Gibson Ready To Unload New Solid Body?

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Gibson Ready To Unload New Solid Body?

Postby Cynical » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:46 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:[...] and the fact that the "good" ones that are on par with a two grand Kiesel or so many others start at about four grand.

The reason that those other shapes are so cheap is that 1) they have issues[...]

What do you see as being wrong with the SG or Explorer? True, they tend to be a bit more of a "bitey" guitar than the "smoother/sustain-ier" LP (a trait which I personally like them for, but is definitely a matter of taste), but aside from that, both seem entirely functional; reasonably well balanced, decent upper fret access, etc.

(EDIT: Admittedly, I'm biased. My first three musical loves as a teenager were early Metallica, AC/DC, and Black Sabbath. Two SG users and an Explorer user...)

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:27 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:They've got lots of things wrong with them, but pricing the guitar that the world wants most out of reach needlessly is ridiculous.

What boggles me most is that they aren't selling the Classic T (like mine) and Traditional models faster than they can build them. One or the other of these has basically everything that an LP player loves: the Traditional is solid wood (no sissy weight relief), with the fat 50s neck and old-school hardware, while the Classic T has the 60s SlimTaper neck, locking Grovers, 50s wiring, and those marvelous 57 Classic pickups.

Both street for less than $2100 (I got my Classic at a guitar expo for $1600). You can barely build a Kiesel CS3 for that.

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:38 pm

Time to rain on everyone's Gibson love fest:

I was talking to the guys at the place I take my guitar lessons at this past Sunday. The prices are so expensive here now that no one is buying Gibsons in Japan, unless they really have the money to fork out. They've priced themselves out of the market now, and it's only a matter of time before they die. Good riddance.
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RGR580x2 (Pearl white, Deep Wine)
RG5000
RG750VP
1996 Ibanez Blazer reissue

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
JB200C the Purple demon of Nagoya
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:54 pm

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:40 am

That's a good video, asking key questions. Crucially noting what miserable failures the original Flying V and Explorers (not to mention the Moderne which never made it to production beyond the trade shows) were, along with the relatively small run of the original bucker driven LP's from 57-60, and then pulled out of the line by 61 with the brand new SG then notoriously being called a Les Paul (infuriating Mister Lester himself who disliked that axe a good bit). So the true single cut lester ran from 52 -60, and was yanked for poor sales. Apparently nobody knew what do do with such a fat, wide, loud guitar, when the thin, pointed, and toneful Fenders were just dominating everywhere, cutting perfectly through mixes and maintaining perfect clarity even on neck pickups.

It wasn't until Keef and Clapton, and other dudes like Bloomfield around the same time realized and publicly demonstrated what ASSETS these qualities were (especially the way those light, crystal clear vintage PAF LP's of 57-60 sounded) and then-- took them out on stage and into the studio so that the world all wanted them.

I think part of the problem that Gibson & Fender is having right now is: we do NOT live in a world where the electric guitar is prominent in our popular culture, where it completely dominates. There are few new acts young kids can see on prime time television in mass culture, where a new model is being adopted, causing young kids to run out and buy that guitar. That's how it works. Iommi and Young sold lots of SG's for Gibson. Zappa, Clapton, Frank Marino, George Harrison and tons of others sure didn't hurt. Les Pauls? Could go on and on forever w the list of people hauling them into the studio and onstage for legendary performances on film, mass market TV and in arenas, sending kids out running after saving their money. Hendrix probably sold more Fender Strats than Fender print marketing. Seeing people like the incredibly hip (back then) Brian Jones of the Stones playing a Firebird on TV or onstage, that put that guitar into the brains of bzillions of kids.

Today there are small subniches everywhere, but all the biggest acts are just playing the classic instruments of yore. Like this great innovator pushing the boundaries of jazz rock and odd meters:

Actually, I'm sure Gibson is DELIGHTED that Perry is choosing to play Les Pauls when onstage. It's about the biggest marketing home run at the moment among very young millennial students of innocuous chick pop.

What Gibson would need to do--to answer the question of the Beard in the video spud linked--is get these new models into the hands of a major act, and keep it there for at least a year or two. TV appearances, concert films that kids could smoke some herb and go out to see at midnight (like we did w The Song Remains The Same, Stop Making Sense, etc). But apparently nobody wants to hold the new doublecut axe in their hands in public.

I think they have such a pumped up impression of themselves that they thought the theme of the DC's reception would be, "Uh oh! Look out PRS, there's a new (old) Doublecut Sheriff in town and he's about to beat you at your own game, which you stole from him in the first place years ago." Because of course these PRS' remind of a double cut Les Paul Standard:

Maybe it's my personal taste talking, but I think they had a 2 knobber DC that worked beautifully already with the various incarnations of the DC Standard. Another look at a variant:
(cost new? Barely over 2500)
VERSUS:
Cost? $3.5 to $4.5K

Scuze me while I... go hurl.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:54 am

I think the Gib double cut is kinda cool, but keep the price (well) under $2K. They would sell a boatload more if they made an Epi. version.

I have always been crazy over the Firebird - thought it was the coolest guitar when I was 17 and still think so 50 years later! Problem is, you would have to cut down a forest to build two .... :lol:
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:34 am

I think that top horn is hideous. I'm all for new and radical shapes and new imagination to guitars. It's just, to me, a bad variant on something they've already done in both bucker and P90 versions. They've had the asymmetrical DC LP Special w the 2 P90's since the 50's, and the Standard 2 DC w the 1 V/1T since the 90's I believe. They've had the symmetrical Standard 400 XPL and the "Spirit" in the 80's. The reason for the 4 grand "Modern Doublecut" now is the same as when the DC Standard was first introduced... in this case, Wiki gets it right:

Many believe these newer archtop doublecut Les Pauls were developed in response to the high-end guitars of Gibson competitor Paul Reed Smith (PRS), whose PRS guitars most typically have a doublecut design and master tone and volume controls, and whose production eventually went from a small shop (as Hamer's has stayed) to an assembly-line production rivaling Gibson's. This opinion is further supported by the fact that the first of Gibson's archtop doublecut Les Pauls, the now-discontinued Les Paul Studio doublecut (produced in the late 1990s), had 24 frets, as opposed to Gibson's more standard 22 frets. 24-fret necks are featured on some PRS guitars, and are more popular with heavy metal players who often solo at the high end of the neck. Thus the archtop Gibson Les Paul doublecut models are seen by many to be one of Gibson's bids to stay competitive with more "modern" oriented rock guitarists, though many doublecut owners do not play metal or similar styles.

And I love Firebirds! I wouldn't mind owning one, especially one of the vintage non reverse variants (could be with P90's/Studio or the mini buckers, love both pickups) with the set neck design. But I like the reverse standard (neck thru) variants too. The design is cool--just flat out cool. It's not so out there that it's a "metal" guitar (predates that anyway), it's just a super cool shape. One guy who knew how to sling a Firebird onstage, and doubtless spent hours in front of the mirror to get that way, only played one briefly... Paul Stanley of KISS in the mid 70's before they blew up super big time. I've already linked my favorite live performance of them when they were young and still hungry and super aggressive, and still had an aroma of the gritty NYC streets coming off them. It's corny as hell but I love when he whips his strap off before the drum solo and hits his rock god crouch at roughly 2 minutes 57 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GKhMFAhqmk

Unlike others who may want to see Gibson sink, I really hope they don't. The reason I'm so invested in my feelings here is it's Gibsons conception of the electric guitar that's informed all of my favorite models. At heart I've always been on the Gibson side of things just a hint more than the Fender side. I just love the sound of a PAF style humbucker, especially on a thick heavy build bursting with harmonics. Some of my guitars take issue with some of the problems of the scale length when combined with fat girthy pups that Gibson pioneered, and solve that issue for a certain sound for rhythm chord figures especially. But I still own more Gibson scale guitars than long scale guitars: there's no replacing them for what they do. They burst with tone!

I really hope they get out of this. Some people just need to seriously be fired, and a new brain trust put in place.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:00 am

Great video, really "raw" Kiss! Never could understand how someone could play guitar (so well) that's slung at knee level, though!

Whenever I pick up a Gib it's like playing silk; when I play a Fender I'm reminded why it's called a working man's guitar. Still, I keep coming back to that pure, Fender single coil clean tone vibe. But when it comes to distortion, the LP humbucker rules, IMO. I hope Gib doesn't go under either but they've got to get their stuff together. It's crazy when you struggle to find a (new) Gibson mandolin (for example) for under 5 grand these days, with most selling from $7 grand and above!

When your instruments are priced in the boutique price ranges you can expect to only sell boutique quantities. Maybe that's what they want. Sell a couple million Epi's, make a $100 each, and then move a few thousand high priced Gibson's to maintain the brand prestige and still make a healthy $1000 on each of them too.

Hey, maybe I should be on their board! :twisted:

Kiesel
Past tense

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:58 am

There's something to be said for working less hard for the same profit. ;-p

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:49 am

Another killer Les Paul from the book of special runs:

2017 Les Paul Special Premium Myrtle. Myrtlewood top and back:

Mph..

Scuze me while I grab some napkins. I oopsed in my haberdashery.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:02 am

Not to redirect, but if you thought the the double cut Gibson's were ugly, how about this....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kiesel
Past tense

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:55 am

Omsong wrote:Not to redirect, but if you thought the the double cut Gibson's were ugly, how about this....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on FaceBook
My YouTube Channel

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:37 am

Reminds me of the Distortocaster:

Ali Neander played one that GuitarPoint Vintagein the vaterland had taken in for resale:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Rb5r9lRMg

We have a thread for this of course, in the same section. But I'll include a couple of really stupid things--
And derrrrrrrr

omsong wrote:Great video, really "raw" Kiss! Never could understand how someone could play guitar (so well) that's slung at knee level, though!

Yeah, I've actually Tubemated that video to my phone so I can watch it at my leisure offline. I do that from time to time for things that are either visual enough warranting a video download for a song, or that they're really not available in any other form. I think that entire Winterland SF early 1975 concert came in one of their huge boxed sets. When it was dug out of the Winterland archives, I think Stanley and Simmons saw immediately what a fantastic show it captured, with Stanley's voice in peak form, and the band giving out a vibe that appealed to a much older crowd in their late teens/20's, rather than the preteens and junior HS students they eventually aimed at by 1977 or so. Their costumes are a touch more DIY, and they just come off a bit heavier, more authentic, tighter, more muscular and early-70's-ish, etc. Less comicbooky. Simmons actually comes off genuinely sinister as opposed to ridiculous and funny by ALIVE II singing GOD OF THUNDER.

The ALIVE I version of STRUTTER used to be my favorite KISS song, but as soon as I saw this take of 100K yrs it took the prize instantly. Yeah the drum solo isn't much, but it's got a great gut hook to it, his playing is right in the pocket, Ace is fabulous (the whole band is), they're all very young and sending out waves of hyper-aggressive testosterone.. but my favorite aspect outside of the song's journey itself and its epically dark execution is how the band is all for one and one for all. Stanley pumping up Criss' solo, dancing to it, clapping with Ace, light years before all the bickering and the ridiculous critiques of Ace and Peter's playing (I love how Paul can't sing a note these days after leveling all those critiques at the other guys.. what comes around goes around, and why you don't talk that &#!% about bandmates). I've got news for Paul, even in their best days like this, there were no virtuosos in KISS, and while Frehley, whose playing he criticized after the last breakup (to justify the idiotic aping of Frehley and Criss' characters by other players) was worshipped by other players like Dimebag (big signed chest tattoo) for his choices and awesome Kossoff like vibrato, nobody will ever do that about Paul's playing. His singing back in the day, maybe, but not his guitar work.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:09 am

Forgot to put this up (I absolutely LOVE that "smokehouse" burst on the Studio.. I actually like a lot of what I see, I love that they brought back the Firebird Studio/P90 edition) Much is tempting here.. this year MIGHT be a year for a new Gibson--

Advance look at the 2018 Gibson line.
Gibson USA’s 2018 collections of Les Pauls, SGs and more include subtle performance/playability tweaks and some astonishing finishes.

A brand with a pedigree like Gibson's is one to be protected. Their electric guitars, particularly the Les Paul and SG, have exerted a huge influence over all of popular music's forms. Recognizing this, over the last couple of years Gibson has been refocusing on its legacy-generating essential ingredients.

But that's not to say there's been no innovation. While Gibson has been intent on nurturing the qualities that gave its guitars their iconic status, subtle tweaks in some models are clearly aimed at modern players. On select models, sleeker neck profiles, updated pickup switching and other refinements enhance playability and serve up the sounds of modern music.

Also setting the 2018 collection apart are some stunning finishes. Gibson's spray booth artisans have come up with some amazing looks that should have fans salivating.

So let's take a closer look at the entire lineup for 2018:

Gibson USA 2018 Les Paul Line-Up

2018 Les Paul Standard
Captivating new burst finishes exquisitely applied over a AAA maple top should stop LP fans in their tracks. As Gibson's standard bearer, the 2018 Les Paul Standard embodies a well conceived mixture of proven ingredients blended with some updated performance and playability tricks. The latter includes an asymmetrical slim taper neck that, combined with beautifully finished frets, invites serious shredding. Burstbucker Pro Rhythm and Lead pickups deliver classic PAF-like (AKA, "Patent Applied For") sound that can be shaped any way you want thanks to four push-pull knobs that open up whole new kingdoms of tone. Functions include standard coil taps, phase reverse, plus a pure bypass setting that sends the aggressive output direct from the pickups, bypassing both tone and volume knobs. Long sets are made much more shoulder-friendly thanks to an Ultra Modern weight-relieved body.

Gibson 2018 Les Paul Standard

2018 Les Paul Standard HP
Who says an old dog can't be taught new tricks? The 2018 Les Paul Standard HP significantly ups the ante on what you can achieve with an LP both musically and cosmetically. A gloriously figured AAA+ maple top creates an impression of great depth thanks to your choice of masterfully applied fade finishes. Output from the Rhythm Pro and Lead Pro+ humbuckers can be shaped up in nearly any way imaginable. Offering 4 push-pull knobs for significant tonal flexibility using its DIP switch, you can set more than 150 different wiring configurations. This Paul knows no sonic limits. The Ultra Modern weight-relieved body combined with the asymmetrical Slim Taper neck and ribcage-friendly belly scarf all contribute to this exceptionally comfortable instrument. Appointments and hardware are also of the highest caliber and include G-Force tuners plus an adjustable titanium zero-fret nut.

Gibson 2018 Les Paul Standard HP Hot Pink Fade

2018 Les Paul Classic
The Les Paul Classic continues to be the guitar of choice for the LP purist. The 2018 Les Paul Classic offers plenty of heft via a non-weight-relieved body that is matched by a pair of growling P90s that deliver classic old-school grit and texture to your amp's front end. The Slim Taper neck profile and cryogenically treated frets offer new levels of playability. Hand-wired orange drop capacitors help recreate the vintage tone (and vibe) that old-school fans demand.

Gibson 2018 Les Paul Classic Pelham Blue

2018 Les Paul Faded
We were sold the first time we got a glimpse of Gibson's finishes for the 2018 Les Paul Faded. Gibson calls them "spirited." and we wouldn't argue—these are some of the coolest finishes we've seen from Gibson USA. And as with many of its 2018 stablemates, the combination of a Slim Taper neck with Ultra Modern weight relief makes for a very stage-worthy guitar. The 490R and 490T humbuckers bring the necessary trademark throatiness for which LPs are revered. Moderate pricing makes Faded LPs make a sweet choice for the budget-challenged player eager to step up to American craftsmanship.

Gibson 2018 Les Paul Faded

2018 Les Paul Studio
As with the Faded LP, the 2018 Les Paul Studio makes a powerful first impression thanks to an amazing finish on the maple top. Whether you choose the Smokehouse Burst or slightly more traditional Vintage Sunburst, their depth and warmth set them apart. A 57 Classic pickup in the neck and ‘57 Classic Plus in the bridge with coil taps gives you all the firepower and tonal versatility you need to exploit the Studio's native saturation and sustain. The Slim Taper neck and Ultra Modern weight relieved body pay big comfort dividends on long sets and sessions.

Gibson 2018 Les Paul Studio

2018 Les Paul Tribute
The aptly named 2018 Les Paul Tribute pays homage to its heritage with the classic maple-mahogany marriage that gives all Pauls their remarkable sustain and midrange complexity. From its vintage Keystone tuners to the trapezoid inlays and cream pickguard to the non weight-relieved body, the Tribute mirrors its predecessors cosmetically. Addressing the modern player's needs, there's a comfortable Slim Taper neck and a potent combination of 490R and 490T humbuckers for the punch and advanced playability demanded by modern musicians.

Gibson 2018 Les Paul Tribute

2018 Les Paul Traditional
If one instrument can be said to completely capture vintage LP mojo both sonically and cosmetically, the Les Paul Traditional may be it. It's built for the player who loves the heft of the original LP's body and neck and who thirsts for genuine PAF sound. Classic burst finishes are applied over the AA figured maple top then complemented with vintage elements such as gold top hat knobs, cream binding, and locking kidney tuners. The hand-wired pickup circuitry includes orange drop capacitors to wring all the potential out of the Burstbucker 1 and 2 pickup duo.

Gibson 2018 Les Paul Traditional

Explore LP lore with our indispensible Les Paul Buying Guide.

What's New In The Gibson USA 2018 SG Line-up

2018 SG Standard
When the original SG burst on the scene in 1961, it was a disruptor with its modern, bat-shaped profile and ultra-fast neck. Originally positioned as the latest update of the LP whose sales had flattened, rock wizards like The Who's Pete Townshend quickly lent the SG its iconic status. The 2018 SG Standard recaptures the sound of late-era PAF pickups courtesy of 61R and 61T humbuckers. Modern updates include locking tuners and white fingerboard binding that keys in on the traditional trapezoid inlay work.

Gibson 2018 SG Standard

2018 SG Standard HP
What's that? You say you love the SG but you're lusting for performance and playability upgrades? It could just be the 2018 SG Standard HP has your name on it. This is an SG for the non-traditionalist who's looking for maximum sonic and visual impact. The 57 Classic neck humbucker and Super 57 Classic bridge pickup churn out to-die-for tones that go on forever thanks to advanced DIP switch choices and two push-pull volumes. Everything is top shelf from the titanium adjustable zero fret nut to awesomely stable G Force tuners. The AA figured maple cap looks incredible below a palette of fade color options. For 2018 Gibson has added a slight amount of body thickness to improve balance.

Gibson 2018 SG Standard HP

2018 SG Faded
Like a beloved guitar that's seen its fair share of action while also being carefully preserved, the 2018 SG Faded has the burnished look of a veteran. Below its rich Warm Bourbon nitro finish it possesses a pair of tried-and-true humbuckers—a 490R in the neck and a 490T in the bridge route. The Slim Taper neck coupled with the SG's double cut body grant unbridled access to the entire fretboard.

Gibson 2018 SG Faded

2018 SG Special
A pair of Mini Humbucker pickups lend the 2018 SG Special their bright, distinct tone that matches the guitar's simple, streamlined looks. The unbound rosewood fingerboard sits atop a Slim Taper mahogany neck that excels when fleet fretting is needed. The minimalist vibe continues with the teardrop pick guard and block inlay work. The most affordable Gibson USA SG, the Special has all the playability of more costly models.

Gibson 2018 SG Special

Dig deeper into the lore of the SG with our definitive SG Guitar Buying Guide.

Gibson USA 2018 Firebird Line-Up

2018 Firebird
Radical upon its 1963 debut thanks to an offset, futuristic body shape from car designer Ray Dietrich, the latest incarnation, the 2018 Gibson USA Firebird, continues to surprise. Equipped with dual Mini Humbuckers for optimal tonal cut, the Slim Taper through-neck construction results in a guitar with great integrity and sustain that's also a pleasure to play (and behold). The bound and torrefied granadillo fingerboard looks terrific and feels sleek beneath your fingers.

Gibson 2018 Firebird

2018 Firebird Studio
The Firebird Studio differs from its stablemate in two main respects: It's equipped with a pair of nasty-sounding P90s and has a Vintage Sunburst finish. The pickups give it the raw, unbridled single-coil sound so many of us lust after. Deluxe appointments include mini Grover tuners and a black pickguard inscribed with the Firebird image—it looks spectacular against the burst finish.

Gibson 2018 Firebird Studio

Gibson USA 2018 Flying V and Explorer

2018 Flying V
When it was first introduced in 1958, the Flying V was a flop. Maybe it was too far ahead of its time with that then-revolutionary profile. We're not worried about the 2018 Gibson USA Flying V suffering such a fate, however. Since that ill-fated late ‘50s launch, the Flying V has been played by some of the biggest names in rock and blues including Jimi Hendrix, Albert King and Lonnie Mack and it has become pretty much a permanent part of Gibson's lineup. The 2018 edition is armed with a Burstbucker 2 and 3 pickup array that generates healthy gobs of sustain thanks to the through mahogany neck. The torrefied granadillo fingerboard is a shredder's playground.

Gibson 2018 Flying V

2018 Explorer
The Flying V wasn't the only eyebrow raiser from Gibson in 1958. Sharing the limelight was the equally radical-looking Explorer with its asymmetrical body. Adopted by hard-charging rock-blues guitarists such as the late Johnny Winter, the latest incarnation, the 2018 Gibson USA Explorer, is built to take no prisoners. A Burstbucker 2 in the neck and Burstbucker 3 in the bridge position generate enough sonic heat for any modern genre. The set Slim Taper mahogany neck with torrefied granadillo fingerboard is swift and helps generate massive sustain and depth.

Gibson 2018 Explorer

Does anyone know what the Rhythm Pro and Lead Pro+ pups are? They are noted differently than Burstbucker Pros.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:49 am

Musicians Friend playing through the '18 LP line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ2_uIR8yNs

PLaying thru that Smokehouse burst Studio (don't know why those 57's sound so skanky when clean (before he splits them). Either the player or the amp settings, just an unnatural amount of treble/presence. Sounds almost like an all maple guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT8UwyuHyM4
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ilyti
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ilyti » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:31 pm

I was gonna say, I REALLY dig that SG Special and Firebird Studio.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:18 pm

Absolutely! An SG with mini humbuckers is a very cool thing. And I've always loved the P90 loaded Firebirds, and with that dark finish and character (w the black pickguard instead of white), that Studio looks bitchin!!

I just found this cool bunch of rock monsters from this years batch of Gibsons... the bucker loaded round of slab bodied, no maple-top Specials. 490 Series zebra pups, orange drops, etc. This is the true style of Gibson original Special off of which the old CM130/40 was based off of. These things must scream. Best of all, brand new under a thousand, and in very cool colors:

They have some blems under 850, and the new ones just under a grand. Provided they set up well, GREAT deals (at ZZSounds, called-- Gibson Limited Edition Les Paul Special Plus Electric Guitar ):

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:54 am

Another bizarre Gibson idea revealed:

In the 2018 Standard HP LP lineup (the one with no bezels and the four thru-body bolts to raise lower the covered pups), there is a "Heritage Cherry" (unfinished) "Burst."

Me I dunno I just can't.. it's like... furf.

Is there anyone who just like, I dunno... can?

The burst just stops at the bottom third of the body. I don't mind the slick steel tuners & pots, the minimalist vibe of the 3 way, even the lack of bezels. I'm baffled by the four thru bolts, and this burst pattern though. Think this is just trolling for attention the way fashion designers do with oddball models in advertisements and on the runway during fashion week demoing clothing that they know that of course no one will ever wear out on the street, but will surely get captioned on TV and in magazines and get some good publicity generating conversation going..?

Like so?
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

DesmoBob
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby DesmoBob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:30 am

Doctor Turn wrote:The burst just stops at the bottom third of the body.

lolwut? :lol:

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:40 pm

It's truly a "style" my friend. Look at this absurdity:

Not quite as noticeable due to the low contrast between the 2 colors:

and of course:

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Ba ... -2018/227W

But the original version was of course:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Return to Other Gear