New Custom Pedal Board - Construction Pics Added

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

re: New Custom Pedal Board - Construction Pics Added

Postby Geddy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:55 am

It's all good TriAxis, post away if you want to ... or do both :D

Your wife sounds awesome, you're a lucky man. You may have to post a thread of your family and gear, it's always fun to see what everyone uses.

Cheers,
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
CS624M Ginger
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Marshall 1960A,
Bogner 212C Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's.
Custom Pedalboard

TriAxis
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby TriAxis » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:10 pm

Yes I am lucky to have her, but I tell her all that time that she won the husband lottery!!! 8)

So here is a crappy phone picture I took tonight of my pedal board, and another picture of the corner of my "office."

I need to make a diagram of the flow. Basically I plug into my wireless transmitter. Then the signal goes from the receiver to a A/B/A+B pedal. From one side it goes to another splitter that lets me go to either a pedal tuner or to a fuzz face, then a few effects then to a Mesa Transatlantic head. The other main line goes out to the whammy, then the wah pedal, then the tube driver, then a compressor, then noise reduction... then to the Mesa mini Recto head. I run the delay, chorus, reverb phaser, and flange through the amp's effects loop.

I can play through either amp separately or both together.

And I have a ridiculous guitar collection. I am at 25 right now I think. I have taken a bunch of pictures since I got my latest Carvin, so once I get the pictures edited and posted to my website I will have to let everyone know.

Anyway... my 2 pictures.

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Geddy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:30 am

Nice setup Bro, and very nicely dressed in pedal board wiring and pedal layout. I see we both like our Mesa Bogie gear, I swear my Royal Atlantic head is bomb proof and it should be at 69lbs!!

Very cool stuff, thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

CS624M Ginger

Custom Pedalboard

ejm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ejm » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:58 am

Geddy: I waited a while to see if anyone else responded to your previous post on power supplies. Apparently you and I are the only ones interested in the inner goings on of these things.

“About 15 to 20 years ago, there was a new design with regards to DC power supplies. Passive power supplies all use a step down transformer, bridge rectifier, and a filter circuit to smooth out the DC ripple.â€

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:07 pm

As far as power supplies, I'm surprised at how few options there are. With these newer pedals like the Strymons that require 300-400 milliamps of current I would think there would be more power supplies that can power them, but there aren't. You're pretty much limited to Voodoo Lab, which I'm sure is a quality product, but I'm picky about having something that says "Voodoo Lab" on my pedalboard.

My BBE Supa Charger works fine for me, though. I don't have any pedals that draw that much current, and they all use 9 volts (except my Tonebone, which I don't use, and my Suhr Riot, which I run at 18V using an adaptor to hook it to two spots on the power supply).

As far as isolated connections go, is plugging each pedal individually into a power strip like that, or can it cause noise problems?
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter Tone Block 201
Quilter Interblock 45
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Geddy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:38 pm

Good points as well Coda. My Strymon's power supply is rated for 600mA at 9Vdc, and the main characteristic there is the specific DSP chip being used is a Texas Instrument Shark chip. It's a very easy to use DSP chip which just caused that whole industry to explode about 20 years ago. Processors like a DSP chip work very reliably as long as a minimum of current is available as do the D to A and A to D chips and oscillators. But the processor is the main concern and power supplies are often designed and sized to only be using half of it's capacity. This (from my experience) does not hold for a lot of Chinese technology. Components there are sized just to meet requirements with no room left over and that's why you'll see these inexpensive little components like a capacitor or a small step down transformer fail due to excessive heat. Loading transformers (especially small ones) to capacity will always cause them to fail over time, but if you double it's capacity, it will run ever. There is big money in repairs.

Cheers,

CS624M Ginger

Custom Pedalboard

MikeBass
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby MikeBass » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Check out thegigrig.com for their power supply system - I tried it years ago and have never looked back. Easy and plenty of power to spare, even for large boards. Gives you that "custom" feeling too 8)
Kiesel basses, lots of pedals, nothing wrong

ejm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ejm » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:38 am

2+2: "As far as power supplies, I'm surprised at how few options there are. With these newer pedals like the Strymons that require 300-400 milliamps of current I would think there would be more power supplies that can power them, but there aren't."

I think the key word here is "newer". A lot of the current hog pedals are relatively new compared to some of the power supplies which have been around for years. Also, keep in mind that manufacturer A can't be expected to design to manufacturer B's needs, or look into their crystal ball and anticipate what might come down the pike in the future. Some power supplies do have isolated outs (which enables you to power up both +9v and -9v pedals in your chain), 12v, 18v, sag outs, etc. Besides, in the world of pedals anything over 100 ma or so is a lot of current. If you are a manufacturer that has one of these then you should supply a wall wart with your device.

"You're pretty much limited to Voodoo Lab, which I'm sure is a quality product, but I'm picky about having something that says "Voodoo Lab" on my pedalboard."

Why?

"As far as isolated connections go, is plugging each pedal individually into a power strip like that, or can it cause noise problems?"

I'm not sure I understand your question or configuration. But......

Lets say you have 5 pedals that run off of batteries (normally). If you power each one off of its own AC wall wart, all plugged into an AC strip, then they are isolated power wise.

If you power more than one with the same wall wart, probably using one of those "daisy chain" cables, then any of them using the same wall wart will not be isolated.

Not being isolated is not a bad thing or a problem. If it works, it works. Anyone powering up more than one pedal with a One Spot is not isolated. Anyone using a DC Brick with more than one pedal is not isolated.

Geddy: "My Strymon's power supply is rated for 600mA at 9Vdc, and the main characteristic there is the specific DSP chip being used is a Texas Instrument Shark chip."

I don't own any of the "newer" type pedals that suck a lot of current. I'd be curious to know what some of them *really* draw, versus what the supplied adapter will supply. I saw a tuner pedal once that claimed it needed 600 ma yet ran off of a 9v battery. Huh???? After doing some research, all it really needed was 30 ma. There are a couple of other what ifs that I won't go into here, but let's just say after actually looking into that one case I will forever be suspicious as to what some of these manufacturers publish.

Measuring this current draw can be a tricky thing, too. Some of these devices may have a configuration/design where, on power up, a memory is used to configure another device in the circuit (like an FPGA), and THAT operation can draw a lot of current for a very short period of time. After that is done, normal operation settles in and then only a few milliamps are required. But only us engineers care about that stuff.

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Geddy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:24 pm

The one really nice thing about using the AC adapter power supplies with each pedal is you have isolation with each pedal, no DC current loops among common poles, each circuit is isolated. If your house hold 120Vac ground is noisy from a halogen lamp or a florescent fixture, then the amp will see that noise if it's on the same circuit. I don't have that issue, but a few years ago I pluged my amp (a JCM900 Head) into his outlet and suddenly I'm hearing some radio broadcast coming through my half stack. It was a very "Spinal Tap" moment, but I didn't throw down my guitar and give up on a jam session. :P

I got an extension cord and plugged it into the same outlet he was using and voila! No more radio broadcast. I did open up the receptacle after, and sure enough, it wasn't grounded. I was able to bond the receptacle with a bare piece of #14 copper running to a close by water pipe. Tested the receptacle again, no more broadcast. I like my compensation, ice cold beer! Magic.

Cheers,

CS624M Ginger

Custom Pedalboard

JeffBlue
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby JeffBlue » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:05 pm

Hey Geddy...........nice work and an interesting design. Booyah!

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Geddy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:33 am

Thanks JB. It's working out great too.

Cheers,

CS624M Ginger

Custom Pedalboard

Return to Other Gear