DC145 Refinish [pic heavy]

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb

Troxy88
Gold Member
Gold Member

DC145 Refinish [pic heavy]

Postby Troxy88 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:50 pm

Hello All!

I've been in the beginnings of refinishing my DC145. For some reason a few years back the poly started lifting off of the wood. I'm chalking that up to playing outdoors and garages a lot. It was stored in the case for a few years after I left for college.

This was her in her prime

After about 6 or 7 years I started to notice this. I couldn't take it anymore at this point.

So I used a heat gun to remove the polly. It came off nicely.

Did some sanding

Being pretty bummed about the logo I spent some time trying to replicate it as close as I could. I plan to create a water slide from this. (hope I'm not breaking any rules. If I am let me know. I'll take this down.)

The plan is to use transtint orange dye to get a nice orange color on that maple cap. Then finish it with truoil. Going for something similar to this, except on quilted maple of course.

After that is done it will be getting a new bladerunner super vee tremolo.

A Seymour Duncan Perpetual Burn in the bridge position

Seymour Duncan P-Rail in the neck. I'm keeping the AP11 in the middle because it's sweet.

All that being said any thoughts? I haven't totally committed yet because I'm waiting to hear if Carvin will do a refinish for me. But I'm not sure I want to wait any longer. EDIT: Also not sure I'll be able to afford them to refinish it because I'm buying a darn Numbers guitar and I don't care what my wife says.

When I do kick into high gear I'll keep this thread updated with photos of the process.

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

re: DC145 Refinish [pic heavy]

Postby Coda » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:08 am

:coolpics:

Well this is going in a nice direction! I read somewhere that Carvin's refinishes run about $500, but don't quote me on that.

It's amazing seeing all those layers come off. How far did you get with the front - did you sand off all the black stain? The finish on the PRS looks like it has a dark red as the base stain, deep in the grain for the highlights, with the orange on top. With the great quilt on yours, I highly recommend staying with the 'DTS' approach - something i've always wanted to try.

I don't think you'll get any noise for posting/using that Carvin logo. (Now if you were going to rebrand it as a Kiesel, well...:evil: )

Welcome to the BBS, BTW! I look forward to hearing what others have to say and what direction you plan to go in. No such thing as too many pictures!

:D :D :D :D :D
CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

Les Knopflerongo
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Les Knopflerongo » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:20 am

Wow, that's impressive. From what you've described, it'll look awesome when you're done with it!

:rockon:
My Band: http://www.facebook.com/therainydaysduo - Acoustic Pop, Folk, and Jazz Covers

ElfDude
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby ElfDude » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:39 am

Very cool project! Looking forward to the updates.
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on FaceBook
My YouTube Channel

Randy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Randy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:53 am

I LOVE these kinds of projects! Thanks for sharing the progress with us :D

Really looking forward to more progress photos ;)

Troxy88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: re: DC145 Refinish [pic heavy]

Postby Troxy88 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:15 pm

Coda wrote::coolpics:

Well this is going in a nice direction! I read somewhere that Carvin's refinishes run about $500, but don't quote me on that.

It's amazing seeing all those layers come off. How far did you get with the front - did you sand off all the black stain? The finish on the PRS looks like it has a dark red as the base stain, deep in the grain for the highlights, with the orange on top. With the great quilt on yours, I highly recommend staying with the 'DTS' approach - something i've always wanted to try.

I don't think you'll get any noise for posting/using that Carvin logo. (Now if you were going to rebrand it as a Kiesel, well...:evil: )

Welcome to the BBS, BTW! I look forward to hearing what others have to say and what direction you plan to go in. No such thing as too many pictures!

:D :D :D :D :D

Thanks for the welcome! I was actually an activeish member back in 2004 or so. Unfortunately I can't remember my old username or e-mail.

This is an accurate picture of the top. I feel like there should be enough black left in the grain to keep the DTS feel. Also think I'm going to build up the orange. Do a coat of dye, sand, do another coat, sand, etc... etc... Probably do a really dark orange (dye heavy in the solution) and step it back for later coats.

I was worried about the logo because it is a really close high resolution replication. I didn't figure it would be a big deal though.

Some more logo stuff:

This is white (with no background)' download it to check it out.

This is me playing with a drop shadow idea on the black with an orange background.

Troxy88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Troxy88 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:47 pm

We'll call this installment "Biting the bullet".

This is the first coat of dye. I used denatured alcohol and transtint orange dye only. Still really rough; but I'm digging the color. Thoughts?

Troxy88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Troxy88 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:07 pm

Little headstock rendering

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:01 am

Just brainstorming here, but after another sanding I could see hitting it with a wash of yellow to pop the light parts and provide dimension. If you're feeling crazy you could do a burst treatment to the edges with a deep orange-red.

What are you going to use as a top coat?

Wannabe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wannabe » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:37 am

Wow! That is gonna look awesome. I did about the same thing, but I wanted a cool top but mine didn't have it. So I cut the top down and added a quilted cherry top. I call mine the beast;
But I could not find a Carvin logo. And Carvin would not sell me one. (I cried that day. Almost like being disowned by my own family. :( )

Troxy88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Troxy88 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:40 pm

Coda wrote:Just brainstorming here, but after another sanding I could see hitting it with a wash of yellow to pop the light parts and provide dimension. If you're feeling crazy you could do a burst treatment to the edges with a deep orange-red.

That's funny; I just got back from the woodcraft store because i wanted to grab some yellow dye to do just this.

Also. I noticed some sloppiness around the neck joint area and nut. It wasn't sanded as much as I had thought originally. So I picked up a Sanding Detailer. This should really make that sanding detail work much better.

I thought about having a dark orange burst but I'm not confident in my skills. I think I'm just going to try and stick a solid color.

Troxy88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Troxy88 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:41 pm

Wannabe wrote:Wow! That is gonna look awesome. I did about the same thing, but I wanted a cool top but mine didn't have it. So I cut the top down and added a quilted cherry top. I call mine the beast;

But I could not find a Carvin logo. And Carvin would not sell me one. (I cried that day. Almost like being disowned by my own family. :( )

That's a pretty guitar man. I agree on the logo thing. Luckily I have some pretty decent Photoshop/illustrator skills and was able to put that together from some photos I found.

Troxy88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Troxy88 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:52 pm

Troxy88 wrote:
Coda wrote:Just brainstorming here, but after another sanding I could see hitting it with a wash of yellow to pop the light parts and provide dimension. If you're feeling crazy you could do a burst treatment to the edges with a deep orange-red.

That's funny; I just got back from the woodcraft store because i wanted to grab some yellow dye to do just this.

Also. I noticed some sloppiness around the neck joint area and nut. It wasn't sanded as much as I had thought originally. So I picked up a Sanding Detailer. This should really make that sanding detail work much better.

I thought about having a dark orange burst but I'm not confident in my skills. I think I'm just going to try and stick a solid color.

Also; top coat will be Tru-oil

Troxy88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Troxy88 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:07 pm

Tonight's installment.

hit it with some 220 grit. Took it down to get some nice light spots. Mixed some orange and yellow transtint with my denatured alcohol.

Troxy88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Troxy88 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:08 pm

REALLY pleased with the color at this point. Not sure what I want to do next.

ElfDude
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby ElfDude » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:15 pm

Troxy88 wrote:REALLY pleased with the color at this point.

Yeah, that's really beautiful!
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100

Midlife Crisis on FaceBook

My YouTube Channel

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:50 am

Nailed it!
It looks like glowing lava!
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

tbonesullivan
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby tbonesullivan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:06 pm

I like it!!
Guitars: Bolt in Electric Blue, Cobalt 750T
Basses: B4A in classic sunburst , B5 in sunsetburst, XB75 in TPB, PB4 in Blue Burst, LB70F in Pearl blue

Troxy88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Troxy88 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:48 pm

First coat of Birchwood Casey Sealer and Filler.

Troxy88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Troxy88 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Honestly I'm a little dissatisfied with this. Maybe it will get a lot better with some sanding but there's dust and runs and stuff. I'm going to have to get a better way to apply this. I held the guitar the entire time. I need a vice or something.

Return to Builder's Forum