Letchford VS Vader

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

gibvel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Letchford VS Vader

Postby gibvel » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:24 pm

Okay, I've been specing out a Vader and Letchford with mostly the same specs. 6, multi-scale.

Other than the aesthetic finish difference that the bevels allow me to do on the vader they both seem pretty comparable.

The Letchford has some switching options but I've outfitted the Vader with different options and actually have more switching options than the Letchford.

I like the standard chambering of the Letchford and like the "More traditional" body shape. But I also like the body shape of the vader and I know you can get it chambered but it costs more.

I guess I'd basically like opinions from guys who've had/played both and their impressions comparing how they play/feel/sound (Photos comparing size would be nice if you've got them). If the chambering VS no chambering makes a difference etc. I've heard all the talk about the Lithiums so I'd prefer not to hear any opinions of them other than comparing the sound difference in the 2 guitars.

Thanks
Mark

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Letchford VS Vader

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:20 am

gibvel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gibvel » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:46 am

Spud!!! You are absolutely awesome. :applause: What do you use to do that?

Thanks. I it appears the Letchford is quite a bit larger, length wise!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:56 am

Glad it proved helpful! I made it in Photoshop shortly after the Letchford was released.

gibvel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby gibvel » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:32 am

Cool!

Now I just need someone, who's played both or has both, to chime in!

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:03 am

gibvel wrote:Spud!!! You are absolutely awesome. :applause:

Yes. Yes he is.
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on FaceBook
My YouTube Channel

Rocky

Postby Rocky » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:04 am

This is a great topic. Nice photo comparison of the 2 different guitar bodies. I don't have a Letchford.

I do have a Vader VM8 and my brother has a Vader V8. The Vader is easily the most comfortable guitar to play I own. It's light, well balanced, the contours are well thought out. My Les Paul feels like a tank in comparison and it is a small guitar.

My VM8 is chambered and my brothers V8 is not chambered. I can't really tell that it makes that much difference. They sound a little different, but that could be attributed to the different woods.

I don't have any issues with the Lithium pickups as many do on the forum. They are brighter than my LP but not near as bright as my 2001 Bolt guitar. Coil splitting works great on the Vader and the control layout works well for me.

Looking at the Letchford, it appears that the access to the tuners is not quite as good as the Vader. The Letchford body looks a little more traditional, but you are sort of casting tradition to the wind if you are buying a headless.

I am actually considering buying another headless. It is a lot guitar packed in a small comfortable to play package. They are almost like carrying a violin when traveling.

I hope someone responds who owns a Letchford. They look like a nice headless option.

maxpower
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby maxpower » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:45 am

I have a CL7 but have never played a Vader. I would love to have a Vader but most likely an SH will be my next guitar.

In fact, the SH was going to be my next guitar until the CL came out.

If you have a preference on neck style (set neck vs neck through) then the choice is easy :-)

Only my CL is chambered and unless you are looking for weight savings or want to play it in your living room unplugged, I would not let chambered vs not chambered weigh too much on your decision. Pick one and move forward.

If this is your first Kiesel and you have no neck preference, go whichever looks better to you and don't look back. There is a very very good chance that you will really like your guitar.

Good luck and post back when you decided
CT4M, DC127, Bolt (kit), CL7

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars