Black Hardware

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

KrisHough

Black Hardware

Postby KrisHough » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:32 am

Does anyone know what the finish on black hardware is? (Black Nickel, Dyed Chrome or is there Black Chrome?)
How durable is the black finish? I have seen posts that say there is no such thing as black chrome. I have seen it called black nickle and dyed chrome.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Black Hardware

Postby spudmunkey » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:09 am

It's not like some company's smoke black chrome. It is opaque black, but very high gloss (except for the wilkinson trem asks the old Sperzel locking tuners).

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:25 am

My Kahler bridge is (the replacement to the original black 2300 that I put in last year) called "Black Krome," and I have no idea what that means.

Can't say, I had two opposing situations on my original eighties black bridge and hardware.. but what I will say is unlike the fine tuners on my original Kahler bridge, the black hardware Carvin branded (Gotoh) tuning keys on my old Carvin have never given any hint of fading to reveal another color underneath. Ther fine tuners on my old bridge faded away to reveal the brass underneath... (You can see the same effect on that video about Jason's two original DC 200's, where Albert disassembles the exact same black hardware Kahler bridges to give everything a good cleaning and overhaul, and the fine tuners show the brass underneath from years of use and sweat and finger acids wearing it away). But the tuning keys are still fully black. My guess one is impregnated chrome, and the other, older bridge was coated brass.

I'm thinking the new edition is likely closer to the black Carvin branded tuners.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

dbone
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dbone » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:36 am

The black finish has lasted quite well on my hardware.
Silver is tough as well.
Many many years ago 1996 purchase and the guitar has heavily used for five years straight I had “some” issues with gold wearing off on knobs etc. I still like Gold and wouldn’t flinch from putting on a build. I dont know if the hardware/process for gold has been changed since then obviously the sperzels are gone.
dbones Lefties
DC150 M22T/M22V
DC150 M22SD/M22N
DC400A, K12B/K12N
Bolt ,C22T/AP11/AP11
AE185 C22T/C22N
AE185-12 H22T/H22N/Piezo
DC800 A80B/A80N
DC600 M22SD/M22V
AC375, CL450, AC275K
CT7M KL14B/KL14N
SB5000 J99A pups

KrisHough

Postby KrisHough » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:38 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I will keep researching it and post if I find anything else relevant.

The black hardware looks more like hardened powder coating and its not on the saddles on this bridge where the strings would probably wear it off over time,( in the slots and then get worse from there).

https://www.kieselguitars.com/products/FT7B

Just found this info.

http://classiccomponents.com/services/black-chrome

The CCP black chrome finish has several advantages:

It does not require a clear coat so the finished product will not discolor or scratch like other inferior black nickel or black chrome finishes.
CCP black chrome has the capability of covering hard to reach areas and deep parts that are normally difficult or impossible to chrome plate.
Parts that are currently finished in bright or show chrome plated and are in good condition can be partially stripped and black chrome plated without the need to purchase new parts.

wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:02 am

Yep, my next light saber is gonna be in black chrome. :P :mrgreen:
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:19 am

My three Carvins with black hardware were all purchased used. When two of them arrived they had rust all over the F bridges (though the Sperzel tuners were fine). I took the bridges apart, rubbed them down with WD40, and they've looked and performed good ever since.
But yeah, I guess if you live in a humid place rust can be a thing with black hardware.
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on FaceBook
My YouTube Channel

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars