Show us your upgraded flame maple top?

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

hopkinwfg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Show us your upgraded flame maple top?

Postby hopkinwfg » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:04 am

Any out there who be willing to share pictures of their upgraded flame maple top?

JCG
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Show us your upgraded flame maple top?

Postby JCG » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:27 am

Here are my 5A Flamed Maple tops:

DSCN1611 (2).JPG
DSCN1596 (3).JPG
DSCN1352.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SH575
DC135, HF2, ST300
4 SCB6, 2 DC600, Bolt +, TL60
K.E. DC600, CT324, 2 SCB6, 2 Bolt +, CT624, 2 A6, DC600
KM8, 3 A6, AM6, Bolt +, DCM6, JB200SC, TL60
2 SCB6, 2 A6, AM6, 3 KV6, DCM6, TL60
Gear: viewtopic.php?t=45375&start=114

hopkinwfg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby hopkinwfg » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:31 pm

These are cool looking... but in my opinion its still not as rad as for the top up upgrade... was thinking if its a 5A flame or a master grade flame?

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:39 pm

Lol. :wall:
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

dannyahansen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dannyahansen » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:37 pm

hopkinwfg wrote:These are cool looking... but in my opinion its still not as rad as for the top up upgrade... was thinking if its a 5A flame or a master grade flame?

Best comments ever.

dannyahansen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dannyahansen » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:37 pm

JCG wrote:Here are my 5A Flamed Maple tops:

Sorry but your 5A flame tops are not good enough.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Well, that's why there's 6A, 7A, Master Grade, and "K-Top", each more expensive than the last. :lol:

hopkinwfg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby hopkinwfg » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:36 am

Will we expect a master grade flame maple to be some what like this ?
cf24d65e.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:10 pm

How is that different from anything JCG showed you?
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:51 pm

One could argue that it might be a lower grade, because the flame stripes appear to be wider. :think:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:46 pm

My first thought.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

hopkinwfg
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby hopkinwfg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:40 am

Maybe its just me.. i like the natural look of the flame maple of these type as one could see its so uniform and the flames are so "packed together"... maybe the few pictures which posted earlier on which are trans burst and coloured maybe in my opinion it just didnt compliment these flames top beautifully..

I have a picture which posted by jeff himself holding on to a super quilted top on aqua blue finish... as the color and contrast just strike out nicely... beautiful piece this is... !
19894825_1934684770148149_3918561119560655708_n.jpg

Treadplatedual
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Treadplatedual » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:29 am

I'm reasonably sure if you ask for master grade, you can specify what you want it to look like. All those 5A tops JCG posted are higher grade than the natural colored piece you posted, since they are much more uniform and tightly packed.

That's not to say that lower grade tops don't look great - I personally prefer a little bit wider striping. If you're going for a specific look, call in and ask for it, they want you happy so they will in all likelihood give you a top you'll love.
2015 CS6M - C22s - SOLD to make room for an SH6 - Piezo/S22s
2016 CT624M - Lithiums
2017 A6H - Lithiums

Pod HD500x
Boss Katana (For the funzies)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:24 am

That quilt is definitely at least 5A, because K-series come standard with a grade higher than the "normal" builds with flamed and quilted maple and figured koa. Can't say what it is, but it's at least 5A.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Just shows that it takes all types to make a world go round. Even on Les Paul types I don't like flame to go much beyond 3A. I think it distracts from the graceful lines that make up the shape of the guitar. If you look at all of the classic bursts very few of them go much beyond a 3A. Occassionally you'll get something like a "Believer Burst" or the Dutch burst which push out past a three. To me flame is the equivalent of cheese on top of a pizza--for me, a true NYC slice should have cheese JUST in proportion to the amount of sauce and crust. Of course when I was a kid I ordered slices with extra cheese and wanted it as gooey as possible.

Of course--having said that, the builds that JCG are put together in such a way that they're hugely striking. Also it depends on the kind of guitar that the figure sits on top of, the sort of burst, etc.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby gumbynotpokey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:02 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Just shows that it takes all types to make a world go round. Even on Les Paul types I don't like flame to go much beyond 3A. I think it distracts from the graceful lines that make up the shape of the guitar. If you look at all of the classic bursts very few of them go much beyond a 3A. Occassionally you'll get something like a "Believer Burst" or the Dutch burst which push out past a three. To me flame is the equivalent of cheese on top of a pizza--for me, a true NYC slice should have cheese JUST in proportion to the amount of sauce and crust. Of course when I was a kid I ordered slices with extra cheese and wanted it as gooey as possible.

Of course--having said that, the builds that JCG are put together in such a way that they're hugely striking. Also it depends on the kind of guitar that the figure sits on top of, the sort of burst, etc.

The tightness of the flame-grain has a definite impact on tone. I call it "tone grain".
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

dannyahansen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby dannyahansen » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:44 pm

I think what is considered master grade is not necessarily how tight or loose the grain is but how intense and visible the grain is. Also consistency is a big factor. If the flame is super intense and it is over the entire top then I would consider that master grade regardless of whether the flame was tight or lose.

I happen to be a big fan of "Ribbon Flame" which is the loser, wider, flame.

Carry on.

Fun thread.

Omsong
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Omsong » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:05 pm

A "wood" novice like myself is certainly not qualified to judge the grain quality. But, there must be some industry standards that are used to categorize wood. Correct? Does anyone know the rating criteria?

Undoubtedly, the rating and pricing of a wood top is determined in part by the rarity of a particular kind and type of grain and the price paid to procure the slab (and how many tops can be cut from it). However, it appears to me (aka. live Jeff's top selection videos) that the grade and corresponding price of a top is very subjective. I.e., the guy who owns the slab, based upon his/her experience and amount of $ they have invested, determines the grade and, therefore, the price they expect to get for it.
Last edited by Omsong on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glennfin
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby glennfin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:14 am

If you want to specify a "look" or have them match a photo or even close to a previous build you ordered, you have to pay. I just found this out on my current HF2S order. Any match or request for a similar look will be an upcharge.

Treadplatedual wrote:I'm reasonably sure if you ask for master grade, you can specify what you want it to look like. All those 5A tops JCG posted are higher grade than the natural colored piece you posted, since they are much more uniform and tightly packed.

That's not to say that lower grade tops don't look great - I personally prefer a little bit wider striping. If you're going for a specific look, call in and ask for it, they want you happy so they will in all likelihood give you a top you'll love.
Carvin HH1X
Mesa Express 5:25+ head with Full stack of mini rectifier cabs..

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:37 pm

Omsong wrote:A "wood" novice like myself is certainly not qualified to judge the grain quality. But, there must be some industry standards that are used to categorize wood. Correct? Does anyone know the rating criteria?

No, not really, actually. There's no governing body that sets standards that suppliers and resellers would comply with, with standards for grades like gemstones or anything. Manufacturers can call their grades any grade they want, but risk critisism when being compared to another manufacturer's "AAA". Heck, manufacturers can call them whatever they want, even making up terms like "10-Top" and "Master Grade".

Now, there absolutely is standards for "regular" lumber which has a National Hardwood Lumber Association methodology for defining lumber grades, but it does not cover figured woods.

Here's a quick summary of NHLA and figured woods:
http://ufei.calpoly.edu/urbanwood/grades.lasso
All the rules go out the window when picking figured hardwood. The market for figured or decorative woods has expanded in recent years as larger retail yards have added to their inventories and smaller, or specialty yards have emerged. The biggest problem with buying figured hardwoods is the lack of uniform grading rules. There are no NHLA grading rules for figured woods.

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery