Gibson Steps On It's Own Head

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Gibson Steps On It's Own Head

Postby Omsong » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:19 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Although I have to say, there is one blending of the two sensibilities that nobody really craves--

[img]494/650_754.jpg[/img]

[img]IMG_4066.jpg[/img]

But I hafta admit these are pretty cool..
[img]v1544454586/gwdfh8yl0qndtvggr2pb.jpg[/img]

just ask Frank Marino and or Joan Jett ..But she uses the symettrical DC shape like the 150.. but these are about as low down on the popularity scale as they come--

[img]/v1474762016/qprcawcrk1pjl1qr8wnx.jpg[/img]

In terms of Gibson LP's in general, and "vintage" sensibility.. the guitar itself in all of its aspects is a vintage item. There's very little that's new besides creating pickups of such high output they're almost useless beyond niche applications.. beyond the ergonomics of this or that new design, which themselves are just minor mods of what was going on w Steinberger decades ago, really beyond the addition of endless strings beyond 8, and multiscale, everything is essentially a new vintage guitar.

Hey, Doc. I'd be carefull about posting pics of Gibson's; their corp. lawyers might sue you for copyright infringement...
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

Naked Ape
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Naked Ape » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:52 pm

When they start threatening family members with lawsuits, that's when I'll be disappointed. :shock: :wink:

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:49 pm

Yeah Gibson applied for a trademark for the Flying V in EU Court but was told to sod off because literally everyone made a V by the time they put the request in in 2010.

Yeah that tends to happen when you neglect to enforce or protect anything for 50 years. Good job guys, good job.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:42 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:Yeah Gibson applied for a trademark for the Flying V in EU Court but was told to sod off because literally everyone made a V by the time they put the request in in 2010.

Yeah, that tends to happen when you neglect to enforce or protect anything for 50 years. Good job guys, good job.

They ARE a bit slow out of the gate... Kiesel apparently aggressively fights copyright and trademark infringement, and even recently won a settlement against a Chinese knockoff factory, although I doubt that it will be rigorously enforced by the Chinese gov. Still, it apparently prevents them (or any second source) from legally importing their knockoff junk into the US. Every company has a right to go after thieves "in a timely fashion". But, IMO, there should be some legal recourse for companies sued by false pretense or frivolous claim. If a Plaintiff loses their case and it is ruled frivolous, there should be some financial compensation due to the defendants. A small independent builder does not have the deep pockets to defend themselves, and could go bankrupt win or lose. Gibson knows this, and that is one reason why they are now perceived as bullies.

Kiesel
Past tense

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:59 pm

Omsong wrote:IMO, there should be some legal recourse for companies sued by false pretense or frivolous claim. If a Plaintiff loses their case and it is ruled frivolous, there should be some financial compensation due to the defendants. A small independent builder does not have the deep pockets to defend themselves, and could go bankrupt win or lose. Gibson knows this, and that is one reason why they are now perceived as bullies.

Technically there are processes for this, but they rely on the filer acting in bad faith. They apply to district and appeals courts for civil suits, but they A) need to be imposed by the court and B) are only in effect if the filer does not, to the best of their knowledge, believe the suit has legal validity. Like any other "in good/bad faith" legal measure, it's basically a crapshoot.
As far as attorney's fees (which are the big problem for small builders), US law doesn't as a rule (though there are legal and per-case exceptions) make the loser pay the winner's legal fees because that might make low-income plaintiffs afraid to file suit if they'd be unable to pay. On a per-case basis, judges can make the loser pay if it's appropriate, and if specific laws or contracts apply, that's also the case.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:56 pm

HarlowTheFish wrote:Technically there are processes for this, but they rely on the filer acting in bad faith. They apply to district and appeals courts for civil suits, but they A) need to be imposed by the court and B) are only in effect if the filer does not, to the best of their knowledge, believe the suit has legal validity. Like any other "in good/bad faith" legal measure, it's basically a crapshoot.
As far as attorney's fees (which are the big problem for small builders), US law doesn't as a rule (though there are legal and per-case exceptions) make the loser pay the winner's legal fees because that might make low-income plaintiffs afraid to file suit if they'd be unable to pay. On a per-case basis, judges can make the loser pay if it's appropriate, and if specific laws or contracts apply, that's also the case.

It could surely work for or against a plaintiff. Not all legal decisions are morally fair, just usually legally "correct".
Think I remember hearing that British courts generally do (or can) impose costs on a plaintiff who loses. It does cut down on frivolous lawsuits by wacko's who are out to "get" an innocent bystander. There have been some individuals on record who have filed over 200 and more petty lawsuits, and even convicted criminals who have filed suits from within the (US) prison system.

Kiesel
Past tense

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Doug » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:19 am

facebook.com/hamfistrocks

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:12 pm

Doctor Doug wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aljGgg70Pg

Is this Gibson's Lame Apology ? :wall:

Kiesel
Past tense

UnexplodedCow
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby UnexplodedCow » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Well, I didn't keep up with the loop, and this has been a fun read. I didn't like Gibson before, and found them overpriced, and lacking in quality. That opinion hasn't changed, and frankly, that video is repugnant, and I highly doubt I'll ever buy their product. They're not joining the blacklist of Wal-Mart stores and Gigabyte motherboards, but they're quite close.
We are entitled to our own, wrong, opinions.

Guitar theorem: G=X+1 where G= guitars one needs, and X = guitars one has.

Do or do not; there is no understand.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:22 pm

Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:24 pm

ElfDude wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Koshchei
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:40 pm

Well, I'm looking forward to never spending another dollar on a Gibson product for the rest of my life.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:38 am

Koshchei wrote:Well, I'm looking forward to never spending another dollar on a Gibson product for the rest of my life.

I've got the only one I own up for sale...
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100

HarlowTheFish
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby HarlowTheFish » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:53 am

Guys, it's fine to buy Gibsons

Just do it on the used market where the Big G won't make a dime :mrgreen:

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:33 pm

Dean Counter sues Gibson YOUTUBE LINK

Kiesel
Past tense

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:30 am

Go Dean! :applause:

Naked Ape
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Naked Ape » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:36 pm

I can't get enough Gibsons.
I'm not a Doctor, but I did play one ALOT....when I was a kid. :wink:
I guess I don't pay much attention to social media nonsense, or involve myself in others' litigation practices. I don't particularly like what has happened with the whole Carvin/Kiesel family/company Or Gibson, but I like the guitars they make.
Lucky me. :)
I am loving this Les Paul. :shock: I like Black guitars.
Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 1.03.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 1.02.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 1.02.49 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to Other Gear