Live Stream Updates

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

amispy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Live Stream Updates

Postby amispy » Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 am

dejabluguitar wrote:limited pickguard option coming to Delos. black pearl, mint, and some kind of other white.

I find it funny that Jeff is acting like the black pearl is so unique. I remember Carvin offering this on Bolts before.
07_contour-large.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AE185, 2 x A6H, AB5, Bolt, Cobalt 750T, DC200T, 2 x DC7X, D6H, 2 x D6X, JB200C, JH6, LB75, PB5, V220M, KV6X, 2 x V59K

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Sat May 18, 2019 10:03 am

It's been gone for quite a few years. And even then, the ones in the last years of its life looked much more like what you find when you search for "silver pearloid", which i didn't like AT ALL. The ones linked in that catalog page are from the era of black pearloid that I like. :)

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:39 pm

Updates on roasted bodies:

All roasted bodies for bolt-on are 1 piece bodies.

Roasted bodies are actually available for neck-through. Despite Jeff initially saying he wasn't doing roasting for neck-through stuff.

I'm not sure if they will yet roast a neck for a neck-through. But, I would like to think so. Considering they are doing bodies, now.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:12 pm

Someone on the Facebook group said that Jeff said no neck through because those necks are to long to fit in this size of oven… but I have not come across that video.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:28 am

spudmunkey wrote:Someone on the Facebook group said that Jeff said no neck through because those necks are to long to fit in this size of oven… but I have not come across that video.

I haven't seen that. Also, I have seen the new kiln for roasting and it looks plenty large.

Initially, he said he didn't want to roast neck-through, because he thought gluing the body to the neck was adding moisture back, when they had just gone through the trouble to remove it.

Didn't really make sense to me. But I've also learned to not always lean too heavily on specifics from Jeff.

At this point, I don't really see why they wouldn't roast a neck through neck and a body for it.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:17 pm

Free mahogany body upgrades this week, only through Friday, and only by calling. If "the guys" don't know what you're talking about, have them reference minute 13 of today's video. :lol:

When asked about covered single coil pickups:
"No, but I'd like to have a P90 style pickup in the next two years...but that's a project for Dad."

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:30 pm

We're only a few days from price increases. Does anyone have a clue what they may encompass?
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:19 pm

Nope. In today's video, jeff said something along the lines of, "There's still a couple of days before I need to decide if there's going to be a price increase. I'm going to be reviewing the numbers one more time" or something along those lines.

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:43 am

1 piece maple necks are now Quarter-Sawn.

"Birdseye Maple necks will continue to be flat-sawn, as this is the only method of cutting the wood that allows the birdseye to be visible."

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:44 am

Toptube wrote:1 piece maple necks are now Quarter-Sawn.

"Birdseye Maple necks will continue to be flat-sawn, as this is the only method of cutting the wood that allows the birdseye to be visible."

Another awesome improvement. I live in the desert and it took a year for my maple neck HF2 to stabilize. A local luthier told me that Cali built guitars (of all breeds) are typically more unstable than Mex. built ones here because of the low humidity plus heat.

If the Builder is accurate (updated), there are only a few minor option price increases, but I would expect the quater sawn necks to push up the base prices.

Kiesel
Past tense

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:14 am

In the announcement email, they said that for a short time, this is like a "free" upgrade...until the price changes go into effect.

Then, it's kinda similar to how previous price changes came with "free" upgrades (Luminlay dots one year, stainless frets another), but this time it's just something that would only benefit the base model specs...their lowest price builds. Everyone else who changes their neck wood pays the higher price anyway, but doesn't get an "upgrade" like that. Interesting. :think:

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:33 pm

In my opinion, 1 piece necks sound better. And now with carbon rods, quarter sewn, and roasting: there's little reason to get a multi-piece neck, aside from cosmetics. And I DOOOOO really like to see a multi-piece neck on a neck-through.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:15 pm

Toptube wrote:In my opinion, 1 piece necks sound better. And now with carbon rods, quarter sewn, and roasting: there's little reason to get a multi-piece neck, aside from cosmetics. And I DOOOOO really like to see a multi-piece neck on a neck-through.

Agreed, other than cosmetics, a single piece neck should be sufficient. Heck, hundreds of thousands (or more) of guitars with one piece necks are built a year. If this was a fundamental design and build flaw, everybody would have switched to multi piece necks (on all but the cheapest instruments) decades ago.

This is what perplexed me. I have a 5 piece neck, and in spite of that and the carbon fiber rods, my Fatboy neck/setup still needed weekly readjustment for the first year. Back on the East Coast, I had four previous Carvins (two Fatboys, A Bolt+ and a CT6M, plus several Fenders) that never needed a setup tweak. I had a MIM Tele out here (in SW AZ) who's neck was rock stable. (One thing I did not have the skill or experience to evaluate was whether or not there was any movement in the neck joint. But I doubt it because there are no micro cracks in the gloss finish. And the neck relief definitely was changing along with the action above the 12th fret. Anyway it has thankfully settled down so that it now only ever needs a seasonal tweek.)

Kiesel
Past tense

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:53 am

Omsong wrote:
Toptube wrote:In my opinion, 1 piece necks sound better. And now with carbon rods, quarter sewn, and roasting: there's little reason to get a multi-piece neck, aside from cosmetics. And I DOOOOO really like to see a multi-piece neck on a neck-through.

Agreed, other than cosmetics, a single piece neck should be sufficient. Heck, hundreds of thousands (or more) of guitars with one piece necks are built a year. If this was a fundamental design and build flaw, everybody would have switched to multi piece necks (on all but the cheapest instruments) decades ago.

This is what perplexed me. I have a 5 piece neck, and in spite of that and the carbon fiber rods, my Fatboy neck/setup still needed weekly readjustment for the first year. Back on the East Coast, I had four previous Carvins (two Fatboys, A Bolt+ and a CT6M, plus several Fenders) that never needed a setup tweak. I had a MIM Tele out here (in SW AZ) who's neck was rock stable. (One thing I did not have the skill or experience to evaluate was whether or not there was any movement in the neck joint. But I doubt it because there are no micro cracks in the gloss finish. And the neck relief definitely was changing along with the action above the 12th fret. Anyway it has thankfully settled down so that it now only ever needs a seasonal tweek.)

Yes my Icon took about 2 years to settle. It didn't move in large degrees. But, it would move a little bit, frequently.

My Fender Jaguar bass moves large degrees, from morning to night, on hot days. Best sounding bass ever, though...

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:42 am

Guess the moral is that not all wood is created equal! Even when manufacturing is held to tight specs., every neck can have a unique "personality". It always surprises me how two "identical" guitars (of the same make and model) can frequently feel very different when played.

Kiesel
Past tense

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:05 pm

The 4th of July promo deals our announced

The 4th of July is upcoming, and Kiesel Guitars has some fireworks of our own over here, with some great deals for this Independence Day holiday. Check this out:

- FREE Chambered Body Option on all applicable Custom Shop guitars and basses (top wood required, $150 value)

- FREE roasted plain maple neck ($100 value)

- FREE red or blue inlay material ($20 value)

- FREE California burst when Antique Ash Treatment is ordered (must call to order; $50 value)

In addition, remember you can now get our new quarter-sawn maple neck as a FREE standard upgrade for a limited time only!

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:15 pm

New pickups are coming, designed by Mark, with help from Albert, Flock and Brandon Ewing. Jeff, "I've stayed completely out of these". They are single coils that they were working on before...

...Electric City is shutting down due to health reasons. Kiesel took over the design/manufacturing of the Johnny Highland pickups. Which now also means that you can get them on other models. Individual magnetic pole pieces (something Kiesel hasn't done before, at lease not for decades).

Theos: $1599 starting price for the "real" base price, but $100 off if you go with a solid painted top and with the body painted like the top, instead of the otherwise-standard RNC.

Price increase is still coming....won't confirm when or amount, but are coming.

FG2 that Frank Gambale has been playing in a couple of videos may be a limited run/limited time Delos in that exact spec. That yellow, that pickguard, etc etc. Not anything too unique for it's own "model".

Toptube
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Toptube » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:09 am

spudmunkey wrote:...Electric City is shutting down due to health reasons. Kiesel took over the design/manufacturing of the Johnny Highland pickups. Which now also means that you can get them on other models. Individual magnetic pole pieces (something Kiesel hasn't done before, at lease not for decades).

I said this in another thread, but, to be clear: Electric City transferred the exact specs over to Kiesel. Kiesel is making them exactly the same.

However, Jeff said that they are also making a version with Kiesel's own spin on the tone. So, that's two pickups with individual magnetic pole pieces.

dejabluguitar
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby dejabluguitar » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:12 am

Toptube wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:...Electric City is shutting down due to health reasons. Kiesel took over the design/manufacturing of the Johnny Highland pickups. Which now also means that you can get them on other models. Individual magnetic pole pieces (something Kiesel hasn't done before, at lease not for decades).

I said this in another thread, but, to be clear: Electric City transferred the exact specs over to Kiesel. Kiesel is making them exactly the same.

However, Jeff said that they are also making a version with Kiesel's own spin on the tone. So, that's two pickups with individual magnetic pole pieces.

Yeah, it sounds like Mark's pups are a variation of the Hilands.
Jeff also said we could get them as a set to put in other guitars. That's my plan for my SSS due soon.
my cover band http://www.dejabluband.com

my original music
http://www.soundcloud.com/montanestudio
way diffrent than my cover band

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery