Ordering my first kit!

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

crypto

Ordering my first kit!

Postby crypto » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:15 am

I have an old Ibanez Art420 that I'm not super happy with, so I think I'll sell it and get something new that I can make myself - it'll be the first kit I ever make, so I'm pretty pumped! But I have a three questions buried in a lot of explanation, if anyone can help:

First, this is what I'm thinking about getting:

Basically, I'm going for walnut neck and body because I like the look of the wood (and it's cheaper than black limba), and tung oiling myself is basically the only option for me financially (I live in a tiny NYC apartment, so I can't do a process that takes a long time or requires a woodshop). And I want the neck and body wood to be the same so it'll have a consistent look.

Walnut - What does it mean weight wise? A lot of people say it'll be heavy, but I don't have a clear picture of what that means, and I haven't been able to find a walnut guitar in any stores. My favorite guitar right now is a mahogany explorer with a mahogany neck - it's not going to weigh much more than that, will it?

Wilkinson Tremolo - I want a guitar with a tremolo, since the only one I have is a 7 string Ibanez with a floyd rose I barely use (because of the extra string), I figure I can always drop in a hipshot contour if it doesn't work out for me.... but... Should I go with a floyd rose? Also, am I shooting myself in the foot if I don't get a locking nut?

And finally, I'm a little lost on what pickups to get, especially Twinblade vs. Single Coil - I'm not positive on the differences other than "higher output" - so "hotter"? I want something versatile that I'll mostly be using for metal - I figured I'd go with the S60A's and maybe replace with an Everything Axe set down the road.

Okay, sorry for the rambly first post, but basically here are the three questions:

1. Is walnut neck and body going to be too heavy?
2. Is a wilkinson or hipshot with no locking nut going to work, or should I just go locking nut and floyd?
3. Any pickup advice? I looked at Carvin's chart, but it was a little mysterious to me. I've never owned anything with single coil, so I'm a little lost on what it will sound like.

Sorry for the (possibly) dumb questions, and any help would be so appreciated!

Not related to questions on how to build it, but I'm thinking I might also pick up a walnut pickguard and knobs to really make it consistent - which I think will look good with the black hardware.

OakParkMusicGuy
Carvinite
Carvinite

re: Ordering my first kit!

Postby OakParkMusicGuy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:03 am

Welcome to the kit club! I'm just finishing the tung oil on my Bolt+ kit now.

I'm a bassist but here are my thoughts:

1. I wouldn't worry about weight. My 5 string Icon bass has an all walnut body and comes in just a but over 10 pounds which isn't bad at all. A guitar will definitely be less.

2. How heavy of a trem user are you?

3. Are you ok with single coil noise are do you want noise free?

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:50 am

You're gonna love it!!
SH645
V440T
Purple Bolt!
DC127 Koa
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

crypto

Postby crypto » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:06 am

I'm not a heavy trem user, but I don't have any guitars with a tremolo except the 7 string I never use; I love the idea of having the option to learn how to use a tremolo, which is why I was thinking of getting it; I also haven't ever had a strat style guitar which is why I'm going for the GK1T!

I don't think I'll mind the noise too much; I figure if the sound doesn't work for me, I'll replace 'em! I've never replaced pickups but I have a masters in computer science and I've done a lot of micro computing soldering over the years.

crypto

Postby crypto » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:09 am

I've mostly just played classical and jazz for a while, recently fell in love with metal so I'm learning more about how complex electric guitars can be! That's why I'm so nervous about getting this right.

OakParkMusicGuy
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby OakParkMusicGuy » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:14 am

I say go for the Floyd then since your getting into metal - with the locking nut.

Why don't you get the Bolt+ kit with the Lithium pickups which you can split to singles that way you get both humbuckers and singles.

Oh and check out my build thread - http://kieselguitarsbbs.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:18 pm

Congrats on considering a Bolt kit, crypto! I'm going to fan the flames a bit...

Walnut... I have a Bolt+ with a walnut body (and maple 1 piece neck) and it weighs a ton. Well, 9 lbs 7 oz to be more specific. It's over a pound heavier than my other heaviest guitar and almost 3 lbs heavier than my Vader. I do notice the weight difference - so if weight is an issue, you should consider another wood.

I find Floyds and locking nuts to be a pain. (The nut on my Bolt+ is a fixed bridge.) Are you using the trem on your 7 string? If you want to do rocking dive bombs then Floyds are, um, the bomb... but if you want an occasional flutter or drop then a trem without the locking nut might suit your needs. While I've never tried the Wilkie trem that Kiesel uses, it has somewhat of a bad rep on this BBS. Their Vintage Trem costs the same as the Wilkie and is more like what you'd get on a Fender Strat. (I'm getting one on my incoming bolt kit, too.)

Pickups - Single coil pups can be hot and gutsy - but are prone to humming. If you live in an apartment and people in neighboring units have light dimmers, fluorescent lights and other electronics that create electrical noise, your amplified or recorded signal could be very noisy. The Twinblade pickups are Humbucking pickups (they cancel the noise that single coil pickups would produce), but they are made to fit into the space of a single coil. If your tastes lie in the heavier rock/metal arena then consider getting a guitar with full size and/or twinblade humbucker pickups - which you can wire to split if you want a single coil sound. (Edit - I'm not positive you can split the twinblades. Can someone chime in?)

Hope that helps. :D
CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

kennym9898
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: re: Ordering my first kit!

Postby kennym9898 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:24 pm

Coda wrote: While I've never tried the Wilkie trem that Kiesel uses, it has somewhat of a bad rep on this BBS.

And a good rep, depending on who you ask.
Carvin SH550B, SCB6, AC375, DC700, Gibson Les Paul, Ibanez, Fender Strat, Jackson Soloist, Washburn,
Carvin V3MC, Marshall DSL40c, Fender Deluxe Reverb, Line6

Return to Builder's Forum