Pedal Switch Toppers

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Brian Johnston
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Pedal Switch Toppers

Postby Brian Johnston » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:22 pm

This is a brief overview of some switch toppers for pedals... with a short video showing various styles from plastic to oak/aluminum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIhB7hIT2aA

Switch toppers are neat little additions to any pedal you cherish and have pride. There are three reasons why you may want to include these on your pedals.

First, they improve function by way of increasing accuracy. Simply put, they provide a larger target to stomp. Most switches are only 8-10mm in diameter, whereas toppers typically range from 22-28mm in diameter, thereby making it easier to 'find your target' and land on it.

Second, switch toppers improve comfort, at least for home players who are barefoot or in socks. Less expensive toppers have a flat top, whereas the more expensive brands have a rounded or domed top. Regardless of a topper being flat or rounded, the larger surface area makes it easier (less pressure sensitive) on the bottom of the feet.

Third, switch toppers look cool, adding to the appearance and prestige of a pedal. You can apply a color that is a stark contrast, such as a dark blue topper on a white or yellow pedal, or a complementary color, such as a shade of red on a red pedal. There are so many combinations to add some pizzazz to any pedal, and some switch topper companies even offer custom orders to best match a color or style.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: Pedal Switch Toppers

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:35 pm

I'll have to watch this on my way home from work to see if your experiences line up with my own hunches: plastic works almost as good as the metal (maybe even better in some ways) and the best value for money.

I got the Mooer ones from alibaba. I couldn't be more pleased. I was worried that they might be the wrong sizes because I noticed that the aluminum "barefoot pedals" ones came in different sizes, but these Mooer ones fit on every pedal I had from MXR, Walrus Audio, Wampler, EHX, TC electronics, etc. And they did so without obscuring any other knobs/text.

I don't actually "stomp" on my stop boxes very hard though, and I suspect they could crack if one were to really put their weight behind it, or put pressure on it too unevenly, like if you stomp half-on and half-off the pedal, going off the side.

I will say that even with the absolute cheapest price I could find online, I do think they are still over-priced for what they are...but compared to the competition, they seem to be great value and I no longer have sore toes from when I play in socks. Ha!

#1 and #3 were my lowest priorities, but when I ordered them, I did order enough so that I'd have the right colors to match the pedals I had with a coordinating color. That said, I'm not sure what color to put on my new EHX C9 pedal I just gotr yesterday, with the cream and brown color scheme. Ha!

Of course #1 and #2 would both be moot if everyone just made pedals like Boss or the Hardwire DigiTech line. :lol:

Brian Johnston
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Brian Johnston » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:41 am

The Mooer ones do not fit on the smaller switch sizes (not sure if they are European or what, although I have a Canadian made pedal with a small switch). In that case, you would need a Barefoot topper. I don't mind the plastic ones... I have several... but when you get a high end one on a pedal (e.g., Sonic Stomper) it looks darn snazzy.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:14 pm

I bet. I just couldn't justify the cost since I wanted a bunch (12, I think).

20180712_181338.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to Other Gear