Gibson Ready To Unload New Solid Body?

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Gibson Ready To Unload New Solid Body?

Postby Omsong » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:58 pm

Is that called being "ahead of your time" (or "it figures")?
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:44 am

The amazing Greg Koch noodles on what sounds like one of the most unamazing modern Les Paul Standards I ever heard: that new Anaconda Burst Slash guitar, in this case the plain top. I've heard these Slash pups in a few demos before, and while they never drove me to vibrate in my dry goods, I never heard them sound like this before... they sound middling & muddy on the neck pickup especially, and just sound a bit generic.. even in the hands of Greg who is easily among the top couple of working guitarists stalking the planet today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAY_51oeulY

As opposed to the Custombucker glory on display on any of these CC#'s here ..these are wonderful sounding LP's to greater and lesser degrees.. these have that thrusting hypercomplex 3D sound that great LP's always have:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjp3uK5T20Q
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:49 am

Those Custom Shops sound F@*#ing amazing.
If that doesn't showcase the tonal variety of different pieces of wood, then :wall:
I'm going to watch that again. Initially I was really liking 'Nicky', but another listen through, that might change. That's how good they sound......TO ME. Probably just depends on my mood.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:00 am

Well F.... me. I like them all. :lol:
Glad I don't have to make that decision...............NOT GLAD!!!! :wall: :wall: :wall:

Now I'm grumpy. :lol:

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:35 pm

I like the fatter tone from Nicky and Waddy, myself. I go for that midrangey growl all day - the TRES HOMBRES/FANDANGO era Pearly Gates tone is what I'm all about. Gibson's 57 Classic pickups reproduce that sound really well.

So do the M22 series of Carvin pickups, just with about 50% more output. I'll miss them when they're gone. :(

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:47 pm

Now I've seen it all.. a 1300 Les Paul Special gets a paint job in aqua and gold hardware and goes up over two grand in price. NOTHING else is different!

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:48 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Now I've seen it all.. a 1300 Les Paul Special gets a paint job in aqua and gold hardware and goes up over two grand in price. NOTHING else is different!

It's part of their new Custom line, and the Special gets the option of all the classic Firebird finish colors.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:11 am

Anyone ever see this oddity before? It was a limited edition-design made in 2009, called The Eye. I think they made 350:

Obviously based on an SG, with an extended top horn, shrunken bevel.. and a wackadoo/tribalesque pickguard.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:16 am

Humorously enough, it was available for purchase starting April Fool's Day (but announced prior, so it wasn't a prank/joke).

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric ... uitar.aspx

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:33 am

Yeah I saw that page. I think it's an excellent, very successful prank. The one thing I like is that blank ebony neck. Not a fan of that fire engine red, or the pickguard. The shape reminds of a slightly more aggressive HIIN:

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:52 am

Apparently it was the April release of their one-limited-production-model-per-month for 2009:

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Fe ... 9-325.aspx

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:07 pm

Doctor Turn wrote: limited edition-design made in 2009, called The Eye.

Eye eye eye!!!
Aries A6H, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:09 pm

Naked Ape wrote:Those Custom Shops sound F@*#ing amazing.
If that doesn't showcase the tonal variety of different pieces of wood, then :wall:
I'm going to watch that again. Initially I was really liking 'Nicky', but another listen through, that might change. That's how good they sound......TO ME. Probably just depends on my mood.

Most of the stuff that comes out of the gibson custom shop is really good. The regular production instruments can be hit/miss, but they really take things very seriously with the instruments from the custom shop. They seem to pride themselves with those greatly.
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Bob77 wrote:
Naked Ape wrote:Those Custom Shops sound F@*#ing amazing.

Most of the stuff that comes out of the gibson custom shop is really good. The regular production instruments can be hit/miss, but they really take things very seriously with the instruments from the custom shop. They seem to pride themselves with those greatly.

I've got the same impression. Every guitar I've played from the Custom Shop was one I'd be happy to have, whereas the production line guitars have been totally hit or miss. I've played many that I'd be happy to bring home and many that had me scratching my head as to how it made its way past final QC.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:32 am

Agreed on all points. I think they're overpriced, but many of them play and sound superb man. For example, the clip I put up above with Greg Koch playing those Collector's Choice Les Pauls, those things sound just as good, and almost (truly) exactly like Clapton on Beano, or Kossoff, or Joe Walsh playing his 60, or even this tobacco burst Norlin era LP (whose burst scheme and black plastics reminds me exactly of my Northen):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_4iQDYDVNo

Those 3 Collectors Choice models, as everyone has noted, are awesome sounding. They really sound like the legit old school LP. That "twang and spank" that Greg is hunting is the same thing I hunted by going to long scale on LP style builds.. which are not a total substitute for authentic 24.75" single cuts. Those LP's are so authoritative, and the tone right there is all Gibson, 100% their own. It's not "good humbucker," or "good single cut build quality," or anything like that. None of the spinoffs sound quite like that. None of my guitars including my Carvin 150 (a LP knockoff) and my Hagstroms (going in their own direction using the LP platform) don't sound like those guitars, which sound exactly like the Gibson LP heritage of Gibson, which is why they are who they are as a company--for giving us that specific sound. My guitars sound a lot like those guitars, but they don't Sound Just Like Those Guitars. The difference is small, but the difference is still huge if that's the specific sound you want. That's the classic Gibson vintage PAF sound, which is different from all the other Gibson humbucker sounds, including on modern day Standards, Traditionals, Customs, Specials, etc. Not to mention SG, Explorer, V, etc.

It's why when people say "PAF", but really just mean "modern LP stock pickups," I get nitpicky, because the difference is so huge.

You hear those 3 CC guitars and you immediately hear so many classic albums. It's not that they're the clearest pickups, that they're made using super expensive materials in the world.. it's just that they sound so damned cool.

This was what I meant on that other thread when I say that many pro players come back to Gibson guitars after spending years going through the "build quality" replicas and different 3rd party pup makers. Gibson's are pricey and often aren't build with the same unforgiving standards as our beloved Kiesel/Carvin, PRS, Mayones, Knaggs, etc.. but there's a specific sound that isn't quite caught that people keep coming back to (and even Gibson has lost it on a great deal of their instruments, and I guess is why these reissues are priced up thru the ionosphere.. and I guess is why they won't put Custom Buckers on the market on their own as replacement pickups... it leaves those expensively priced R7-0's and the CC's the only way to replicate that vintage tone).
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:54 am

@DannyB819
The biggest inconsistencies I have found is with their Gibson USA ("regular production") solid body electrics. Their custom shop solid body electrics, on the other hand, tend to be above and beyond in all aspects of quality.

Also different story with their semi-hollow/fully hollow, which are all built in the custom shop regardless of model. This makes a big difference in their consistency. For example, currently I have two Gibson guitars; ES 335 and an ES 330 (historic reissue). The ES 335 is at the same level of the ES 330 in all aspects of craftsmanship, though the 330
being a limited run re-issue came with fancy documentation and certificate of authenticity. Point is that both were made at the same custom shop.

Obviously, not all of Gibson's solid body electrics are made at the custom shop, and i believe that's why people see so many inconsistencies.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:22 am

I'd have to slightly disagree there on the semihollows at very least. I've played a lot of 335's over 2015-17 that were just lifeless, unappealing guitars w almost no character. Some of them were, admittedly, store examples that had been played into total grot. But some of them were in fantastic condition and rarely if ever played, and they produced a sound which was just utterly unremarkable. 3-4 grand+ for an utterly undistinguished semihollow that was given a run for its money not only by D'Angelico's and 1000 dollar Gretsch Streamliner/electromatic (not to mention the high end "center block" player's editions of the Falcon and I believe Penguins for 3 grand) but Epiphones hanging a foot away.

And then they would be redeemed by the nice ones which produced that nice warm velvety tone, where the 57 Classics came together w everything else the way it should. But I just needed to mention I've played some jinky 335's from the latest crops... big time jinky.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:05 pm

Speaking of vintage style Gibson ply boxes.. look at this thing on Reverb. 24 Grand:

1959 Switchmaster (ES5) in mint condition with 3 PAFs.
Heaven on earth...
*flump*
(cloud of dust settles on my head) Frank Zappa played on of these early on w the mothers (along with many many other very legendary players)
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:44 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:I'd have to slightly disagree there on the semihollows at very least. I've played a lot of 335's over 2015-17 that were just lifeless, unappealing guitars w almost no character. Some of them were, admittedly, store examples that had been played into total grot. But some of them were in fantastic condition and rarely if ever played, and they produced a sound which was just utterly unremarkable. 3-4 grand+ for an utterly undistinguished semihollow that was given a run for its money not only by D'Angelico's and 1000 dollar Gretsch Streamliner/electromatic (not to mention the high end "center block" player's editions of the Falcon and I believe Penguins for 3 grand) but Epiphones hanging a foot away.

And then they would be redeemed by the nice ones which produced that nice warm velvety tone, where the 57 Classics came together w everything else the way it should. But I just needed to mention I've played some jinky 335's from the latest crops... big time jinky.

I believe you, and I am sure there are crappy semi hollows that come from the gibson custom shop from time to time. I just have not come accross them :mrgreen:

Seriously, my experience has been different. Perhaps being left handed makes a difference because they don't make lefty 335s or any other semi-hollow or fully hollow for that matter in high volumes. Being produced in limited numbers, perhaps they givr better attention to them. Just saying that each lefty semi-hollow or fully hollow gibson I've tried has been fantastic, so I assume all of their right-handed counterparts are the same. It seems that's not the case based on what you said.

BTW...if that CS5 is really authentic...holy crap! That's just too cool. 24 grand is pocket change for a guitar collector.

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:42 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:
1959 Switchmaster (ES5) in mint condition with 3 PAFs.
Heaven on earth...
*flump*
(cloud of dust settles on my head) Frank Zappa played on of these early on w the mothers (along with many many other very legendary players)

My old hero, Steve Howe, played one during the Fragile years.

Steve-Howe-CS5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aries A6H, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

Return to Other Gear