Nut install on Vader?

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

jptortor
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nut install on Vader?

Postby jptortor » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:49 am

Has anyone had a but installed on a Vader that previously didn't have one? Just wondering if any competent luthier would be able to do this or if it's something that would be mega expensive and labor intensive.

Thanks,

Jason

hopkinwfg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Nut install on Vader?

Postby hopkinwfg » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:17 am

Why dont try contacting Kiesel guitars and if they be willing to undertake this for free?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:00 am

I believe the "for free" period had passed a while back, but i know for a while they were doing it for $50. Not sure if that's the case.

Terry Tibbs
Links/Contact:

Postby Terry Tibbs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:02 pm

I planned on doing it to my older Carvin HH2 that had awful zero fret pinging. I got as far as ordering a blank nut and shaping a tab on the bottom that would have fit into the slot left by the removed zero fret.

But!

The used market for the HH2 is pretty good and I wanted a trem anyway, so I decided to scrap the project and use the funds to order a brand new Kiesel HH2X.

In theory, I have no doubts that it can be done. Removing the fret yourself will be the biggest pain. Followed by getting the nut slotted with enough meat left to have the height adjusted.

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:26 am

It was never free. It cost shipping, both ways if I remember, to get it to Kiesel and back, plus $150 to have a nut installed, replacing the zero fret. The reason for this is that it was never stated to be a recall by Kiesel, and that it was just a "retrofit," for those who didn't like the zero fret; to say nothing of those who had pings/pops and gouges in their ZF.

The saddles were free, because Hipshot was replacing them directly. They sent me a set of 6 after I explained how the wound strings had impressed on the saddles, too.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:17 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:It was never free. It cost shipping, both ways if I remember, to get it to Kiesel and back, plus $150 to have a nut installed, replacing the zero fret. The reason for this is that it was never stated to be a recall by Kiesel, and that it was just a "retrofit," for those who didn't like the zero fret; to say nothing of those who had pings/pops and gouges in their ZF.

Ahh...ok, thinking back I think you're right on the "free" part not being free, but I remember it being $50, and that included the return shipping (plus your cost of shipping it to them)...but that may have included just a finite period of time.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars