Kiesel Solo Contest 2019

USA Custom Shop Acoustic and Electric Guitars

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Carvinisti

Re: Kiesel Solo Contest 2019

Postby Carvinisti » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:19 am

Koshchei wrote:No more contest entries for me though. I felt dirty after entering the last one.

I totally get this, I felt it too. I justified the entry with the notion that it's good practise to come up with licks to a backing track. :D . Anyway here's my solo, at least I managed to squeeze in a little feel from time to time:
https://youtu.be/NGzkwA3EAsY
Last edited by Carvinisti on Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:32 am

Hey that was great! Better than mine, which I haven't even posted yet. :(
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2020 Vader 7X (Used to have an Aries 7H with Piezo but regretfully sold it)

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:54 am

Carvinisti wrote:
Koshchei wrote:No more contest entries for me though. I felt dirty after entering the last one.

I totally get this, I felt it too. I justified the entry with the notion that it's good practise to come up with licks to a backing track. :D . Anyway here's my solo, at least I managed to squeeze in a little feel from time to time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZBLNnGv5nA

That was fantastic! :applause:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:15 am

I actually posted mine 30 minutes ago but for some reason the upload threw the audio out of sync from the video and it looks like I am not really playing it. I already saw people calling eachother out for "miming" and I don't want to open the door to that lol.

Edit: Fixed it. Here it is if you're interested: https://youtu.be/tb4r1PCZhz8
Last edited by Jack'O'Licious on Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kiesel's:
2017 DCM8, 2020 Vader 7X (Used to have an Aries 7H with Piezo but regretfully sold it)

Other's:
Cheap Peavey Strat (1st axe ever), Ernie Ball JP13, 2018 Dingwall NG-3 5 string, 2017 Warwick RB Corvette 6 string

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:35 am

Anyone else have an entry? I'd love to see/hear what the forum regulars have in mind to play with this track.
Kiesel's:

Other's:

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:55 am

duuuuuuude that solo is nuts!

I'm considering doing one but every time I sit down to play I end up working on a song for my EP so we'll see what happens.

Carvinisti

Postby Carvinisti » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:46 am

Jack'O'Licious wrote:I actually posted mine 30 minutes ago but for some reason the upload threw the audio out of sync from the video and it looks like I am not really playing it. I already saw people calling eachother out for "miming" and I don't want to open the door to that lol.

That was really cool! I've never seen those two handed slides before :applause:

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:24 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:duuuuuuude that solo is nuts!

I'm considering doing one but every time I sit down to play I end up working on a song for my EP so we'll see what happens.

Haha, thanks. My vibrato game is weak. Just something I never really worked on and have only really been trying to do some lead guitar in the past couple years. I was always a downtuned chugging machine. I also have bad tendencies to do weird things with my pinkies lol.

Carvinisti wrote:
Jack'O'Licious wrote:I actually posted mine 30 minutes ago but for some reason the upload threw the audio out of sync from the video and it looks like I am not really playing it. I already saw people calling eachother out for "miming" and I don't want to open the door to that lol.

That was really cool! I've never seen those two handed slides before :applause:

Dimebag Darrell in Pantera's "Walk" solo, only he did it on one string. Just took it a little further.
Kiesel's:

Other's:

HarlowTheFish
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby HarlowTheFish » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:33 pm

Jack'O'Licious wrote:Haha, thanks. My vibrato game is weak. Just something I never really worked on and have only really been trying to do some lead guitar in the past couple years. I was always a downtuned chugging machine. I also have bad tendencies to do weird things with my pinkies lol.

If you wanna work on vibrato, try Steve Vai's circular vibrato technique - instead of just going up and down along the fret, roll your finger forward and back. Rolling doesn't do much for pitch because of the frets vs. on something like a fretless or classical strings, but the motion feels a lot more controlled and intentional and definitely sounds like it.
I also did weird stuff with my pinky but then I got into hybrid picking and now I can do weird stuff - but with purpose! Also lets you do more stuff across strings with less wrist motion for accents on higher strings or split chords.

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:57 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Jack'O'Licious wrote:Haha, thanks. My vibrato game is weak. Just something I never really worked on and have only really been trying to do some lead guitar in the past couple years. I was always a downtuned chugging machine. I also have bad tendencies to do weird things with my pinkies lol.

If you wanna work on vibrato, try Steve Vai's circular vibrato technique - instead of just going up and down along the fret, roll your finger forward and back. Rolling doesn't do much for pitch because of the frets vs. on something like a fretless or classical strings, but the motion feels a lot more controlled and intentional and definitely sounds like it.
I also did weird stuff with my pinky but then I got into hybrid picking and now I can do weird stuff - but with purpose! Also lets you do more stuff across strings with less wrist motion for accents on higher strings or split chords.

I love the hybrid picking, especially on Tosin's level but its just a hard skill to get good at (for me anyway) even though I played a lot of bass lol.

Ill have to check out that vibrato technique.
Kiesel's:

Other's:

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:40 pm

Finally got it done. I fell and sprained the wrist, so it, and the elbow, have been stiff and painful. Ugh.

Anyway, here's a link to the video. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pha7_y1Gooc
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:43 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:Finally got it done. I fell and sprained the wrist, so it, and the elbow, have been stiff and painful. Ugh.

Great stuff!
:applause:
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, Bolt T, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:42 am

I thought the ending was the best part :D

Jack'O'Licious
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby Jack'O'Licious » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:01 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:Finally got it done. I fell and sprained the wrist, so it, and the elbow, have been stiff and painful. Ugh.

Sweet flamingo axe!
Kiesel's:

Other's:

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:37 pm

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:39 pm

Anyone here make the cut?

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:50 pm

Not that I know. One guy has 90% of the votes from other players, and a couple people in the group were unhappy, posted some flagrant stuff, then left. While each choice is subjective, there seems to be a common theme among the entries, in terms of note choice and technique. Music choice is extremely subjective, so the result is unsurprising in that regard. It was fun, and good wrist exercise, to cook something up, so I have no regrets. It would've been nice to build a guitar, as I'd planned to give it to a friend in need had I won. I have enough guitars.

Quivering Wrist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Quivering Wrist » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:58 am

There is a lot of great playing but they can't seem to help all ending it the same way on that same note that just stops and rings out with slight vibrato. Players are having problems ending these pieces.

They use a lot of the same exact scales as well. Are there no other scales available? lol

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:20 am

The track itself ends on a fading, sustained chord, so it would seem that ending a solo in a like manner is sensible. Vibrato is a stylistic choice, and partly a learned choice at that, depending on any lessons or listening preferences. Some of the entries ended with more scales even after the backing track had faded out, which sounds disconnected, as though the player wasn't playing with the track itself, but over it, and became lost in their own shredding.

Most people ended on G or D. I personally went for a bit more tension, ending on a B, giving a semi wide, slow vibrato and short amount of sustain to prevent going beyond the track's ending, as I'd had it on loop for practicing while recording the run. I did zero post processing, EQing, or anything. It was an as-is method, where the audio and video were stitched together and synchronized. Simple stuff. Didn't win me any awards, but I still had fun.

Quivering Wrist, did you make an entry?

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:06 am

Quivering Wrist wrote:There is a lot of great playing but they can't seem to help all ending it the same way on that same note that just stops and rings out with slight vibrato.

Which is exactly what I would have done! :lol:

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars