Brainstorming a Bass Kit - Looking for Advice

Advice and tips on building a Carvin Guitars kit.

Moderators: Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb

JS311

Brainstorming a Bass Kit - Looking for Advice

Postby JS311 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:45 am

Greetings all!

This is my first post here, and this newbie is looking to gain some friendly wisdom from you, more seasoned Carvin/Kieselites. I'm by no means a pro musician...more of a hobbiest if it matters, haha. I've owned a few Carvins over the past decade, a DC145 and ST300, and a BK4 kit bass I built circa '03 or '04; all of them excellent, but all which are no longer with me...and I especially miss my old BK4! Anyway, I'm getting SERIOUSLY back into the bass groove this year, and I'm now brainstorming a bass kit build in the BK40. With my experience from my old kit bass, I know it will be a knock-out instrument...but I am stuck on a few options. I'm planning at least having the stock single-coils, black hardware, and rosewood board but need help/wisdom with the following:

How's everyone's experience with the J99A p/u, especially in passive (I remember mine had the old J99s that were terrific!). Or will these ship with the new JVA singles? I don't think either the J99A or JVA will disappoint either way! :-D

Walnut tone and weight compared to alder (I'm leaning toward the latter...for now, haha!).

Does the active/passive preamp option have the mid boost/cut, and can you blend passive and active levels with it? how does the active tone compare to passive tone with these single coils?

If any of this belongs in another category, I apologize. I'm just waiting patiently 'till I can put forth the moolah and order the kit and need some help in the mean time. I've already decided on a finishing this out with a nice, warm oil varnish like Tru-Oil (I don't gig...I just play at home so it will be well cared for) hand-buffed to a nice sheen. And, of course, I'll create another post when I've finally pull the trigger (with photos from start to finish) :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance, everybody,

Jeremy H.

Praiser
Carvinite
Carvinite

re: Brainstorming a Bass Kit - Looking for Advice

Postby Praiser » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:07 am

My BK50 kit from this summer came with the J99 and J99R pups. I stayed with the stock passive electronics on this build. I also have a used BK50 with the active module in it. I like the sound from both and they are pretty similar.

There's no Mid control on the active bass, but I don't miss it. The Treble and Bass controls are very powerful so you can really change the tones with those. Adjusting the balance between the pickups and altering your playing technique expands the possibilities even further. It gives way more variety than I need.

I love the look of walnut on a bass and both it and alder will sound great in my opinion. I have both between my BK50s and LBs. Go with your gut or the visual and weight tendency you prefer. Walnut can be heavy, but there's no guarantees on any one piece of lumber of any species.

I probably haven't helped much, but let us know what you decide anyway. :lol:
John

LB75AP, LB70P, BK50, BK50F, BK40, C780
PB100, PB200 (With BX500 head and 1x15 ext Cab)
XP1000L, LM153s, LS1801A
Rogue Fretless, Ibanez ABG, Dobro Bass
Peavey Fury P Bass

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Coda » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:28 am

The only thing I'm qualified to answer... Walnut=heavy.

(And stainless steel frets= :D )
CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

JS311

Postby JS311 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:07 am

Thanks for the input, you two! :D I have a very solid foundation what I'd like to have spec'd out: Alder, passive electronics, streaky ebony, possibly stainless frets, and black hardware. Sadly, I'm going to have to wait a while to pull the trigger...emergency auto repairs this weekend just killed my plans. :cry: Once I'm ready again, I'll post again! I owe y'all that much! I hope to talk to you all again really soon!

Jeremy.
"Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding 'you're making a scene'."
-Homer Simpson

Coda
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: re: Brainstorming a Bass Kit - Looking for Advice

Postby Coda » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:07 am

JS311 wrote:...emergency auto repairs this weekend just killed my plans. :cry:

Ouch! Bummer. I hope it didn't involve medical costs, too. Just a breakdown? Can we fix it with duct tape and keep the bass kit project alive? JK. Hope everything's OK. :D
CT624 - SH445 - Bolt+ - SCB7 - Vader7 - DC125 - Bolt Kit

JS311

Postby JS311 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:26 am

No medical costs...just a breakdown with my wife's car. Life happens, haha. It only delayed my diabolical plans a little while. I suppose I can be positive and say it gives me more time to hash out the bass' specs! I have a hardly-controlled imagination and what I might want now may be different done the line. I'm nothing if not proudly indecisive. :D
"Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding 'you're making a scene'."

-Homer Simpson

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Brainstorming a Bass Kit - Looking for Advice

Postby brento73 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:51 am

I know I'm late to this thread, but welcome!

Also, let us know when you order your kit and how the build goes. I've been thinking about getting one, myself. I have an awesome guitar(see link below), which makes most other guitar builds I could think of a little redundant, so I'm thinking of getting bass.

Return to Builder's Forum