Builders dream.

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb

Wannabe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Builders dream.

Postby Wannabe » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:11 pm

I have a stash of cash in my dresser drawer waiting to order the ultimate guitar. I own a few Carvin's, but they have all been purchased as totally destroyed and I have resurrected them. I want a new one with the finishing touches by them, and thus will be my next purchase. So my questions are slightly just to kill time, but also somewhat real questions that will relate to pulling the trigger once and for all. (And as an aside, I prefer a bolt kit because I am a big guy. 6'5" and pretty stout. I have tried the smaller scale guitars like the neck throughs, but it is just too small. That is why I am leaning toward a bolt/kit. I am also a professional painter, and want to do my own finish.)
1) When will the Kiesel pickups be an option for the builders kits?
2) Which of the pickups will be an option?
3) When will the 24 fret option be woven into the builders kits?
4) What options from the Howe and Becker will be adapted?

Wannabe
Gold Member
Gold Member

re: Builders dream.

Postby Wannabe » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:11 pm

I figured some of these questions would have been addressed by now. Anyone have insight as to when 24 frets will be a builder option? Or Kiesel pickups?

tipover
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby tipover » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:04 am

I don't really have any insight, but I doubt we will see a 24 fret kit.
I hope I am wrong.

Call and ask about the Kiesel pickups. If you are serious about getting a kit, I bet you can get them.

On the neck thru bodies, I think the Lee McKinney model 25.5 scale might be an option for you.

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:38 am

The Kiesel Lithium humbuckers and single coils are now available with bolt kits - if you ask for them by phone. (At least they were when I ordered my bolt kit last month.)

I don't expect a 24 fret traditional bolt kit option any time soon, and I've heard it said that there's no Aries kit coming, at least not in the near future.

My *guess* on the Howe and Becker 24 fret bolts is that they are going to keep them as endorsed guitars for some time, because them being the only 'traditional 24 fret bolts' is helping their sales. Maybe there is a clause in the endorsee agreement that says a time period before making the features available as a non-sig model. That would make business sense. But had a 24 fret kit been available, I would have gone for it, too. :)
CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: re: Builders dream.

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:12 am

tipover wrote:On the neck thru bodies, I think the Lee McKinney model 25.5 scale might be an option for you.

Yup, and the Vader. Holdsworths, too (yes, I know it's not neck-through). AC375, as well, which feels like a neck-through acoustic. :)

Return to Builder's Forum