty incredible. It is similar to the Seymour Duncan, but seems to be richer and deeper. There is just a bit more of everything. I really like the Duncan, but the Kiesel Holdsworth gets the edge without question. It has incredible low/mids and is harmonically fat. I will be swapping out the Duncan in my other HH with another Kiesel Holdsworth.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:37 am

Dometalican wrote: Jeff said it himself:

"these pickups are made to blend with the guitar."

In other words, the knobs that some players don't use can actually impact the tone of those pickups HEAVILY. That and the amp settings could actually change the voice of these pickups completely. It's not always JUST the pickups. Why do you think DiMarzio and SD make SO MANY pickups? They all have different voicing characteristics (that, and of course signature guitarists got their own pickups) but these Kiesels were made to allow the player to re-adjust their knobs and amp settings to REALLY test out the voicing of these pickups. Am I saying that EVERYONE should find their voicing in these pickups? Of course not but what I'm saying is that these pickups have the rare ability of actually portraying MANY different voices for your guitar. It's like getting an amp: ya gotta play around with it and make sure if you find your favorite tone out of them.

This was basically my thought about the M22 as designed when it went into the vintage DC series back in the late 70's-early 80's. Those guitars were humbuckers, with coil split, and a phase switch. The old 150 was stereo. The pickup combinations and variations from humbucker/humbucker, humbucker/single, single/humbucker, single/single, either one humbucker or split alone, and then the first four combos put out of phase...not mentioning biamped stereo... there were so many voices that these guitars were capable of, and once the design settled into the glorious set necks made by Carvin with magnificent tonewoods, the possibilities were just too variegated to "voice" the pickups with a "sound." I was reading a forum yesterday with a guy who has a vintage DC150 in rock maple that he bought in 80, and he immediately sold his Les Paul Standard and his Strat because he didn't need them at all.

So voicing these pickups would simply limit the broad variety these guitars are capable of, and turn certain specific tones into crap. The description above reminds me of the M22's in their original M22/M22N incarnation. They speak in your guitar's language . . . not in the one single language of some classic model from 1959 and nothing more. Defeats the whole idea of the way the guitar is circuited.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Dometalican
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Dometalican » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:13 am

colossal wrote:

FWIW, I have a SD custom wound to Holdsworth specs in my first HH1X. I have the new Kiesel Holdsworth in my second HH1X. Both guitars got new pots and are set up identically. The new Holdsworth pickup is pretty incredible. It is similar to the Seymour Duncan, but seems to be richer and deeper. There is just a bit more of everything. I really like the Duncan, but the Kiesel Holdsworth gets the edge without question. It has incredible low/mids and is harmonically fat. I will be swapping out the Duncan in my other HH with another Kiesel Holdsworth.

Thanks for that man. That helps a ton!
Rig goals:
1 A6C
2 AC375 (or AC475; 7-string preferred)
3 Carvin V3412
4 X64
5 Carvin BX1600
6 DC700C (27" scale)
7 Extended scale or Multiscale 6-string Bass
8 AM8/KVM8
9 K6CX/SCB6CX/DC6CX (26.5"/27" scale)
For fun:
10. CT73C
11. V59K/LB75

Pickup Post that may help you!

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:59 am

Since so many people seem unfamiliar with the original M22 neck pickup ie M22N (the original M22 all purpose) I was thinking of doing a very simple demo of the pickup by going straight into the board on my 32 track with no amp, no distortion, no compression or effects, no eq--the final outputted lossless wav will be flat and untweaked. This way there will be no amp bias.

I'll just do a simple run with some chords humbuckered, split, and then paired with the M22SD humbucker, split, and then quacked out of phase for both paired configs.

I'll skip the double/single, single/double because then throwing on out of phase will get kooky with the different permutations. Then I could start volume rolloffs, tone rolloffs for woman tones, etc.

If there's interest. If not, I won't. But if it helps someone make up their mind on a neck pickup it'll have been worth it. Not many seem to have this pickup anymore, or at least on here. But it's a real beaut, very rich and full and super versatile.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:09 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Since so many people seem unfamiliar with the original M22 neck pickup ie M22N (the original M22 all purpose) I was thinking of doing a very simple demo of the pickup by going straight into the board on my 32 track with no amp, no distortion, no compression or effects, no eq--the final outputted lossless wav will be flat and untweaked. This way there will be no amp bias.

I'll just do a simple run with some chords humbuckered, split, and then paired with the M22SD humbucker, split, and then quacked out of phase for both paired configs.

I'll skip the double/single, single/double because then throwing on out of phase will get kooky with the different permutations. Then I could start volume rolloffs, tone rolloffs for woman tones, etc.

If there's interest. If not, I won't. But if it helps someone make up their mind on a neck pickup it'll have been worth it. Not many seem to have this pickup anymore, or at least on here. But it's a real beaut, very rich and full and super versatile.

Hey, I'd love to hear a demo of the M22N. I'd also like to hear it with high gain as well. I love the V but have never really heard the N so it would be awesome to hear a full demo of it, clean--->high gain lead riffing :D
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RG5000
RG750VP

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:12 am

Done and done. Okay--I'm visiting my very cool mom tonight, but I should have it up by the weekend for sure. I'll either throw it up on Soundcloud or just create a share for a dropbox WAV upload.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:14 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Done and done. Okay--I'm visiting my very cool mom tonight, but I should have it up by the weekend for sure. I'll either throw it up on Soundcloud or just create a share for a dropbox WAV upload.

Soundcloud please :D
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RG5000
RG750VP

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:23 am

I'm on final mixdown on another song (which has a pounding center section with both N & SD split into single together to get that nice burp, with some crunchy X amp distortion) so I'll be visiting that page soon anyhow.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:48 am

I should have this done in a day or two. This weekend for sure.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:31 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:I should have this done in a day or two. This weekend for sure.

Sweet :D Can't wait :D
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RG5000
RG750VP

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:03 pm

It should help you with your choice for the X220.

BTW down on the thread for Original Member Music I stuck a new link in there for When Worlds Collide,new song which (like I mentioned above) has a middle section that really features the M22N / M22SD combo with the 3 way selector in the middle position and both pickups split, so it gives off that nice croaky burp. WIth the midrange of dense koa it almost sounds like a light envelope filter is in the signal chain. But more than anything I want it to demonstrate that these are far more versatile than just "metal" pickups simply because of the output levels. They sound VERY vintage-y and slick if you want.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

X-Mann
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby X-Mann » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:02 pm

Here's a quick little unacompanied example of the Kiesel Lithium Neck pickup.......

Lithium NECK Pickup Sample

This is off of Neil Zaza's new CD titled "Peach" & this song is called "The Looking Glass".

Just another taste of what this killer pickup can sound like in a CS424 Gold Top guitar! :mrgreen:

Peace! X-Mann \m/

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:29 am

Doctor Turn wrote:It should help you with your choice for the X220.

BTW down on the thread for Original Member Music I stuck a new link in there for When Worlds Collide,new song which (like I mentioned above) has a middle section that really features the M22N / M22SD combo with the 3 way selector in the middle position and both pickups split, so it gives off that nice croaky burp. WIth the midrange of dense koa it almost sounds like a light envelope filter is in the signal chain. But more than anything I want it to demonstrate that these are far more versatile than just "metal" pickups simply because of the output levels. They sound VERY vintage-y and slick if you want.

I'm gonna go with Kiesels for the X220, but I will order an M22N/SD set for one of my ibanezes that I don't sell. Maybe even replace the Dimarzio Evos in my mahogany body RGR580.
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RG5000
RG750VP

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:18 am

AHA! So you got sold on the original M22! That's awesome.

I didn't understand why they would want to remove the gorgeous bottom end and put more hi end on it (a la the V pickup), because to my ears it seems to have precisely the right amount of both... I mean when you truly apprehend strictly what the pickup itself is putting out prior to it hitting an amp or any effects, it's a crisp, sparkling, well rounded tone that's very musical. I love it. I still have the 30 yr old original on my guitar and it's my workhorse pickup.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:21 am

Doctor Turn wrote:AHA! So you got sold on the original M22! That's awesome.

I didn't understand why they would want to remove the gorgeous bottom end and put more hi end on it (a la the V pickup), because to my ears it seems to have precisely the right amount of both... I mean when you truly apprehend strictly what the pickup itself is putting out prior to it hitting an amp or any effects, it's a crisp, sparkling, well rounded tone that's very musical. I love it. I still have the original on my guitar and it's my workhorse pickup.

Yep totally sold on it. I need to get my X220 before I can order the M22N/SD set so that's definitely first, but I will get that set eventually.

I do like the 22V though :)
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RG5000
RG750VP

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:52 am

I often wonder why the Jason Becker JB200C tribute uses an M22V, since that pickup only came into being in 92, long after he began slinging his two famous purple and blue carvins. He undoubtedly used a straight M22 (aka M22N) in the neck position and the M22SD at the bridge.

The M22V was introduced in 1992's catalog as their take on a 1959 PAF style humbucker's tone. See here:

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/92-guitars.html

By that time I believe Jason was in the chair, sadly.

SO unbelievably sad, Becker... I watched the movie last night. Tight throat all the way through. Such a good guy, really sweet kid, with Randy Rhoads type genius on guitar. He's an incredible person. Metal is not my arena, but my god could he play . . .anything.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars