Quick(I hope) pedal question

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Quick(I hope) pedal question

Postby brento73 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:33 pm

Although I've owned a few distortion/overdrive pedals in my life, I spent many years just playing through multi-effects gadgets, either into a recording setup of some sort or a PA system.

These days, although I DO have a Boss GP-10 and a PA system, I spend most of my time just playing through my Blackstar HT 40. I really like the way it sounds, in particular the way the clean channel isn't really clean anymore if you crank up the volume. Of course, there are times I DO want clean, so I end up either riding my volume knob or adjusting the volume on the amp. I don't use the dirty channel as often, but I also end up using my volume knob to roll the drive off.

Here's the question part:

I've played around a little with boost pedals, borrowed from friends, and I find that extra push on the way in can turn the clean into slightly dirty and the dirty from blues to metal quite well. The issue is, especially on the clean channel, that it also gets a good deal louder, which isn't what I'm going for.

Would putting a compressor in the effects loop solve this? Since that would come after the pre-amp stage but before the power, I'm hoping it would normalize the volume so the boost on the clean channel just sounded a little louder and a lot dirtier, instead of a lot of both.

Am I thinking this through correctly?

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Quick(I hope) pedal question

Postby Cynical » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:41 pm

Possibly, but it would also sound bad. Further compressing an overdriven sound will take all of the definition and punch out of your attack.

Why not just toss a volume pedal in the loop, put it near the OD pedal on your board, and hit both at once?

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:46 pm

Or an eq pedal, set flat, but slightly lower.

Cynical
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Cynical » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:47 pm

Also, I'm not familiar with the Blackstar HT-40, but how much does the power section contribute to its overdriven sound? Volume may be something that goes along with it overdriving properly (especially if it's got an EL-34 power section...)

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:57 pm

Hmm.... yeah, I was concerned with how the compression might effect things attack-wise. Good idea on the volume and/or EQ pedals.

As for how the power section effects the sound, I'm sure it would if I ever turned it up past about '1'(master volume, channel volumes are around '7'), but it's not practical because the neighbors would have a fit. We plan on moving this fall, though, so hopefully I can turn it up :)

arahobob
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby arahobob » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:38 pm

Each channel has two voices -
1 - Boutique / Modern
2 -Classic / Modern
There's also that ISF (US / British) knob.
I'm sure something could be dialed in to do what you're looking for.

I use the amp with an OCD pedal to dirty up my clean rhythm channel (levels adjusted to balance out)
The other channel is my lead tone (no boosts /etc)

My guess is you need to change the pedal settings or the pedal itself to better get what you're looking for.
Off to the music store with you!
:mrgreen:
Current Carvins:
2010 Bolt (Candy Red Metallic)
2013 Bolt Plus (Koa)
2016 Black n Blue VSEVEN
2017 TT SCB6

Wish List
Some sort of multiscale 6 HSS with RAD ASH
JB Numbers Guitar (July sale has given me the itch!)

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:03 pm

arahobob wrote:Each channel has two voices -
1 - Boutique / Modern
2 -Classic / Modern
There's also that ISF (US / British) knob.
I'm sure something could be dialed in to do what you're looking for.

I use the amp with an OCD pedal to dirty up my clean rhythm channel (levels adjusted to balance out)
The other channel is my lead tone (no boosts /etc)

My guess is you need to change the pedal settings or the pedal itself to better get what you're looking for.
Off to the music store with you!
:mrgreen:

Well, that's my dilemma: I can get just the sound I'm looking for, but I have to go back to the amp and twiddle the knobs to get the NEXT sound I'm looking for. I leave the clean channel on the 'boutique' setting, and the gain on...'modern', I think. ISF is all the way to the 'British' side. What I'd like is the sound of my clean channel on both 4-ish and 8-ish volume, without actually increasing the volume. Essentially, I want at least one more channel(and can't afford the 'Stage' 60W model right now).

I guess I can try some other pedals, but without testing them with my guitar and amp, it's hard to know what is going to work the way I want it to.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:15 pm

Maybe I just need one of these:

https://www.blackstaramps.com/uk/produc ... ne-104el34

That way I have all the channels I could need :)

DannyB819
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby DannyB819 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:04 pm

I may be wrong, but it sounds like you want to get a clean and pushed clean sound at the same volume from one channel of an amp. That shouldn't be too hard - without knowing what type of music you're playing, I'd recommend any one of these pedals:

AC Booster (Xotic)
RC Booster (Xotic)
BB Premap (Xotic)
Blues Driver (Boss)
Any good Klon clone
Any good Tube Screamer or clone

It'll take some tweaking in managing the treble response with the gain and volume controls to match the distorted volume with the clean volume, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Return to Other Gear