NGD Hagstrom Northen Series Super Swede.. SCORE!!

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Re: NGD Hagstrom Northen Series Super Swede.. SCORE!!

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:23 am

Cool! I bet that thing plays like a dream, then. What kind of pups on it?

Speaking of Cosmic Black burst Northern Super Swedes... Heh... I can't say more because it's not me.

I'm getting set to record them, but I love setting them next to each other. They can't agree on knob placement, placement of the pickup switch, they can't agree on bridge, binding type, pickup count or type, neck profile (rounder meatier profile on the Northen), board radius,... Traditional 12 on the Northen and 15 on the MIC. But yet they are very cooperative sisters and both have slotted into my world and work incredibly well.

Swedish sisters in am sunlight.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:41 pm

That's a nice pair of Swedes. I'm glad they're not wearing bikini's. :lol:
The Big-Butt Ibanez plays great. It actually has the flattest fret profile I've ever felt. I think it's a 25,000 mile radius (flat).
You may frown at the pickups...old style EMG 85's, but the tone is very unique. Much different than my other EMG 85 guitars. Here are a couple songs with it's sibling.
https://youtu.be/JSW7V3Ii0tg
https://youtu.be/9MVcmcuZhhM
https://youtu.be/uF-zGIh1Gkk

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:43 am

How often do you use that X Amp? And how is that EVM? I almost ordered my XV212 w 2 of them, but opted for the much more--now with the knowledge of hindsight--awful Celestion G12M70's. My god did I wind up hating those speakers.

Broken up/distorted they were fine, which was why they were in a million and one Marshall stacks all throughout the 70's/80's. You still see some remnants now. But jaysus, when played clean, they were flatter than an ironing board and even more uninteresting than a dissertation in nasal delivery on 1970's programming techniques for the various pong games that first appeared in the old video arcades.

In other, repetitive news, I just adore this Northen SS. It is essentially the inverse of a super strat--25.5 scale with humbuckers. Rather than a strat taking on the pup characteristics of a LP, it's a LP keeping it's pups but taking on the scale length of a Strat. Good lord does it ever work well with very clear and articulate Alnico II buckers with a more vintage wind/output, rather than the typical higher output found in modern Ibby superstrats and the like. The cleans pierce and bloom but retain the warmth and depth, the chords have fabulous note separation... I could go on and on. The frets here are far higher quality than the MIC (which themselves are not bad by any means, but these have the smooth buttery feel of any good high end axe with premium wire).
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:54 pm

I missed that you started this new thread doc.

Of course, when I break 2 ribs just walking over to water the trees . . . that is not surprising. :oops:

As of today . . . My Northern Super Swede is ON IT'S WAY! :applause:

Real pics in a few days . . .

Doc's gotten me Hag addicted. If the IRS ever sends us our money [yeah, that would be from last year - long story], I still intend to get a tri-p90 SS and a Super Viking of the much cheaper Chinese origin . . . they are great guitars but the tremar varieties may require some slight modification to keep them in tune. At least the ones I tried before did. Doc apparently got him a good one though . . .

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:23 am

Yup.. I clued him into probably the last remaining pocket of a flame top super here in the States. I've since located at least one more vintage sunburst super overseas... Which I just might grab. This guitar has become my instant Number one.

The thing that's fabulous is it doesn't, in its natural state, with an"average" setting on your amp and on the guitars tone controls, sound like you just sampled that stereotypical Les Paul sound. This is aside from the whole scale length issue. It has a fantastic and very malleable sound all its own. The 150 was always like that too.. in its natural state it has a very Les Paul esque sound, but you're not boxed into that highly identifiable, overused Lester sound that's on a thousand albums, that's difficult to wash away. Yesterday I was playing, of all things, a 2017 LP tribute T, with (of all things) the 400 series pickups (same as on the Lifeson access), and I really loved playing it... I couldn't believe such a cheap (899) current line LP could turn me on so much... Also played a pretty good studio from this year. The Northen is in a class far beyond these non custom shop Gibsons, but I almost whipped out my rent money and picked up one of these plain top honey burst Tribute T's. It was a really fun little guitar with a great sound, and felt a lot better than some of the non custom shop pieces to come out of Nashville over the past two years. The problem with Gibson scale guitars is they can get very muddy. On the other hand, nothing is better for soloing... The soft spongy feel is heaven.

I was all set to grab one of these little Tribute 17 models, and that would plug the 22 fret short scale hole (and put a genuine LP in my gun rack) nix the CS, and buy the Vanquish for the single coil hole in my arsenal. But the tone knob fiasco on the Vanquish killed that quick.

But these Northen Super Swedes... They're almost made for me... Feel wise, they split BEAUTIFULLY because of the combination of the good pickups and the longer scale. I'm surprised that Gibson went through the trouble of designing a CS Long Scale Les Paul, but didn't include splitters on the pots. Aside from the great clarity, and better drop tuning, it's the best bucker split on a Les Paul type (far better than the M22s on the 24.75 DC 150) I've encountered.

I'd like to grab another Northen Super eventually with the plain maple top, with the black pick guard. Looks cool.

Here's one with an AWFUL thin burst:

Looks a little better here, where you can see the dark areas are not black but a deep burgundy red-brown:
Also looks like they kept the plastic binding on that one rather than the flamed maple binding effect on the body... I think that's what it is.. sometimes I think it's true applique binding like the neck, which is made of mahogany so it's true binding on the neck, and sometimes I think they just masked off the top edges when they sprayed the top (it's a generous enough 10mm AAA top, which is around where I like flame to be.. I don't like super crazy busy flame maple.. unless it's a true historic 50's/early 60's Gib).
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:15 pm

On the tuning issues w the tremar.. I'm just not sure what to say. I can go batsh&# insane on mine and it really takes a long time for it to go out. It's definitely more stable than the majority of Bigs and vintage Fender types that I've played. I've never read any user reviews or professional articles on them that had anything but raves for it. I think since you have lockers on all your headstocks in your current arsenal (you said essentially the same about all of your high end Gibsons tuning stability too), and are using a locking Floyd.. I think you've come close to forgetting how vintage trems actually are.. and with the super low price you went on your two intro choices, the bottom of the barrel was scraped with non authorized dealers on Reverb. Non-locking/used, questionable models. I got my MIC from Sam Ash (authorized dealer) who bought direct from their official USA distributor. Mine was getting down close to cost too, but I knew the axe was deffo coming from the legit source (my 3 x P90 is a 2014 btw, not a '12).

It's a huge brand used all over the world, huge presence in Europe and Asia in addition to here, larger company than most non Kiesel brands we discuss around here, not counting the big two... if folks were having these kinds of problems constantly (with the obvious caveat that, the mainline is Asian made and that, like any line including 4-5K Gibsons, bad ones do make it out there, 1 or 2 out of 20... known for sharp frets, "off" p/u routs, cruddy pots which are some of the worst you'll use) they'd never survive. Guild uses their Tremars today, same as in the past. Reissue Thunderbird (was waiting for them to reissue this thing. I love this guitar, the old ones anyhow-- Zal Yanovsky, big hero of mine.. Clapton admitted he ripped Tales of Brave Ulysses main line from Summer In The City) has a Hagstrom trem:

The Guild S-200 T-bird is a reissue of the iconic offset Thunderbird models built by Guild between 1964 and 1968. Reintroduced for 2016, the T-bird brings the unmistakable design back to life with a mahogany body, C-shaped mahogany neck, and a pair of Guild LB-1 humbucker pickups. Beyond its unique contours, the T-bird includes detailed controls over both pickups with tone roll-off and kill switches, as well as a throwback Hagstrom tremolo system. Prices on vintage Guild Thunderbirds have been on the rise for years, but the T-bird reissue puts this unique guitar well within the reach of today's working guitarists.

Extends to Guild's basses too. The classic thinline Starfire:
Binding on the Starfire Bass’ top was three-ply (white/black/white) and the original version sported two parallel handrests. The bridge/tailpiece was made by Sweden’s Hagström, and had rosewood saddles that could be intonated individually.

The original pickups also came from Hagström, and there are significant differences between the single-pickup Guild and its Gibson counterpart; the EB-2 had a pickup in the neck position, while the potent Hagstrom Bi-Sonic pickup on the Starfire was roughly in the center of the top.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:13 am

canon_mutant wrote:

Well, sadly my Hag pictured above showed up today and actually looks like this . . .

So, it is going back tomorrow already. Perhaps this particular Amazon seller is moving all Hagstrom seconds and irregulars but this is certainly NOT the same guitar they had pictured above. I did tell them I would consider and exchange if they even have one AND if I can see the replacement BEFORE they ship it? We will see what happens? A true shame as the feel and tone of these guitars is truly wonderful . . . as is the same with the Chinese models, if you can get a good one?

Pumped to Bummed but not yet deterred . . .

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:06 am

Sorry to see that you're having some bad luck with the Hagstroms. :( Hopefully the next one will be 'The One'!
Sometimes a little hit and miss becomes that 'Blessing in disguise'.
Don't give up!!! :D

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:05 am

They're obviously on the very bottom of the barrel of remnants... At the same time the photo that Amazon uses is from the Hagstrom website.. it's not the actual example you're going to get...

http://www.hagstromguitars.com/electric ... e.html?L=3

I think I saw that they have a solid black one too.

I feel bad. I just found one more overseas in a euro guitar shop. I had him crack it open for me and shoot the top so I could see it. Schwing!

While I agree yours is odd, I'd probably keep it. The one person I showed it to had the same reaction I did, which is that it looks like an airbrush painting of the cosmos. Very unusual but with nothing else left in the States....
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:29 am

The black one looks like a topographical map of the moon!
Kind of neat, although completely not what was pictured.
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:30 am

Btw, the seller is Amazon themselves, right? I thought I remembered us talking about that when I showed it to you... Or did it turn out to be a separate seller? I doubt anyone is secretly selling seconds or anything... You're just at the absolute end of the line.

Why don't you just get this one I mentioned I was interested in?

https://www.amazon.com/Hagstrom-Norther ... m+northern

It's Amazon direct like the one you just bought... And you'll get some money back since it's not the figured top, and two hundred less expensive. It comes with the pick guard. Hopefully there :think: :think: will be nothing there on this one that'll make you want to send it back...

Otherwise there's nothing to be done. All the online stores are sold out completely. I just found that one, which I linked above, plus Amazon, and that may be it globally for the online hunt. Aside from the TSB, I think they have one in solid black on Amazon.

I still would have kept that last one. But I like weird and unusual looking guitars. That "quurl" top reminds me of this one, which is admittedly more symmetrical, which is from some middling euro bands arsenal, posted on FB.

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:21 am

I was looking through a guitar book of mine. Check out these innovative Hagstroms. Some 1959 Sparkles, and 1963 Upper horn that looks a bit familiar. :wink:
Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 6.15.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 6.14.49 AM.png
wut?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:10 am

I love those vintage Corvettes/Impalas. Such a wild guitar all around. Gibson scale, a slab of mahogany, w Stratty pups. (And I never noticed how close that upper horn was to..)

John B. at Premiere Guitar seemed to love the reissue.

From the getgo with these early pearloid sparkle guitars (with the "swimmingpool" pup layout) Hagstroms were completely unique. These early 60's DeLuxe "Batman" (owing to the shape) guitars are quite collectable nowadays.

Generally, they kept the unique vibe going on without veering into kitsch, like the Italian deco/oddball guitars from the late 60's/70's.

EDIT: also notice the familiarity of the logo placement right where the neck joins the body, lengthwise w the upper bout....
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:32 pm

Any news Mr. G?

They look like they still have a true Northen Super Swede in solid black, like so:

Image,

and a plain top tobacco burst w the pickguard:
here, like so::

So they will keep you from worrying about top figuring and get you cash back in an exchange...

What have they told you? Did you get someone on the line?
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:48 pm

canon_mutant wrote:
canon_mutant wrote:

Well, sadly my Hag pictured above showed up today and actually looks like this . . .

So, it is going back tomorrow already.

I think I like that one better than the one you were expecting.
But it is kind of like ordering steak and having the waiter bring you salmon...
Aries A6H, CS6M, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:15 pm

That's what I told him the second he sent me the image when he first got it--I thought it was a far more interesting top than the one on my prototype, which is just old fashioned flame. It's a very very nice guitar (mine), but nothing particularly memorable about it aside from the fact that it's from a short lived high end species that died quickly. For me it's just about the feel in my hand and the sound.

Jerry Garcia probably would have loved that black Super-Swede! "Cosmic Black burst" indeed (that is literally the name of that black burst).
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:08 pm

You peeps needed to see this thing in person. It was plain BUTT period! There were brown stains mixed in with the silver and black of what I guess was supposed to be "quilt" instead of flame? Plus I never cared much for quilts any way . . . but I wasn't supposed to be buying a quilt. If this was not a Hagstrom QC reject it sure should have been. Something went obviously and terribly wrong with the stain process on that guitar.

I told them to contact me when they process the return and if there are no actual cosmic blacks worth looking at available I will absolutely consider either plain top. Should know in a couple days. I played it long enough to know I will love how it plays and those pups are to die for. If I could buy them somewhere, I would consider putting those pups in my two Carvins . . . they are that good! With the $189 of points I had, I went with the cosmic black because I ended up getting it for the price of the plain top models. So, getting a plain top for $189 less would even make my wife happy . . . :applause:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:43 pm

Well you can buy Lundgren Smooth Operators.. these are some of Lundgrens longest selling pickups (well over ten years and way before the five year old Northen line) the starting point Alnico II PAF types for what's in the Hagstrom Northen series:

http://lundgren.se/en/mics/humbucker-e/ ... operatora/

But that was just the starting point. Johan Lundgren was sent a pair of the original 1970's Custom 58's, the old Alnico II pickups in the vintage original Swedes/HIIN's and rewound/covered the Smooth Operators to match that character of the old originals. I swear the tones I get from this old HIIN OT is amazing. They were great pups and they sound very close, especially the bridge, to original PAFs.

So they're exclusive (the Northen Series pups by Lundgren) only to that model. I guess he would wind to that recipe in batches and send to the luthiery in Czechoslovakia as batches were made.

But yeah, these guitars, they seriously light me up. The p90 hag is a very good fun guitar on a par with a good studio, middling Standard with P90s, etc, but these Northern series are just the bomb and in another league altogether. And I love the wide, just right neck. It's the biggest home run for my playing in Forty Years playing guitar.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:20 pm

Hey got a response from Johan but no pricing . . . was thrilled I actually got one though. Still waiting on Amazon to process my return.

Dear Garth.

Thank you for e-mailing us. Those pickups are not for sale public.
The pickups for the Northern series are Designed by me and made after our recipe at other factories.
There are the first set: NO 2 set with alnico 2 magnets for a soft Vintage sound.
There is also No 5 set with a much hotter bridge pickup. and a slighly hotter neck than the no 2. both these has alnico 5 magnets.

We have actual one "designed by Lundgren NO2 set Here that you can buy.) It is made by G&B pickups factory.

We can also build pickups for you here in Jönköping SWEDEN That are in the same style but a better quality with more expensive parts.
the Number 2 set is close to a Smooth Opeartor set.
the Number 5 set is close to a Suckerbucker in the bridge and a modern Vintage in neck.

Best Johan

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:57 pm

How cool!! Yeah, I've heard that he's very approachable and will wind custom versions for you if pretty much everything. I never paid much attention to his product before getting this guitar, since I always associated him with his high output products that are so big with the "djentalman" crowd, the band Meshuggah and all that. I know his pickups were a big inspiration to Jeff for his modern lithiums. But it seems his success is at least partly built around the success of the Smooth Operators which have been around for a good while and used by his big clients too.

I'm guessing that new set he's wound for Hagstrom that he's talking about is the set that's going into those Three Kings guitars that are a limited edition part of the MIC line which came out for 2017, and all three Swedes, the entry level Ultra, and then the two higher end Swedes.

http://www.musik-produktiv.com/hagstrom ... swede.html

Note the new Lundy pickups on it, where the bridge is using an obviously hotter a5 mag.

The pickups on these Northen series guitars are already about the sweetest, clearest, woodiest PAF types I've ever played. I don't think I'd want to step up to an Alnico five in the bridge, as they're already pretty much perfect for my uses!

And that's great that he'll wind a set on spec to the Northen specs (or is he just saying that if you like the Northen Series No2 set we can sell you some of our Smooth Operators which are very close?)!

Tempting for the Carvin I'll buy later in the year of he would wind to the No2 specs specifically. Which probably have a few less turns of wire to get them just a bit closer to true PAFs which those Seventies Hagstrom humbuckers were very much like. I believe the Smooth Operators are a bit more in the Medium Output territory of a modern vintage. The Northens are probably wound a hair lighter but with that killer depth and clarity.

li Might be tempted if he's winds a true No 2 , instead of the Manlius for the Carvin this year!

Good luck on the return.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Return to Other Gear