Lacewood, what do you think?

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb

67guitar

Lacewood, what do you think?

Postby 67guitar » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:53 pm

Here is a guitar I built about 2 years ago from scratch, the top is Lacewood and a Spanish cedar back. Neck is mahogany with a blood wood fret board. I should have took pictures along the way to show various stages of completion but at the time I didn't think anyone would care. Anyway, here she is.....Image

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: Lacewood, what do you think?

Postby colossal » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:30 pm

Really nice! I like the soft, sculpted contours. Nice choice of woods too. Bet it sounds great.

Dr. Shrinker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dr. Shrinker » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:55 pm

Not care? I think it looks amazing. Would it be possible to get a closeup of the front?

67guitar

Postby 67guitar » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:46 pm

Wow, thanks for the kind words. Here are some closer shots, please forgive me as this tablet camera is not the best. Image

Dr. Shrinker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Dr. Shrinker » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:22 pm

You have some serious skills. I can barely put a kit together, but that is just amazing work.

I really like the body shape. It reminds me of the ship Nell in the "B" Roger corman movie Battle Beyond The Stars.

67guitar

Postby 67guitar » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:44 pm

Thanks Dr Shrinker, I don't know about serious skills but I do try my best. You should see the ones I've screwed up along the way LOL. Making guitars is very tedious for sure and very unforgiving of mistakes. I am going to do a bolt plus down the road, sooooo much easier than building from scratch. Some of the bolt kits I've seen done here are fantastic, I think it great that these kits are available. Now that the production bolt plus is gone it even more incentive for me to get moving on that. :D

apedrape
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby apedrape » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:16 am

wow, really nice job! I like the body and headstock design. yeah, it usually takes 2 or 3 mess ups before you start getting the results you want. experience is the best way to learn guitar building. congrats and good luck with your bolt kit

67guitar

Postby 67guitar » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:37 pm

Thanks apedrape, I agree experience is the best teacher sometimes. Thanks for the kind words.

Wannabe
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Wannabe » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:01 pm

Awesome!
It is subtle, yet warm and balanced. The different woods flow well with a light contrast. Really nice job,

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:02 pm

That lacewood looks super-cool!

67guitar

Postby 67guitar » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:44 pm

Yeah, Lace wood is a pretty wood for sure. It's easy to work with, sounds similar to mahogany but it's got some weight to it. The back I used Spanish cedar which is a wood choice I would have never thought of using. I got that idea from a local builder near me who does some unbelievable work. It's super light and easy to work but it's grain is sort of plain but it does make for a nice sounding tonewood.

PastorDave
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby PastorDave » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:00 pm

I really like that! :applause: where did you get the wood and how muck may I ask? I'm getting back into repair/refinishing guitars and that would make a great top on something that the top is shot on.
Again, great work!
God bless, Pastor Dave
2013 SH60 DPW, C22B, C22J
2007 AC275 Claro Walnut
2010 Bolt kit HHH Swamp Ash K12B, TBH60, K12N
2012 AC375 Honey Burst Cedar
2012 VT16-212 Brown Marvelon
2013 AG100D ""
2011 HD1500 power amp
2011 LS1501 subwoofer
2012 Cobalt C350
2012 V3212 w/v30 Red

67guitar

Postby 67guitar » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:38 pm

Hey Pastor Dave, thanks for the kind words. The wood came from a hard wood supplier just north of me. They sell it all by the board foot. It's been quite a while since I bought anything as I usually by enough to keep me going for a while. If memory serves me well, the last time I was there I got a board of mahogany about 6 feet x 8 inches x 1 inch thick, a board of lace wood approximately the same dimensions and a pack of zebra wood in various sizes (6 pcs about 18inch x6 inch x 1/4 inch thick) . For all that I paid about $120. I used to get some wood from the wood craft store (woodworking chain store) but they since closed the location near me. Sometimes you can find good deals on ebay. You can get wood fairly reasonable if you shop around. You can get into major money when you start looking at highly figured woods like curly maple and spalted woods.

For finishing I really like tung oil and Tru oil. I've done some with nitro but I really like the feel of the graining in the wood. To me the guitar seems to resonate much more without a heavy finish on it, you can feel it when you play it. I only build for fun so it's not too often I'm looking to buy wood plus building one of these usually takes me several month as I will work on it in my spare time.

PastorDave
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: re: Lacewood, what do you think?

Postby PastorDave » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:04 pm

67guitar wrote:Hey Pastor Dave, thanks for the kind words. The wood came from a hard wood supplier just north of me. They sell it all by the board foot. It's been quite a while since I bought anything as I usually by enough to keep me going for a while. If memory serves me well, the last time I was there I got a board of mahogany about 6 feet x 8 inches x 1 inch thick, a board of lace wood approximately the same dimensions and a pack of zebra wood in various sizes (6 pcs about 18inch x6 inch x 1/4 inch thick) . For all that I paid about $120. I used to get some wood from the wood craft store (woodworking chain store) but they since closed the location near me. Sometimes you can find good deals on ebay. You can get wood fairly reasonable if you shop around. You can get into major money when you start looking at highly figured woods like curly maple and spalted woods.

For finishing I really like tung oil and Tru oil. I've done some with nitro but I really like the feel of the graining in the wood. To me the guitar seems to resonate much more without a heavy finish on it, you can feel it when you play it. I only build for fun so it's not too often I'm looking to buy wood plus building one of these usually takes me several month as I will work on it in my spare time.

Thanks for getting back fast! I'll do some looking around and I also use tung oil almost all the time for the same reasons.
God bless, Pastor Dave

2013 SH60 DPW, C22B, C22J

2007 AC275 Claro Walnut

2010 Bolt kit HHH Swamp Ash K12B, TBH60, K12N

2012 AC375 Honey Burst Cedar

2012 VT16-212 Brown Marvelon

2013 AG100D ""

2011 HD1500 power amp

2011 LS1501 subwoofer

2012 Cobalt C350

2012 V3212 w/v30 Red

Return to Builder's Forum