Wudtone or Tru Oil finish

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb

Bass4scott

Wudtone or Tru Oil finish

Postby Bass4scott » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:21 am

Anyone have experience using Wudtone or Tru Oil to finish a guitar or bass? Looking for pros and cons of each finish. Also any pictures of the finished product would be helpful.

MichaelGA
Gold Member
Gold Member

re: Wudtone or Tru Oil finish

Postby MichaelGA » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:42 pm

I used TruOil on the neck of my bass. It was very easy and I love the way the neck feels. I used about 8 coats, with fine sanding after the 4th and 8th coat.

Michael

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

re: Wudtone or Tru Oil finish

Postby Coda » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:31 pm

Hey Bass4scott, I'm currently doing some tests with Tru-oil for a black limba bolt kit I'm working on. So far I really like the Tru-oil. It's going on well and is easy to apply. I'm hand wiping it with a piece of cotton cloth over some paper towel. (For a few coats I just used paper towel.

Here's how it looks after 5 coats. I gave it a light rub down with 000 steel wool after the third coat.

The design is there because I want to use it over a dye, and I needed to test to make sure it is compatible. (Keda dyes - I really like this product.) My test board I think is red oak - similar to the limba in pore openness, but more red in color. The shot above is taken with an incandescent light right above the work.

This shot is how it looks in indirect fluorescent light. The Tru-oil is doing a good job of popping the grain and adding dimension, and runs toward yellow, which is fine for my project.

I put one coat of Tru-oil in the pickup route of the guitar to see what it would look like. The wood literally gobbled up the oil. It's not a huge difference, but remember this is only 1 coat. I like where it is going. :D

CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

Return to Builder's Forum