Turning DC700 headed into headless

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

X1Glider

Turning DC700 headed into headless

Postby X1Glider » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:37 pm

Has anyone here had the crazy idea of cutting up a perfectly good Carvin guitar to create something new? I know it'll never be a Carvin again and will never be a Kiesel in the future. But I just don't care for this particular guitar in it's current build.

Well... I have a DC700 with a licensed Floyd and A70 pickiups I'm considering turning into a headless guitar. It's a pretty basic, working man's guitar that I'm not afraid to get banged up in public. TBH, I'm absolutely sick and tired of PITA floating tremolos and I really don't care one bit for the active pickups. The rest of the guitar is great like my other Carvins. Rather than sell the guitar at a loss, as there's so many for sale out there, I was considering doing something Vaderesque, maybe add some more ergonomic touches along the way including reprofiling the neck but definitely getting back to a fixed bridge and a better choice of pickups.

I'm not sure if it's as simple as I think it is. Going to Hipshot and getting the bridge and headpiece, then mounting the bridge flat where it should go and then routing a spot for the head piece. Then sawing up the body how I want it to look. I figure, the bones are great, why not use it as a base for something special?

Anyone do this or am I just nuts?

kdawg
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Turning DC700 headed into headless

Postby kdawg » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:39 pm

You, my friend, have bigger dreams and evidently a much bigger skill-set than I do. I wish you luck!

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:59 pm

Or just block the trem and drop in some different pickups?

X1Glider

Postby X1Glider » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:30 pm

Trem is already blocked. Still, it's a low grade trem and sucks the tone out of the guitar. You can hear the springs resonate in the spring cavity. I'm up for filling in those routed cavities. As for the pickups, they're EMG style so the routs aren't right for any other pickup I'd replace it with. So, I'd be doing some body work anyway. Also, no totally happy with the neck profile.

X1Glider

Postby X1Glider » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:49 pm

kdawg wrote:You, my friend, have bigger dreams and evidently a much bigger skill-set than I do. I wish you luck!

Never said I had the skill set. Just not in love with the DC700 I've had the past 5 years. I can probably do all the bonding of new wood in the trem cavities just fine and all the shaping. I'm thinking of a strandbergish shape, so I'd have to add wood to the control cavity and reshape it. But I'd like to add some Aries style bevels too. Carvin already did all the hard work for me with the neck thru construction. And the quality is a whole lot better than Standberg could ever hope to have, so I wouldn't ever buy one anyway. They're really poorly made...hardware too.

My biggest hurdle would be putting a nut where the trem locking nut currently is and mounting that headpiece appropriately. Unless I can get Kiesel to see me their head piece. But I may not be able to shape the end of the neck properly for it since it wasn't designed for it in the first place.

Would be cool if there was a Vader DIY kit like the bolt. One where the body sides are uncut so we could do our own thing.

ilyti
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ilyti » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:19 pm

X1Glider wrote:[

Would be cool if there was a Vader DIY kit like the bolt. One where the body sides are uncut so we could do our own thing.

That would be a dream come true for me.

I like the insanity of your idea, and would love to see it succeed, but I think you're further ahead just selling the dc (even at a loss) and buying a Vader. You're looking at $400 for the bridge/headpiece alone (direct from Hipshot), plus pickups and labour (time is money right?). Lets say you can sell the dc700 for $1000. Then there's the aforementioned $400, plus let's say $100 for pickups (conservative, I know) which you could put towards the new build. $1500 can get you a mighty snazzy Vader my friend!

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars