Question on the Lefties...

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

bshadel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Question on the Lefties...

Postby bshadel » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:40 pm

Hey everyone,

Are the volume and tone pots reversed...as in counter clock wise would yield max volume/tone or are they the same as a right handed?

Thanks.
Fender Squier Lefty Strat
Kiesel DC727
Kiesel CT624
Carvin B50
Carvin DC127
Carvin CT424
Ibanez JS1200
Fender American Deluxe Strat

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Question on the Lefties...

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:53 pm

No, they're the same as right-handed. I find that kind of silly actually. Also, I find the knobs to not turn as smoothly as they should, so volume swells are difficult.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:46 pm

Huh...i guess I just always assumed "clockwise" would mean "increase", no matter the direction they are facing, since every knob I've ever used on any piece of equipment ever was "turn right to increase".
Last edited by spudmunkey on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bshadel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bshadel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:11 am

I picked up a lefty Fender Squier recently and to my surprise, the pots are reversed. CCW = more volume/tone.
Fender Squier Lefty Strat
Kiesel DC727
Kiesel CT624
Carvin B50
Carvin DC127
Carvin CT424
Ibanez JS1200
Fender American Deluxe Strat

Anthony7

Postby Anthony7 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:57 am

I'm a lefty and I never notice this stuff.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:14 am

bshadel wrote:I picked up a lefty Fender Squier recently and to my surprise, the pots are reversed. CCW = more volume/tone.

My lefty Squire Strat is the same way. To me this is backwards. My Peavey bass and two Carvin basses are the opposite of the Squire: CW = all the way on.

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:22 pm

I have a '96, and it, too, has pots wired as "right handed," ones.

Really, they need reverse log pots, and then to wire them in where counter-clockwise rolls up the volume, and clockwise rolls it down. It's annoying to me, especially since I mostly play right-handed, and am used to rolling downward with my pinky to cut the volume.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:16 pm

UnexplodedCow wrote:I have a '96, and it, too, has pots wired as "right handed," ones.

Really, they need reverse log pots, and then to wire them in where counter-clockwise rolls up the volume, and clockwise rolls it down. It's annoying to me, especially since I mostly play right-handed, and am used to rolling downward with my pinky to cut the volume.

Is that the way right handed ones are? Because that seems backwards to me.

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:36 pm

Bob C wrote:
UnexplodedCow wrote:I have a '96, and it, too, has pots wired as "right handed," ones.

Is that the way right handed ones are? Because that seems backwards to me.

Counter-clockwise (rear of the knob toward the bottom of the guitar) turns the volume down, and clockwise (rear of the knob going up) is how right-handed guitars are set up. It works really well to pull off volume swell effects while plucking the string, particularly on a Strat, or other guitar with a volume knob close to the strings. Yngwie is famous for this sort of effect.

On the lefty, I have to roll down while plucking a string at the same time, which feels very unnatural to me. Wiring it in reverse won't help, as it will make the volume swell strange, since a log pot is being used in reverse, hence the need for reverse log pots.

I also noticed on my '96 that the tuners are geared the same as a right-handed guitar is, so they turn in reverse, as well. Highly annoying sometimes.

Bob C
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bob C » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:42 pm

Unexploded Cow,

It took me a while to figure out what you meant, due to the phrasing in your last post.

Yes, my left handed Carvins operate as you describe. To me, this is an intuitive setup. But I don't do any volume swells and don't play any right handed guitars.

I'm not sure what to say about the tuners. Mine seem natural to me too.

Anthony7

Postby Anthony7 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:38 am

As a lefty, I recommend getting a true bypass volume pedal. That sure makes playing 'Somebody Get Me a Doctor' a breeze. :D

I built a guitar with one pickup, tremolo bar, and no tone/volume controls. Just bored from the pick up cavity to the output jack. It is the most freeing guitar to play. :)

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:05 am

Anthony7 wrote:As a lefty, I recommend getting a true bypass volume pedal. That sure makes playing 'Somebody Get Me a Doctor' a breeze. :D

I built a guitar with one pickup, tremolo bar, and no tone/volume controls. Just bored from the pick up cavity to the output jack. It is the most freeing guitar to play. :)

I use an Artec active pedal, and have had to drive long cables. True-bypass will not help in that situation. Long cables pack on the capacitance, and affect the guitar's sound. I couldn't tell a difference in sound with the Artec in place.

Anthony7

Postby Anthony7 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:52 am

They certainly do. Bill Lawrence used to make low capacitance guitar cables; maybe he still does.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:56 am

spudmunkey wrote:Huh...i guess I just always assumed "clockwise" would mean "increase", no matter the direction they are facing, since every knob I've ever used on any piece of equipment ever was "turn right to increase".

If one wishes to reverse their operation, it's a pretty simple solder job.
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on FaceBook
My YouTube Channel

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:00 am

Anthony7 wrote:They certainly do. Bill Lawrence used to make low capacitance guitar cables; maybe he still does.

I believe he still does, though George L cables are pretty low cap. Planet Waves American Stage are decently low, and then you can buy bulk Belden cable (I forget the series), and solder on some ends. The problem is when the guitar is driving ~60 feet of cable; 20 from the guitar to pedals, then through pedals (assuming true bypass), and 20-30 to the amp. It totally loads down the pickups with capacitance, and (to me) the sound suffers.

I built a unity buffer into a belt pack at one point, and that negated much of it, though it does not play nice with fuzz face style pedals, which is normal due to that pedal's input impedance.

How does this related to the thread? It affects all guitars (both left and right handed). Wow.

UnexplodedCow
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:01 am

ElfDude wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:Huh...i guess I just always assumed "clockwise" would mean "increase", no matter the direction they are facing, since every knob I've ever used on any piece of equipment ever was "turn right to increase".

Except with the pots Carvin/Kiesel uses are audio taper. You'll wind up with a reverse audio tape if wiring it inversely, and that is a weird experience on guitar. If linear it would be fine.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:56 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:
ElfDude wrote:

Except with the pots Carvin/Kiesel uses are audio taper. You'll wind up with a reverse audio tape if wiring it inversely, and that is a weird experience on guitar. If linear it would be fine.

Oh yeah!

Thanks for the reminder!
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100

Midlife Crisis on FaceBook

My YouTube Channel

jclaudio

Postby jclaudio » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:22 pm

When I received my first lefty A7 that was one of the first things I noticed but got used to it quickly. I'm just glad that I found a company that builds left handed guitars!

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:31 pm

Anthony7 wrote:I'm a lefty and I never notice this stuff.

Yup, same here. I just turn the knob until I get the desired volume/tone level. It doesn't really bother me if the knob turns in one direction or another.
Carvin guitars: DC127, DC150, AC375, Bolt-T, H2.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars