NGD - Purple SH445 > New Photos Added!

Post Pictures of Your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Gear - No Cowbelling!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

bdadad
Gold Member
Gold Member

re: NGD - Purple SH445 > New Photos Added!

Postby bdadad » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:44 am

That may be the prettiest guitar I've ever seen!

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:32 am

Thanks pbiz and bdadad! Carvin really knocked it out of the park for me! I couldn't be happier. :D :D :D :D :D

Roy Munson
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: re: NGD - Purple SH445 > New Photos Added!

Postby Roy Munson » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:12 am

Coda wrote:
biffybojangles wrote:Honest to god, that is the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen.

Thank you for the kind words, B'B'. Your aquaburst FG is absolutely beautiful as well! Mutual admiration is one of the driving forces that makes this board so cool. :)

I agree completely. THere have been many many creative builds around here over the years this one is a standout for sure. I'm sure the extra requests added up a bit but were well worth whatever it was.

Any chance this was 'inspired by' a Johnny A. sig. model? Definitely reminds me of one, but better!! Love the larger headstock on this. Bigsby is a huge WIN!

And as someone observed the Traditional Headstock is just the right touch, simple choice yet significant in the overall outcome, CT headstock would be so wrong. Glad tuning stability is great with the less-straight string pull. Wish they'd spec that Bigsby on the CTs!! :drool: :lol: :stir:

Congrats on a memorable and amazing guitar!!

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:32 am

Roy Munson wrote:Any chance this was 'inspired by' a Johnny A. sig. model? Definitely reminds me of one, but better!!

Roy, it's funny you should mention this. I'll share a quick (?) story...

I've always liked guitars with F-holes, and for my second Carvin build I wanted something very different from my CT624. I made a spreadsheet of features I had in my existing guitar and then came up with a feature set that would be fun/different for a new build. So if I were to answer the question about being influinced by the Johnny A. model at this point in the project I'd have said definitely "no." Here's what the spreadsheet looked like:

About 2 weeks into the agony of being in The Waiting Room I was at my desk and I looked up at the only painting on my wall. It's a painting of three guitars that my wife made me as a birthday present in 2007. For the painting she asked me for a photo of my 3 favorite guitars. (I had no idea what she was up to.) I gave her digital photos of a Taylor T5, a Gretsch 3156 and a Gibson Johnny A. Guess what? In the painting the Johnny A is purple and has a Bigsby. The painting has been hanging in my new office for at least 2 years, and throughout the entire planning and build of my SH445 I made absolutely no connection to the guitar in the painting or to the J.A. model. But I think that there must have been a subliminal connection! I therefore change my answer to "yes!"

Here's a pic of the painting.

Roy Munson
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Roy Munson » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:26 am

^^
That is AWESOME!! I love that story, thanks for sharing that gem :) it's the ultimate Rorsach Test/Subliminal Hynpotic/Soul Search/Self-Soothsayer/Guitar Builder :woot:

I sort of go through a similar weird process of cranial-incubation-gestation-schizophrenic-guitar decision making always confounded by the more intermittent and occasionally severe bouts of plain old GAS flaring up! :shh: :lol: spreadsheets may or may not also come into play :shh:

And again, what a guitar you spec'd and Carvin totally delivered. 1st inductee into a possible Carvin >> Hall of Fame??? :think: now that I just stumbled on that idea, why the heck is there not a Hall of Fame stickied thread in the Photo Gallery?? :stir: :stir: :hijack: :wink:

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:05 pm

I'd love to see that exact paint job on a DC600. That's what i've been toiling with the past few days for the Carvin I plan to get in the next few months (my hope is that I can get it in April, but maybe it'll be May or June). That is such a beautiful color. Nice guitar man :D

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:25 am

MatiasTolkki wrote:I'd love to see that exact paint job on a DC600. That's what i've been toiling with the past few days for the Carvin I plan to get in the next few months (my hope is that I can get it in April, but maybe it'll be May or June). That is such a beautiful color. Nice guitar man :D

Thanks, Matias! I'd LOVE to see it on a DC600! If it helps, I asked for:
- a top wood with active grain
- thin black burst with a soft fade

There's not a single wood I can think of where I wouldn't recommend Trans Purple. Lighter colors definitely make it pop. I could see it being really dark on walnut, but perhaps in a GOOD way!. And as I mentioned somewhere else, I'd love to see Trans Purp over Metalic Gunmetal Gray or maybe even Diamond Pearl White. I'm not saying they'd do this, but it sure would be cool, right?

Whether you get it in April, May or June - my advice to you is continue to save, refine your ideas and take the time you need to get exactly what you want right out of the box. Set your sights, my friend, and stay on your path! :wink:
CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:32 am

Coda wrote:
MatiasTolkki wrote:I'd love to see that exact paint job on a DC600. That's what i've been toiling with the past few days for the Carvin I plan to get in the next few months (my hope is that I can get it in April, but maybe it'll be May or June). That is such a beautiful color. Nice guitar man :D

There's not a single wood I can think of where I wouldn't recommend Trans Purple. Lighter colors definitely make it pop. I could see it being really dark on walnut, but perhaps in a GOOD way!. And as I mentioned somewhere else, I'd love to see Trans Purp over Metalic Gunmetal Gray or maybe even Diamond Pearl White. I'm not saying they'd do this, but it sure would be cool, right?

Whether you get it in April, May or June - my advice to you is continue to save, refine your ideas and take the time you need to get exactly what you want right out of the box. Set your sights, my friend, and stay on your path! :wink:

Seeing as all my Ibanez are Basswood body/maple neck (3 of them are rosewood fingerboard) I'm looking into getting a flamed maple fingerboard with abalone dot inlays or maybe even mother of pearl inlays. After I had the opportunity to play a JB200, the flamed maple with abalone inlays was just so beautiful that I want to do it on my own custom (that is the only non-negotioable design on my guitar).

Was purple burst an option 50 color or was it just adding the blackburst edges to a standard Trans Purple?

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:24 am

MatiasTolkki wrote:
Coda wrote:If it helps, I asked for:

Seeing as all my Ibanez are Basswood body/maple neck (3 of them are rosewood fingerboard) I'm looking into getting a flamed maple fingerboard with abalone dot inlays or maybe even mother of pearl inlays. After I had the opportunity to play a JB200, the flamed maple with abalone inlays was just so beautiful that I want to do it on my own custom (that is the only non-negotioable design on my guitar).

Like this? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
(Also shows stainless steel frets - love 'em!)

MatiasTolkki wrote:Was purple burst an option 50 color or was it just adding the blackburst edges to a standard Trans Purple?

The latter - not an option 50 - it's just black burst on trans purple. FWIW, the gloss black sides and back weren't opt 50 either, even though the top is satin matte.

(My two option 50's on this guitar were the Bigsby and the special masking on the neck heel.)

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:29 am

Yeah those! :lol: I also want Jumbo SS frets because I want them to act as if the frets are scalloped. I also want indestructible frets lol

What would be a wood that has an active grain? Also what do you mean by Active grain? I know so little about woods right now :?

I also plan on just a plain gloss finish, I'm a very simple person :lol:

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:41 am

Active grain - just a subjective way of asking for contrast/character in the wood that will show through the finish.

Matias, have you seen this?
Rabihz24's DC600
:twisted:

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:45 am

Coda wrote:Active grain - just a subjective way of asking for contrast/character in the wood that will show through the finish.

Matias, have you seen this?
Rabihz24's DC600
:twisted:

Yeah I saw that. He even posted it on jemsite :D That thing is gorgeous. Imagine that with blackburst... Oooooooo :D

I would prefer that the wood doesn't show through personally, what wood (or top) might be good for that?

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:06 am

I guess if you don't want to see any grain then you'll need an opaque base coat with transparent purp on top, or you're into custom color territory. Both options would be best addressed with a salesperson. 8)

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:11 am

Coda wrote:I guess if you don't want to see any grain then you'll need an opaque base coat with transparent purp on top, or you're into custom color territory. Both options would be best addressed with a salesperson. 8)

Something like the metallic grey base with trans purple top? :D

Here in Japan, Carvin's are so rare because no one knows about them and I want something that is original yet toned down. Your purple with black burst is REALLY nice :D Fits with my idea of "peaceful, inspires peace of mind" and original looking :D

Bovine
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bovine » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:29 am

MatiasTolkki wrote:
Coda wrote:

Was purple burst an option 50 color or was it just adding the blackburst edges to a standard Trans Purple?

Matias, welcome to the world of Carvin! Coda is giving you some excellent advice here too, especially his link to Rabih's Trans Purple on Swamp Ash to help answer your questions. You mentioned that you are coming from the world of Ibanez and want to try some different options than what you're used to. I can totally relate to that because that's exactly what I was thinking on my first Carvin after playing mostly Ibanez & Hamers a few years ago. There are a few things I wish I had known then so I will try to pass them on to you now and hopefully they will be of some help:

1) No matter what else you get, DEFINITELY pay the extra $40 and get STAINLESS STEEL FRETS!! These babies make bending strings like cutting through warm butter. It's developed my playing in the way I think now, where I find myself bending up sometimes in thirds rather than just the typical whole step I used to do. Can't emphasize this option enough!

2) Even if you get a gloss finish, consider getting the back of the neck done in either Satin Matte or Tung Oil. Again, it's for playability purposes. 100% gloss does look gorgeous on the back (especially if you get a burst color) but splitting it up with a natural feel neck removes the "stickiness" dilemma that a gloss finish can bring, and doesn't look bad even with the partition.

3) Consider the weight of the guitar wood you choose. If you want your guitar to not feel noticeably heavier than your Ibanez, you might want to go with Mahogany or Alder. Or choose a design with a lot of hollowed out chambers like the HH2 for example. And remember you can usually add a top wood over these body woods if you are drawn to a particular color & grain that you want to see pop from the front.

4) Load up on unique options that are noticeably different from what you're used to (like you said with a flamed maple neck). Bird's eye maple fretboard is also a flashy new thing if you're only used to rosewood. Other toys you might consider playing with are a body binding, rounded edges (on the DC127, DC135, and DC145s), inlays, & headstocks. If you are going for a transitional body style that isn't too far away from what you're used to with Ibanez then you're probably on the right track with the DC600, which is probably the closest to it with its sharper horns & body cut. Tons of other great builds though if you want to really branch out. The 10 Day return policy is a beautiful thing!

5) Keep asking questions. This forum is full of players who have all wondered about the best way to get the most bang for their buck. I really enjoy their feedback! Coda is a great example of that right here in this thread already.

So have fun and enjoy the ride!

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:49 am

Bovine wrote:
MatiasTolkki wrote:
Coda wrote:

Matias, welcome to the world of Carvin! Coda is giving you some excellent advice here too, especially his link to Rabih's Trans Purple on Swamp Ash to help answer your questions. You mentioned that you are coming from the world of Ibanez and want to try some different options than what you're used to. I can totally relate to that because that's exactly what I was thinking on my first Carvin after playing mostly Ibanez & Hamers a few years ago. There are a few things I wish I had known then so I will try to pass them on to you now and hopefully they will be of some help:

1) No matter what else you get, DEFINITELY pay the extra $40 and get STAINLESS STEEL FRETS!! These babies make bending strings like cutting through warm butter. It's developed my playing in the way I think now, where I find myself bending up sometimes in thirds rather than just the typical whole step I used to do. Can't emphasize this option enough!

2) Even if you get a gloss finish, consider getting the back of the neck done in either Satin Matte or Tung Oil. Again, it's for playability purposes. 100% gloss does look gorgeous on the back (especially if you get a burst color) but splitting it up with a natural feel neck removes the "stickiness" dilemma that a gloss finish can bring, and doesn't look bad even with the partition.

3) Consider the weight of the guitar wood you choose. If you want your guitar to not feel noticeably heavier than your Ibanez, you might want to go with Mahogany or Alder. Or choose a design with a lot of hollowed out chambers like the HH2 for example. And remember you can usually add a top wood over these body woods if you are drawn to a particular color & grain that you want to see pop from the front.

4) Load up on unique options that are noticeably different from what you're used to (like you said with a flamed maple neck). Bird's eye maple fretboard is also a flashy new thing if you're only used to rosewood. Other toys you might consider playing with are a body binding, rounded edges (on the DC127, DC135, and DC145s), inlays, & headstocks. If you are going for a transitional body style that isn't too far away from what you're used to with Ibanez then you're probably on the right track with the DC600, which is probably the closest to it with its sharper horns & body cut. Tons of other great builds though if you want to really branch out. The 10 Day return policy is a beautiful thing!

5) Keep asking questions. This forum is full of players who have all wondered about the best way to get the most bang for their buck. I really enjoy their feedback! Coda is a great example of that right here in this thread already.

So have fun and enjoy the ride!

Thanks Bovine :D

Actually I really want an Alder guitar (I got obsessed with Alder after playing a Fujigen Alder Bodied Telecaster) and I love maple necks. I checked the Birds Eye but I didnt like the wood look so I'm sticking to flamed maple with abalone or Mother of Pearl inlays.

I love the Ibanez body shape which is why I wanted a DC600 (also the pup selector is the type I like). I started off looking at the DC127 but I dont like that switch for the pup selector and the price is the same for the body type so I figured stick with the superstrat body type but do something nice for the color.

I didn't understand the difference between a natural and a tung oil finish on the back of the neck but you made that VERY clear for me, thanks :D

I am definitely doing Stainless steel Jumbo frets. Very different feel than my RGs.

Until I can get a color decided on, I can't decide if I want a flamed or quilted top. Still thinking go simple, no tops and just get a nice color.

Bovine
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bovine » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:17 am

Cool! Sounds like you are making serious progress toward your goal.

Actually I did a fairly lousy job of describing the back of the neck so let me try again. (Or maybe someone else can do a better job of explaining it.) My usage of the word "natural" was a little confusing. As I see it there are two extremes where back of the neck is concerned: GLOSS and TUNG OIL. SATIN MATTE is kind of a happy medium in between.

GLOSS is shiny like what you would expect to see on a new car. The only downside is that when you are playing it in humid conditions the back of your hand can kind of stick to it a little against your wishes. Some guys aren't bothered by this at all but some of us are. There are things you can do to compensate for the resistance, but just be aware it is inherent with a glossy back.

TUNG OIL is the complete opposite, where there is the most smoothness and NO stickiness but it can only be done over natural wood. Therefore no paint colors are available over tung oil. If you select this option, there would be a straight line at the heel where the color of the painted body stops and the natural wood of the neck begins.

SATIN MATTE has the most flexibility (in my opinion). It gives the super smoothness of the Tung Oil feel AND you can have it applied over EITHER a colored painted neck OR over natural wood. If you elect to have it done over a painted color, there will be a slight difference in the way the color shows on the back of the neck and the back of the body.

Hope this clears it up. If anyone has a better way of explaining it, please jump in.

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:27 am

Bovine wrote:Cool! Sounds like you are making serious progress toward your goal.

Actually I did a fairly lousy job of describing the back of the neck so let me try again. (Or maybe someone else can do a better job of explaining it.) My usage of the word "natural" was a little confusing. As I see it there are two extremes where back of the neck is concerned: GLOSS and TUNG OIL. SATIN MATTE is kind of a happy medium in between.

GLOSS is shiny like what you would expect to see on a new car. The only downside is that when you are playing it in humid conditions the back of your hand can kind of stick to it a little against your wishes. Some guys aren't bothered by this at all but some of us are. There are things you can do to compensate for the resistance, but just be aware it is inherent with a glossy back.

TUNG OIL is the complete opposite, where there is the most smoothness and NO stickiness but it can only be done over natural wood. Therefore no paint colors are available over tung oil. If you select this option, there would be a straight line at the heel where the color of the painted body stops and the natural wood of the neck begins.

SATIN MATTE has the most flexibility (in my opinion). It gives the super smoothness of the Tung Oil feel AND you can have it applied over EITHER a colored painted neck OR over natural wood. If you elect to have it done over a painted color, there will be a slight difference in the way the color shows on the back of the neck and the back of the body.

Hope this clears it up. If anyone has a better way of explaining it, please jump in.

IIRC Ibanez are all gloss finish on the bodies so it's probably the most I'm used to. As for the neck, I want it to be like my RG560: Very smooth natural wood showing, no color on the neck. The neck probably would be better off with Tung oil, the body glossed.

Thanks so much for clearing that up for me, makes my decisions a LOT easier :D

Bovine
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bovine » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:44 am

MatiasTolkki wrote:
Bovine wrote:Cool! Sounds like you are making serious progress toward your goal.

IIRC Ibanez are all gloss finish on the bodies so it's probably the most I'm used to. As for the neck, I want it to be like my RG560: Very smooth natural wood showing, no color on the neck. The neck probably would be better off with Tung oil, the body glossed.

YES! That's the way to get what you're used to on your Ibanez. Happy for ya dude :D

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:45 am

Bovine wrote:
MatiasTolkki wrote:

YES! That's the way to get what you're used to on your Ibanez. Happy for ya dude :D

Next problem, color and pups :lol:

Return to Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Photo Gallery