24.75" scale neck

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb

Andy Buschmann
Gold Member
Gold Member

24.75" scale neck

Postby Andy Buschmann » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:15 am

I can find no mention of a scale length option for Carvin necks. I wonder if Carvin makes a 24.75" scale neck I could bolt on my Fender American Standard Telecaster?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

re: 24.75" scale neck

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:21 pm

Carvin/Kiesel's bolt-on necks are all 25.5". They currently don't have any models (neck though, set neck, or bolt-on), that I'm aware of, that use a 24.75" scale. Their models start at 25" for most 6-strings, 25.5" for others and some 7-strings, 27" for some 6, 7 and all 8-string guitars.

Note that if you're able to find a conversion neck for your Telecaster, that you'll likely need to give up a fret or two to make the scale still work with the guitar's bridge location...unless you're willing to move the bridge, pickups, pickguard, etc.

I'll note that I'm not that familiar with telecasters at all, nor replacement neck options from other makers, but these are just my hunches! :D

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:43 pm

They always did offer true Les Paul scale running up to 1994-ish, when they changed all the LP scale axes up to 25... which I emphatically do not like.

I don't like an attempt to pull the best of two scales in one-- you either have the rude slinkiness of a LP, or you have the ring and pop of a Strat.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

Andy Buschmann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Andy Buschmann » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:13 pm

According to what I've read, a 24.75" scale neck can be used on a Telecaster. The intonation has to be reset and that is all you need. I have 30 years on my 24.75" DC-125 so that will always feel like home base to me.

Wizdum
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 24.75" scale neck

Postby Wizdum » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:09 am

Doctor Turn wrote:.. which I emphatically do not like.

Tonal differences aside, I played 24.75 scale since 1989. And it was the only neck that "felt right". As a lefty, finding 24.75 carvins, that weren't already worn out, was getting more and more difficult. In 2013, I bought a 25" scale Carvin with the thinner neck. It took me 3 years before I stopped noticing the difference in scales. The guitar now "disappears" in my hands. I do like the extra space on the upper frets and I love Stainless Steel Frets. BUT, I do not like feeling the glue lines on the multi-piece neck. They are distracting. My new guitar...(if it ever arrives)...is solid.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Doctor Turn » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:06 am

I'm trying to get with the program by ordering up a CS this year, which obviously is compromise scale/25". I REALLY would prefer to have the true 24.75, but I just kind of fixated on the idea of getting one of those beautiful CS's. Nothing else to be done.

I don't really "need" the Kiesel... I'd be fine hanging on to old faithful the koa DC from the Gibson scale old days, and I feel I've really found my personal ideal platform in these high end long scale single cuts.. but I've always wanted a CS, and I've been wanting a platform for a set of good under wound PAF repros.. Manlius in this case. So I think the two will be a good marriage.

I think one of the things that modern high end (any end really :lol: ) Les Pauls miss at nowadays versus the late fifties originals is the great twang and Tele like clarity. So I think the CS with a nice set of clear, distinctive buckers would be a nice guitar.

In all Korina... :stir:
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:23 am

A few years back, some folks on the Seymour Duncan forums measured the scale lengths of their "25 inch" scale guitars and found they were actually 24 13/16". Did that change at some point?

EDIT: Here's the reference: http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/show ... ost3182003

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:02 pm

24.75 - 25.5
I like it all.

One of those options that never really factor into my guitars.
I currently don't have any Gibby scales, but that's not something I went out of my to do.
It just sort of happened.

You have to jump up to 27" before it's an issue for me.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Return to Builder's Forum