What pot value ? Volume and tone for V6 default?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

hopkinwfg
Gold Member
Gold Member

What pot value ? Volume and tone for V6 default?

Postby hopkinwfg » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:38 am

I recieved my V6X a week ago and was very very happy with it... from the build qualityand workmanship ! But just wondering what value on the pots are for volume and tone for Vader 6 by default ?

Cause the tone is very crispy and clear and i guess if i could change the tone or volume pot to 250k to beef up the tone abit... ? Cause in my opinion the clarity and crisps is a good thing but it lacks of warmth and depth... maybe could it be due to the vader nature of voicing being a chambered guitar ?

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: What pot value ? Volume and tone for V6 default?

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:30 am

Stock values are 500k for both volume and tone.

The volume pot is the one that primarily affects the pickup response, mostly by shifting the resonant frequency and peak, though mostly it affects the peak. Lower values change how narrow and tall the peak is by widening and flattening it out, as lower value volume pots place a greater load on the pickup.

Tone pots are a bit simpler in that they always pass some signal through the tone cap to ground. If you want to "warm up" a pickup, roll the tone pot back some, or change to a .047 capacitor instead of .023.

However, you didn't mention which pickup model you have. If it's the Lithiums, they have often been praised for their definition, though disparaged for their more clinical sound. I do not believe chambering has anything to do with a lack of "warmth" or "beef."

I swapped the stock Lithiums in my V6 to the M22V/SD set, as those are less sterile, and have more harmonic content. I tried varuous pot combinations with the Lithiums, and concluded that they are what they are. A higher value volume pot seems to even them out more, and I always plated them with the tone rolled back about halfway.

Given the price for an M22 set (about $100) I suggest them, and then sell off the Lithiums, assuming that's what are in the guitar.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

hopkinwfg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby hopkinwfg » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:54 am

Hi umexplodedcow thanks! Well i gotta say no to lithiums pickups... personally i didnt gel to the lithiums... they sounded thin and clinical thru my VHT pittbull UL... i can hear people who didnt like lithiums commented kiesel to sounding "plastic" and after experiencing changing the lithium bridge to an old seymour duncan MJ wounded JB and it sounded much fuller and fatter ! Now that i now its not kiesel its the lithiums pickup !

And am getting a duncan jazz to replace the lithium neck... but i still feel it still lack of warm and depth... i wonder if getting a 250k tone pot or volume pot would do better :) usually i am full on for both volume and tone

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:56 am

Try rolling the tone control back to where you like the sound, and then reading the resistance on the tone pot. Leave in in the guitar, but bypass it with a resistor going to the tone cap, and you have a static tone control.

250k pots will turn high output humbuckers to mud. With no load (ie: no guitar circuit or cable) a JB supposedly has a 5.5Khz resonant frequency (where it is most efficient/ highest output). With a load, that frequency drops, and tone controls drop it further. Add in the guitar cable and that puts more capacitance in the circuit, lowering resonant frequency even further. Most high output humbuckers will have a real world RF around 3Khz, sometimes called the icepick zone, as our ears are very sensitive to that frequency. This is the scream a JB would normally have.

Once a greater load is placed on the pickup (ie:lower value pots) the RF drops further, and HO humbuckers will go down to around 2k to 2.5k. This is a nasal quality sound. If they drop more, to 1.5k, you have very nasal sounding, cocked wah pickups, and ear fatigue sets in, as this is around the pitch of a baby cry.

Here is a thread from another forum that should help show what I'm speaking of. It also shows why the tone control is very effective. http://www.tdpri.com/threads/tailoring- ... 00.658670/
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars