New Fusion Improv Videos

Share music you've made with your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars gear.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Bill G Degillio

New Fusion Improv Videos

Postby Bill G Degillio » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:57 pm

I’ve just added 2 new videos to my YouTube channel, Bill G Degillio Music. If you’re a fan of fusion guitar, please check them out. Unlike my previous videos, I used the Scuffham S-Gear Amp Plug-in instead of a Boogie preamp. Thanks in advance for watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSRnyrZfIgc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyIu_nGtGDA
DC-135 Koa

YouTube-Bill G Degillio Music
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: New Fusion Improv Videos

Postby Omsong » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:21 pm

Great playing, Bill, very tasteful and imaginative!

What is your rig rundown?
Kiesel
. Fatboy '17 Deep Lava Flame
Past Tense
. Fatboy '02 Cherry Sunburst Flame
. CT6M '04 (apx.) Deep Tigers Eye Quilt
. Fatboy '07 Clario Walnut
. Bolt+ '11 Deep Orange Flame

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:32 pm

Very catchy! Thanks for sharing!! Not my typical jam, but already listened to both all the way through and the first one twice. :) Great job!

Bill G Degillio

Postby Bill G Degillio » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:49 pm

Thank you Omsong! I'm just using my Carvin DC135 into a MOTU Z-Box (which simulates the high impedance of a guitar amp input) then into my MOTU UltraLite Mk3 audio interface. I record into Digital Performer 9.51 using just the Scuffham S-Gear Virtual Amp Plug-in. In my previous videos, I used the same guitar into a Mesa Boogie Formula preamp, which has a speaker simulator built in. I've tried NI Guitar Rig, which is more versatile than S-Gear, but the amp simulation is not as not as natural sounding. Since I live in an apartment, cranking up a loud amp is not an option. Other players have gotten great results using a real amp into a load box then into speaker IR software, which I may try at some point in the future.
DC-135 Koa

Bill G Degillio

Postby Bill G Degillio » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks spudmonkey! That's nice of you to say.
DC-135 Koa

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:16 pm

Bill G Degillio wrote:Thank you Omsong! I'm just using my Carvin DC135 into a MOTU Z-Box (which simulates the high impedance of a guitar amp input) then into my MOTU UltraLite Mk3 audio interface. I record into Digital Performer 9.51 using just the Scuffham S-Gear Virtual Amp Plug-in. In my previous videos, I used the same guitar into a Mesa Boogie Formula preamp, which has a speaker simulator built in. I've tried NI Guitar Rig, which is more versatile than S-Gear, but the amp simulation is not as not as natural sounding. Since I live in an apartment, cranking up a loud amp is not an option. Other players have gotten great results using a real amp into a load box then into speaker IR software, which I may try at some point in the future.

Thanks, Bill, for that info. Your amp-less setup sure gives you a good tone. I've been thinking of going that route by getting an Audient iD14 and going direct from my pedal board into it's DI input. What do you use to monitor your live signal? Do you use the monitor/headphone output on the MOTU Z,( which, if I understand how these things work, would be pre-amp and cab sim) or do you use your computer audio out into some good speakers/headphones? Does the inherent latency with this kind of system affect your playing?
Kiesel
Past Tense

Bill G Degillio

Postby Bill G Degillio » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:38 pm

Actually, the MOTU Z-Box is just a passive impedance converter which plugs into the audio interface. All the processing is done in the computer by the S-Gear plug-in. I monitor the output of the MOTU UltraLite through a Presonus Central Station Monitor controller, which feeds my main recording monitors, the Dynaudio BM5A's. I use a pair of Grado SR225 headphones if there are live mikes in the room or if I'm doing some late-night listening (I plug those into the Central Station). In Digital Performer, I set the buffer to 128, which feels very natural to me and I don't sense any latency. (I tried many amp simulator apps on my iPad, but none of them feel natural to me due to the latency.) I hope this answers your questions. If I have left anything out, let me know.
DC-135 Koa

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:37 pm

Bill G Degillio wrote:Actually, the MOTU Z-Box is just a passive impedance converter which plugs into the audio interface. All the processing is done in the computer by the S-Gear plug-in. I monitor the output of the MOTU UltraLite through a Presonus Central Station Monitor controller, which feeds my main recording monitors, the Dynaudio BM5A's. I use a pair of Grado SR225 headphones if there are live mikes in the room or if I'm doing some late-night listening (I plug those into the Central Station). In Digital Performer, I set the buffer to 128, which feels very natural to me and I don't sense any latency. (I tried many amp simulator apps on my iPad, but none of them feel natural to me due to the latency.) I hope this answers your questions. If I have left anything out, let me know.

I'm still trying to visualize how all this hardware fits together, Bill, and what I would needed for my own, modest (amateur) system.

So, simplified, you are running your guitar into the MOTU Z DI box which then connects to the MOTU UltraLite. The UltraLite converts the guitar signal to digital (up to 24bit/ 192KHz sampling rate). It's digital output is then connected to your computer via USB or Firewire. Question - is the Central Station connected to the UltraLite's or your PC's audio output? The Central Station then powers your monitors and headphones. I see that the UltraLite includes some built in effects. It seems, however, that Digital Performer is applying the amp and speaker modeling on the computer side and not in the Ultralite. Is that correct?

I've been wondering if the D/A converters in a typical PC are high enough quality to give pro quality audio conversion. Is that true, or should one you use a PC with a high performance audio card? Thinking about it, I guess it's not necessary as many use MACs which are closed systems.

Thanks for answering my questions!
Kiesel
Past Tense

Bill G Degillio

Postby Bill G Degillio » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:04 am

The Central Station is connected to the output of the UltraLite. And you're right, Digital Performer is applying the amp and speaker modeling in the computer. The UltraLite does contain a few basic effects like reverb, but they are mainly used only for monitoring when recording. For example, if I record a singer in my home studio, they usually like to hear some kind of reverb on their voice in the headphones while recording. That reverb will not end up on the final mix however, because I will use a reverb plug-in on the computer which will sound 10 times better.

You CAN use your computers' audio output, but my understanding is that an external audio interface will provide MUCH better audio quality. As you have probably seen, external USB audio interfaces cost anywhere from $40 (for a simple Behringer 2-in 2-out system) to many thousands of dollars (for many more inputs and outputs and state-of-the-art converters). Since I'm a Mac guy, I don't know if there are any pro-quality internal "sound cards" available anymore. Since so many musicians and home (and pro!) studios are using laptop computers for recording, external audio interfaces have become the norm. (I have a Mac Mini.)

I hope I've answered your questions here; I know, this recording stuff can be quite intimidating at first, but most people start small, and as their skills grow, will have a better idea in time what will work for their needs and budget.

All the best!
DC-135 Koa

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:26 pm

Thanks, Bill, for your detailed explanation. I guess it is also possible to capture a live digital output stream from the DAW and route it to a high performance D/A converter system (depending on how much money one has available to invest!).

I would think it preferred, in an amp-less situation and from the artists point of view, if he/she could monitor their live tone after amp and cab simulation is applied. However, (since I have not yet experienced it) I don't know if latency would be problem when monitoring after simulation is applied with DAW plug-ins. I suspect that it might be better (less latency issues) to either use amp and cab simulator pedals, or (and no longer amp-less) to mic a live amp or to use an amp's line out. In those cases monitoring the output of the Audio Interface would probably be sufficient.

I guess discovering which method works best is part of the fun of "hands-on" learning all about instrument recording in the digital domain!
Kiesel
Past Tense

ElfDude

Postby ElfDude » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:32 am

Dang... someone else who really knows how to play.
Thus putting me to shame.

Excellent stuff! :applause:
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on FaceBook
My YouTube Channel

Bill G Degillio

Postby Bill G Degillio » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:41 am

Omsong wrote:Thanks, Bill, for your detailed explanation. I guess it is also possible to capture a live digital output stream from the DAW and route it to a high performance D/A converter system (depending on how much money one has available to invest!).

I would think it preferred, in an amp-less situation and from the artists point of view, if he/she could monitor their live tone after amp and cab simulation is applied. However, (since I have not yet experienced it) I don't know if latency would be problem when monitoring after simulation is applied with DAW plug-ins. I suspect that it might be better (less latency issues) to either use amp and cab simulator pedals, or (and no longer amp-less) to mic a live amp or to use an amp's line out. In those cases monitoring the output of the Audio Interface would probably be sufficient.

I guess discovering which method works best is part of the fun of "hands-on" learning all about instrument recording in the digital domain!

You're right, Omsong, it is best to monitor your sound after the amp and cab simulation. However, latency can be an issue depending on many factors; your computer, the host software and its buffer settings, your interface and the plugin. Keep in mind that latency exists wether you use a plugin or not. Just monitoring your straight guitar sound through the computer may produce enough latency to bother some players. There are two ways to get around this; one, as you suggested, listen to the output of a live amp as you record, or two, use an audio interface that has a feature that allows you to monitor the input signal directly, bypassing the computer.

I hope this info helps, and I wish you all the best in your recording journey. Don't forget that, just like playing the guitar, recording and production require a certain amount of both knowledge and "chops", and these things take a while to learn. Hang in there!
DC-135 Koa

Bill G Degillio

Postby Bill G Degillio » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:50 am

ElfDude wrote:Dang... someone else who really knows how to play.
Thus putting me to shame.

Excellent stuff! :applause:

Thank you for the comlements ElfDude! As Ray Charles often says, "Don't worry, it's only music!"
DC-135 Koa

Bill G Degillio

Postby Bill G Degillio » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:49 pm

I seem to be in a video-making mood recently, so I've added 2 instructional videos to my Channel. One discusses a different angle on Sweep Picking, and the other demonstrates some exercises to improve your phrasing and clarify your melodic ideas. Please feel free to comment on the clarity of my explanations, as well as the helpfulness of the demonstrations. Thanks in advance for checking them out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0Fgs3O5f-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-oHD-o1JK8
DC-135 Koa

Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Omsong » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:23 pm

Bill, I really find your instruction videos helpful. Your teaching style is very clear, and you do a great job of covering the finer details. I've recently been working on sweep picking and find it really challenging. Your video has given me some valuable tips to help my practice.

Regarding your phrasing tutorial, it seems that many modern players can play at warp drive, but their phrasing lacks depth and emotion. It's more like they're simply stringing together "stock" runs that they're playing in automatic mode (subconsciously from muscle memory). I am certainly impressed with their speed and accuracy but, as you expressed, I'd much rather listen to someone who is musically communicating from their hearts. Fast and expressive - now, that is inspiring. :)

I am wondering what your musical background is - have you played professionally? It certainly sounds like it.
Kiesel
Past Tense

Bill G Degillio

Postby Bill G Degillio » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:03 am

Omsong wrote:Bill, I really find your instruction videos helpful. Your teaching style is very clear, and you do a great job of covering the finer details. I've recently been working on sweep picking and find it really challenging. Your video has given me some valuable tips to help my practice.

Regarding your phrasing tutorial, it seems that many modern players can play at warp drive, but their phrasing lacks depth and emotion. It's more like they're simply stringing together "stock" runs that they're playing in automatic mode (subconsciously from muscle memory). I am certainly impressed with their speed and accuracy but, as you expressed, I'd much rather listen to someone who is musically communicating from their hearts. Fast and expressive - now, that is inspiring. :)

I am wondering what your musical background is - have you played professionally? It certainly sounds like it.

Thank you, Omsong. I'm glad to hear the videos are of some help. I see that Frank Gambale has released an updated version of his sweep picking materials, so he may have already addressed the issues I raised in my video.

You're right in that there are quite a few technically amazing guitarists out there now, and that some of them rely on "licks" that are strung together instead of improvised. Of course there's nothing inherently wrong with that- if that's what their fans want to hear, they should give it to them. Others, however, like to hear a player communicating in real time, and, if live players are involved, reacting musically to their "in the moment" comping and support.

In a nutshell, I have played professionally; I played in cover/wedding bands for many years (as well as some jazz gigs), I've taught guitar at the college level and I have a Master's in Studio Jazz Guitar from USC. I was fortunate to have some great private teachers along the way; I feel they helped me greatly along my musical path.
DC-135 Koa

Return to Share Your Kiesel Guitars Made Music