Kiesel equivalent of Music Man Majesty?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

tg1

Kiesel equivalent of Music Man Majesty?

Postby tg1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:07 pm

Just for fun: what would the equivalent of John Petrucci’s signature model be in the Kiesel world? :)
I’m thinking a Crescent of some sort, but what do you guys think? :wink:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Kiesel equivalent of Music Man Majesty?

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:10 pm

Which of the 8 signature models in their current EBMM product line? :lol:

tg1

Postby tg1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:16 pm

spudmunkey wrote:Which of the 8 signature models in their current EBMM product line? :lol:

Any one of the Majesty’s (Majesty, Majesty Artisan or Majesty Monarch) I guess :wink:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:26 pm

I would say K series, with piezo and Hipshot trem.

texastoast
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby texastoast » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:27 am

When I first got my majesty I decided to take off the control cavity cover. I do not think Kiesel guys are talented enough to cram all that wire in such a small space. Ernie must send them to school for that. It was very busy and very sloppy.

The thing is like a Swiss army knife. But like a Swiss army knife, you do not use most of the stuff. Cool to have if you need it.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:35 am

That's a nice guitar, but if it had a tighter arrangement of pole pieces for the pickups - like, say, 11 across instead of only 6, (add one in each gap), then there would be no volume drop during string pulls. And it would sound great in a paired arrangement for a bucker.

Right?
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

Omar.B.

Postby Omar.B. » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:03 am

I love the build quality, fit and finish on EBMM guitars. I put them on the same level amy love for Carvin. Still not as awsome as the greatest guitars ever, a Jackson soloist.

A lot of guitars turn me off though. I need a fully floating Floyd or a stop tail, tune o matic layout. Just a bit of weirdness from growing up playing Jackson Dinkys and my friends Epiphone LP and SG. I would love to get my hands on the Sterlng JP 160, exept for the non angled headstock which is my one quibble with the whole EB line. Bit they are such great guitars.

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:44 am

There wouldn't be a Kiesel equivalent guitar to the Majesty - it's a completely uniquely engineered guitar under the hood. Sure, you could get a 25.5" scale mahogany neck through with a maple top, but that's where it would end. Things you won't get from a Kiesel:

EBMM's JP floating proprietary piezo bridge, which is probably the best non-locking trem on the market
EBMM's proprietary piezo, which runs through one stereo cable rather than having dual outputs
EBMM's Game Changer technology
DiMarzio Illuminator Pickups
The Majesty's control layout
EBMM's superior electronic components (switches, push-push pots)
EBMM's on-board preamp
Wheel-type truss rod adjustment

If you want a Majesty, get a Majesty. You aren't going get an approximation of it from Kiesel, or anywhere else.

Rialas
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Rialas » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:33 am

I had a highly specced jp6, piezzo, etc.
I just didn't bond with it at all, and it's one of the few guitars I've ever sold.

The jp6 trem is quite brilliant though, as are their classic tremolos.

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:59 am

The Majesty totally isn't for me either in terms of the way the neck feels in my hand, but I respect the heck out of it as a piece of forward-thinking guitar engineering.

It's also a little funky looking for a guy who plays mostly R&B, blues, pop, and funk when on a stage. That new sparkle purple limited edition on the other hand is quite tempting.

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:46 am

A Crescent is probably the closest you'd come. They're both a pseudo-neck-through design, neither has the "triangle of doom", you can order a Kiesel with custom controls (so that they fall within the arc of your hand), and you can probably get it with a piezo setup.

Omar.B.

Postby Omar.B. » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:25 am

Rialas wrote:I had a highly specced jp6, piezzo, etc.
I just didn't bond with it at all, and it's one of the few guitars I've ever sold.

Is it bad that I hate non lacoing trems? They just look silly and ancient to me. Maybe its the lac of fine tuners or no lock nut. They just seem puny to me and I have never played one I bonded with.

Floating OFR for life.

Warg Master
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Warg Master » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:22 am

The majesty 6 and other jp6 necks are my go to for 6 string. I'd say a k series for the neck through would be a nice substitution. I got my controls as close to he jp control scheme as I could as I live that layout. For bolt on that aries bevel is very much the feel of the majesty. I hate the locking nut situation. This is why I've loved the jp guitars so much. I found the contour trem and felt it was a nice substitution for the non locking ebmm trem and asked Jeff if he would put one in for me and the rest is history. Those bearings will last a long time over the knife edges...
WooooooD!

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:26 am

I felt the same
Omar.B. wrote:
Rialas wrote:I had a highly specced jp6, piezzo, etc.

Is it bad that I hate non lacoing trems? They just look silly and ancient to me. Maybe its the lac of fine tuners or no lock nut. They just seem puny to me and I have never played one I bonded with.

Floating OFR for life.

I felt that way for a long time and up until recently I would have totally agreed. I still agree for the most part, but once I got a Tremel-no, Nut Sauce, locking tuners, and a Suhr with the Gotoh 510, I found my Floyd Killer. Even at my most trem-happy, I was more of an once-or-twice-a-gig dive bomber and frequent chord wiggler. I used the Floyd as more of a crutch to never have to tune, but with the kind of trem usage I employ, it was overkill. Having the ability to go from full floating, to dive-only, to fixed, to drop D or B is tremendous for me and something I couldn't do with a floating Floyd setup (without having to carve out a D-Tuna a la Nuno).

As a guy that grew up in the 80s on hair metal, moving away from the Floyd to better suit my current playing style was a great move. That said, I wouldn't trade my Floyd guitars for anything - I'm just not sure how many new guitars I'll acquire that have one.

Benz2112

Postby Benz2112 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:18 am

K6, hipshot bridge, piezo, holdsworth headstock, 20" fingerboard radius. The multiple wood laminates in the K series has kind of the same philosophy as the Majesty. You would probably want to send in a set of Petrucci dimarzio pickups, because those have a very particular type of sound to them. Then again if you want a Majesty, you should just get one, a comparable Kiesel will cost just about the same amount of money.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:01 pm

Home depot also sells one

6666570-shovel-Stock-Photo-shovel-cartoon-spade.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Mr Seafoam
Links/Contact:

Postby Mr Seafoam » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:49 pm

Arahobob, I know you were joking... but I seriously want one of these:

http://www.justinjohnsonlive.com/shovel-guitar.html

Especially after hearing Justin play one. Man that guy can play!

:ninja:

Doc_Shred

Postby Doc_Shred » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:46 pm

I would say K series and DC would get you closer. The Crescent looks most similar but because of the carved top, you can't have the Petrucci control layout. I know cos I asked Jeff and he said there's no way you could have the 3 way toggle in that position and the controls in the same arc.

I've owned all the Petrucci models except the Majesty (don't like the shape) but have decided to move away from signature models... I'm too old to be a fanboy now!! My ageing JPs are being replaced with a DC600 with the JP6 layout, piezos and the hipshot trem. From what a few of the guys on the Kiesel facebook group have said (and my experience with my V7) the neck should feel pretty close and have the advantage of neckthrough. I was going to go for Dimarzios but A/Bing the JPs and Ibanez JPM with my V7X, I actually preferred the Lithiums particularly for recording. I also sent in my own 3 way toggle as I found a German company that manufactures a black chrome switch which is more or less the same as the Dimarzio EP1111 from the JPs.

I'm hoping the Kiesel Contour is close to the EBMM trem. The one on my V7X is very good and accurate so I'm pretty hopeful.

Warg Master
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Warg Master » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:54 pm

Doc_Shred wrote:I would say K series and DC would get you closer. The Crescent looks most similar but because of the carved top, you can't have the Petrucci control layout. I know cos I asked Jeff and he said there's no way you could have the 3 way toggle in that position and the controls in the same arc.

I've owned all the Petrucci models except the Majesty (don't like the shape) but have decided to move away from signature models... I'm too old to be a fanboy now!! My ageing JPs are being replaced with a DC600 with the JP6 layout, piezos and the hipshot trem. From what a few of the guys on the Kiesel facebook group have said (and my experience with my V7) the neck should feel pretty close and have the advantage of neckthrough. I was going to go for Dimarzios but A/Bing the JPs and Ibanez JPM with my V7X, I actually preferred the Lithiums particularly for recording. I also sent in my own 3 way toggle as I found a German company that manufactures a black chrome switch which is more or less the same as the Dimarzio EP1111 from the JPs.

I'm hoping the Kiesel Contour is close to the EBMM trem. The one on my V7X is very good and accurate so I'm pretty hopeful.

It is!! This is why I originally wanted the contour. My k7 layout is as close as they can get to the jp control scheme. Unfortunately, the control cavity is not far enough up the body to get the toggle next to the pickups. The control scheme isn't bad at all, I like it.

20171017_165355.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WooooooD!

Doc_Shred

Postby Doc_Shred » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:18 pm

Ah... that's the Hawaii Blue one! I love that guitar mate. I almost went with Hawaii blue as it was between that and Blue Candy. In the end my better half decided it as she prefers the Blue Candy and offered to pay for the paintjob as my birthday present. Who am I to argue!??

This is my control layout that I okayed with Chris. He basically said that as long as it fits within the boundaries of the control cavity, the controls could pretty much go where I want. I just used a reference plain white DC so the control layout would be clear. Hopefully they'll get pretty close.

layout 1a.jpg

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars