So I want a tele, but there's a catch. . .

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

So I want a tele, but there's a catch. . .

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:31 pm

. . . my main player is a CL6, my backup is an Ibby Prestige, and my jazz guitar is an Ormsby Hype GTR. You can see the pattern here. I'm looking for a modern take on a tele with a few requirements for a project I'm starting work on.
    Has 2 Fender-style single coils, and the bridge has to be a tele pickup
    Has at least a back contour
    Thinner & wider than an old-school tele neck (42mm nut minimum)
    Not super vintage sounding
    Under $1000
What I'm looking for is a very modern take on the tele vibe, with a modern single-coil sound (I'm probably just gonna stick some noiseless Duncans or Dimarzios in there tbh, so really not a big deal) that works well clean or with medium levels of gain (if you guys know the bands Somos and Closure in Moscow, they're as heavy as I'd ever get with this).
I'm looking at the Chapman ML-3 Pro Traditional ($879 at GC, second choice), and the Ibby Talman Prestige (like $600 used but mint, $700 NOS, first choice), mostly. The Strandberg Salen would be awesome, but that's like 2 grand. The Fender stuff isn't the right vibe I'm going for without going into the newer American Elite or whatever they're calling it now and that's over budget, even used.
Doesn't have to look exactly like a tele, doesn't have to sound vintage, and I'm very willing to do some work on it as long as the body, neck, and frets, are good. All thoughts welcome.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: So I want a tele, but there's a catch. . .

Postby spudmunkey » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:50 pm

You should be able to fine a ton of Carvin TL60 models in that price range.

Has 2 Fender-style single coils, and the bridge has to be a tele pickup Many TL60 are two single coils...I don't know enough about tele pickups to say anything about if it would or wouldn't work)
Has at least a back contour Back, forearm, and neck-through smooth heel
Thinner & wider than an old-school tele neck (42mm nut minimum) I believe TL60 would have had a 42mm nut, but I can't say how the thickness compares to an old school tele...but the radius is flatter on the TL60, I'm almost possitive
Not super vintage sounding that'll depend on the pickups, I suppose
Under $1000 Tons out there.

Search reverb for "Carvin TL60" and every one of them is under $899 shipped.

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:07 pm

spudmunkey wrote:You should be able to fine a ton of Carvin TL60 models in that price range.

Has 2 Fender-style single coils, and the bridge has to be a tele pickup Many TL60 are two single coils...I don't know enough about tele pickups to say anything about if it would or wouldn't work)
Has at least a back contour Back, forearm, and neck-through smooth heel
Thinner & wider than an old-school tele neck (42mm nut minimum) I believe TL60 would have had a 42mm nut, but I can't say how the thickness compares to an old school tele...but the radius is flatter on the TL60, I'm almost possitive
Not super vintage sounding that'll depend on the pickups, I suppose
Under $1000 Tons out there.

Search reverb for "Carvin TL60" and every one of them is under $899 shipped.

My issue with the TL60 (the cheapest one I've seen being $849) is that after labor costs, not even counting the new parts, they end up being more than I'm looking to spend.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:09 am

I Got the Chapman ML-3 Traditional (First version). It has a Duncan Custom mini humbucker with coil tap and a Fender Vintage Noiseless neck pickup. I absolutely LOVE it! Jumbo frets with a 14 inch fretboard radius.
All the Tele Tones with a modern feeling neck.
Goes from Trebly Twang to Thumping Big Bang!

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:48 am

Naked Ape wrote:I Got the Chapman ML-3 Traditional (First version). It has a Duncan Custom mini humbucker with coil tap and a Fender Vintage Noiseless neck pickup. I absolutely LOVE it! Jumbo frets with a 14 inch fretboard radius.
All the Tele Tones with a modern feeling neck.
Goes from Trebly Twang to Thumping Big Bang!

I just picked up the Chappty ML-3 Pro Traditional - bad ass tele machine.
Sounds like just what you're looking for. It's definitely worth a test drive.
chappy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:40 am

$529. All you need is some tung oil and sandpaper.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/kits/tlk1
facebook.com/hamfistrocks

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby GuitFiddle » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:42 am

Though I've not played one, the Chapmans listed look like exactly what you're asking for. Don't compromise on the plate bridge and the Tele bridge pickup; it's a big part of the Tele sound. A TL60 or TLK1 will not get you there.
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:06 am

Oh no you don't! I had Tele GAS earlier this year. Don't bring it back!
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:45 am

You and me both... I made that whole thread about it, and managed to shake it off, but this thread isn't helping. But if I do a Tele, I'm going to want that classic Tele sound (kinda the point).

And yes indeedy, that bridge plate (and imho the barrel bridge) are indispensable parts of that Tele recipe that can't be done away with.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

HarlowTheFish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:57 am

ElfDude wrote:Oh no you don't! I had Tele GAS earlier this year. Don't bring it back!

Sorry.
. . . but aren't they nice and simple and awesome? :wink:

Doctor Turn wrote:You and me both... I made that whole thread about it, and managed to shake it off, but this thread isn't helping. But if I do a Tele, I'm going to want that classic Tele sound (kinda the point).

And yes indeedy, that bridge plate (and imho the barrel bridge) are indispensable parts of that Tele recipe that can't be done away with.

I really dig the 3-barrel ashtrays with the cutaway sides for both access and vintagey cred. Really wanna try one with a reverse-angled bridge pickup, I feel like that'd work a little better for me.
Then again I wanna drop a Fralin Split Steel Pole in it so I wonder how much it'll matter.

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:01 am

Doctor Doug wrote:$529. All you need is some tung oil and sandpaper.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/kits/tlk1

I was told "all you need is love." Guess I was lied to.

Back on topic, the kit is a fantastic idea, though getting the Tele sound might require a pickup swap. About the closest I've heard (thus far) to a Tele would be the Lithium singles, in a video recently watched. Additionally, the Tele has some of its sound come from the bridge and pickup combo at the rear. The front pickup isn't really a big deal, and that sound can be found with the regular Carvin/Kiesel pickups.

Tons of options if you're handy, and have tools. If not, well, I second the kit with some mods, or a used TL60.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:32 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:Back on topic, the kit is a fantastic idea, though getting the Tele sound might require a pickup swap. About the closest I've heard (thus far) to a Tele would be the Lithium singles, in a video recently watched. Additionally, the Tele has some of its sound come from the bridge and pickup combo at the rear. The front pickup isn't really a big deal, and that sound can be found with the regular Carvin/Kiesel pickups.

You might be able to order the kit with Lithium single coils. And with the bridge-add switch that comes standard, you can get that front and rear pickup combo, no problem. 8)
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:39 am

ElfDude wrote:
UnexplodedCow wrote:Back on topic, the kit is a fantastic idea, though getting the Tele sound might require a pickup swap. About the closest I've heard (thus far) to a Tele would be the Lithium singles, in a video recently watched. Additionally, the Tele has some of its sound come from the bridge and pickup combo at the rear. The front pickup isn't really a big deal, and that sound can be found with the regular Carvin/Kiesel pickups.

You might be able to order the kit with Lithium single coils. And with the bridge-add switch that comes standard, you can get that front and rear pickup combo, no problem. 8)

i actually meant that the Tele's bridge also holds the pickup (as a unit, basically), that does affect the sound.. It's a little harder to get without that, or I'm a firm believer in such. As for bridge and neck pickup; yeah, that's not a problem.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:40 am

UnexplodedCow wrote:
ElfDude wrote:

i actually meant that the Tele's bridge also holds the pickup (as a unit, basically), that does affect the sound.. It's a little harder to get without that, or I'm a firm believer in such. As for bridge and neck pickup; yeah, that's not a problem.

Yeah... that weird Tele bridge is definitely a thing.

Return to Other Gear