Gibson Woes...

Discussion About Other Gear Brands

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Gibson Woes...

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Gibson said to be falling apart and treating artists like s#&@

You gotta read this article.

Also, heads rolling in marketing department because LP with a cracked headstock made it into final marketing materials, unnoticed.

A guy on FB connected to the backstory on this writes,

I know the story behind this; Gibson sent the entire range to be photographed and 2 guitars got damaged in transit. They didn't have any other Traditionals in Tobacco burst because the production run hadn't began and it's a new color for 2018, so they actually had to glue the damaged one back together and photograph it as seen.

No one realised that the break was visible in the pic until someone pointed it out to them. I'm sure Henry fired someone over it, he usually does.

Everyone's calling it Truth In Advertising, 2018.

They can't even ship to themselves without the headstocks cracking, lol.

It's actually very sad. Sadder that they have to charge insane prices to try and survive.
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: Gibson Woes...

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:27 pm

I just got a Gibson-era Kramer Vanguard off auctions. Looked too cool, but it IS indonesian. I'm concerned for the QC but we'll see. I can't even find any info on the vanguards besides the vintage ones either.
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RGR580x2 (Pearl white, Deep Wine)
RG5000
RG750VP
1996 Ibanez Blazer reissue

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
JB200C the Purple demon of Nagoya
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:57 pm

I have nothing against Gibson since I've never really played one. The 20 year old Epiphone Les Paul my older brother has sounds great.

However, Gibson doesn't really make a guitar I am interested in owning. Les Pauls, SGs, Explorers, Flying Vs and so on just do not look like comfortable or practical guitars. I also don't like 3 + 3 headstocks and single cuts. I'm not sure who thought the Explorer or V was a good shape, either.

A guitar with a crack in it making it past final inspection should never happen, though. Someone should be fired for that.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:48 am

So per my last comment about the Vanguard, I have to hand it to Gibson and their Epiphone plant. That guitar plays REALLY good and the pickups are REALLY nice. Surprised how much I like a cheapy Indonesian Gibson-made Kramer.
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RG5000
RG750VP

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:54 am

2Plus2isChicken wrote: I'm not sure who thought the Explorer or V was a good shape, either.

That would be me, when it comes to the Explorer.
I have plenty of different shaped guitars, and nothing beats the Explorer for Balance and comfort. Especially when sitting down to play.

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:15 am

Naked Ape wrote:
2Plus2isChicken wrote: I'm not sure who thought the Explorer or V was a good shape, either.

That would be me, when it comes to the Explorer.
I have plenty of different shaped guitars, and nothing beats the Explorer for Balance and comfort. Especially when sitting down to play.

The break at the strings causes massive tuning instability but the Explorer shape is awesome, I agree.
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RG5000
RG750VP

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

mangdrew
Gold Member
Gold Member
Links/Contact:

Postby mangdrew » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:25 am

Man, my three Gibsons are fine. 2017 LP classic, Explorer and 2015 LP special are all great. Sure they needed tweaking and some setup to my taste, but fit and finish were fine. I'd rather have Kiesels SS frets........but......

And explorers are waaaay more comfortable than you'd think.

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:46 am

mangdrew wrote:Man, my three Gibsons are fine. 2017 LP classic, Explorer and 2015 LP special are all great. Sure they needed tweaking and some setup to my taste, but fit and finish were fine. I'd rather have Kiesels SS frets........but......

And explorers are waaaay more comfortable than you'd think.

Jeff's reluctance to make an Explorer shape is just so stupid. That thing would sell if you added a forearm cut to the upper horn, not an extreme thing like an aries but just a basic arm cut. Something like ESP's Arrow model. That would make it so much easier to play. That actually is one of my gripes about the V220 is the lack of a forearm cut. I think it could be a good "change" to an already great model.
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RG5000
RG750VP

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:14 am

Agreed on the Explorer shape - My late Ibanez Destroyer was the only flattopped guitar I've ever really liked playing, and it was equally good sitting or standing. The lower bout was actually quite comfortable as an arm rest.

Here's something about the Flying V shape most people don't seem to realize: you're supposed to play it "Spanish style," at about a 45-degree angle. This is easily accomplished when seated by putting your knee in the notch of the V.

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:18 am

Casual Madman wrote:Agreed on the Explorer shape - My late Ibanez Destroyer was the only flattopped guitar I've ever really liked playing, and it was equally good sitting or standing. The lower bout was actually quite comfortable as an arm rest.

Here's something about the Flying V shape most people don't seem to realize: you're supposed to play it "Spanish style," at about a 45-degree angle. This is easily accomplished when seated by putting your knee in the notch of the V.

I love Vs. I didnt like them in the beginning when I first tried em, but my E-II changed me a LOT. Love Vs now :)
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RG5000
RG750VP

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer:
Vanguard (Indonesian)

Amp:
Yamaha THR10

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:25 am

I love traditional V's, and I love my Les Paul Special. It's just the current management and their decision making that make me get the hives. Most of everything I love, including the new Viking that's coming in, are based on the brilliant luthiery of Gibson.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Bob77
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Bob77 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:01 am

I will say, NOTHING beats the sound and feel of my 335. It is my favorite guitar.

Some of their guitar models I could live without. But Les Pauls are truly great instruments. You just have to play several until you find the "one" and have it set up to your specs.

As I've said many times before...that company will have followers for an eternity no matter what. There's just too much music history associated with the brand.
Carvin guitars: AC375, Cobalt 250, Bolt-T.
Carvin amps: Legacy I w/Mesa 2X12 Rectifier speaker cab, AG100D.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:10 am

I absolutely LOVE a good Les Paul. Until I got my CS6 my #1 was my Gibson. I also have two Epiphones that play great.
Almost every guitar I own is a variation of a Les Paul. LOVELOVELOVE!

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:27 pm

Doctor Doug wrote:Almost every guitar I own is a variation of a Les Paul. LOVELOVELOVE!

I'm with you. For a good many of us, that configuration - single cut, carved top, double hums, weighty, set neck, shorter scale - just feels right.

I'm a big old boy - 6' 3", big hands, long spatulate fingers - so you'd think a longer scale, larger bodied axe would fit me better.

Nope. Not generally. I did bond well with my the late, lamented Destroyer (shorter scale, but bigger body) - but no other flattop has ever suited me. Including, sadly, my ST300.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:18 am

Casual Madman wrote:
Doctor Doug wrote:Almost every guitar I own is a variation of a Les Paul. LOVELOVELOVE!

I'm with you. For a good many of us, that configuration - single cut, carved top, double hums, weighty, set neck, shorter scale - just feels right.

I'm a big old boy - 6' 3", big hands, long spatulate fingers - so you'd think a longer scale, larger bodied axe would fit me better.

Nope. Not generally. I did bond well with my the late, lamented Destroyer (shorter scale, but bigger body) - but no other flattop has ever suited me. Including, sadly, my ST300.

Me too. I'm about 6'4" -ish and have really long fingers. I'm skinny as hell though.

Naked Ape
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Naked Ape » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:52 am

Doctor Doug wrote: I'm skinny as hell though.

I had an expressionless face, until I read this line.... Made me laugh. :lol: I get a funny cartoonish visual with that.
Thanks

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Casual Madman wrote:

Ever play a slab Les Paul style axe, ie same build style just without the carved top,? Or are you partial to having a maple cap on there too? I've always had them both ways, but I do tend to notice that the slab bodies tend to sing louder. They seem to have a fuller set of lungs. Probably no coincidence that Les himself preferred just a slab of mahogany with no maple cap...

But there is definite wisdom in this thread. Just took in my 4th 24.75 scale/PAF style humbucker guitar this week. And my two 25.5 scale axes... Are thick slab single cuts with buckers and PAFS. :lol:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Casual Madman
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Casual Madman » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:
Casual Madman wrote:

Ever play a slab Les Paul style axe, ie same build style just without the carved top,?

Never cared for the Junior/Special. Had the same problem with my 1982 DC150 - never cared for the flat top. Might be 'cause my first two, cheaper guitars, were flatties.

(These are examples, not the actual guitars but all are close)

Friend got at a pawnshop for $30 in 1975, my Dad bought it from him:
kazoo.jpg

When it was clear I was serious and had a little talent, he bought me one of these (was about $180 as I recall):
sgcopy.jpg

With my first summer job, I got That Damned Guitar. Never shoulda let her go. $535.00
75lpc.jpg

That Les Paul had "it." I was hooked, and even though it took me 37 years, I finally got another one - that might be even better. $1600 new at the DGIF this May.
maryjane.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:00 pm

Was that a coil split you had on that Seventies Custom?

What's nice about that Norlin Custom is that it escaped the dread Clown Burst Syndrome that afflicted so many bursts from that era. Yours had a nice gradual gradient, which is how it should be.

Just for the record, it wasn't just the Specials and the Juniors that were flat top slabs of mahogany. Les' own Recording series was mahogany without a maple top:

"Les Pauls favorite guitar". It's a cute little article from Gibson, Les' sensibility of trying to extract as many sounds as possible informed the sensibility of so much of guitar building in the seventies and Eighties, even, obviously, Carvin with their stereo (like the ES) models with all the switching.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

MatiasTolkki
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby MatiasTolkki » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:39 am

Maybe Brian May took some ideas from Les? Having a phase out switch like that (Brian's Red Special has individual phase out switches for each pup) just seems like Brian may have heard of this guitar, or maybe Les saw the Red Special and took ideas from that? Dunno but it seems pretty cool.
The arsenal:
Ibanez
RG5000
RG750VP

ESP:
E-II SV

Carvin/Kiesel:
V220C Kabocha (pumpkin)

Kramer: