Another original

Share music you've made with your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars gear.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

FastRedPonyCar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Another original

Postby FastRedPonyCar » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:44 am

This one gets DOWN.

www.drewlankford.com/music/sleeplessnight1.mp3

Get your neck braces handy cause you might get whiplash bobbing to this.

rlm
Carvinite
Carvinite

re: Another original

Postby rlm » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:02 pm

oh yeah! Made want to go jam awhile.Also inspires me to split up some firewood.heavy chops get it done,gooder :mrgreen: Sounds great :applause: :rockon:

jca78
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby jca78 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:49 pm

i hate chopping wood. good thing it hasnt been too cold here. great work, makes me want to practice more!!!

Part-Time

Postby Part-Time » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:02 pm

Man very cool. You keep blowing me away. Sounds kind of like a mix between Zakk Wylde and Early Vai. But more Groove than those two.

FastRedPonyCar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FastRedPonyCar » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:55 am

Thanks man. I did a little re-eq'ing per the request of a few guys on other forums to make it a little less bright.

www.drewlankford.com/music/SleeplessNight_Mix2.mp3

I tweaked the bass a little also.

I may end up re-working the drums in the break down before the solo. Our other guitarist has been drumming for 12 years and thinks it would be cooler to ultra simplfy that part to possibly just snare hits to mimic the strum of the guitars. We both want to keep the disco beat as I think it's ridiculously cool but the drums before that might be just snares (sort of like how the very last bar of the song is just snare hits)

And per some other requests, just the guitar tracks (the last minute of the song) Shows how the guitars are layered. There's about 3 different separate parts I played and when they're layered together they all sort of mesh with each other to get this big wall of sound.

www.drewlankford.com/music/sleeplessnig ... orbass.mp3

FastRedPonyCar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FastRedPonyCar » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:57 pm

Revised with changes as the band has all had their say so with changes, etc.

Changed 2nd half of each verse's chord progression
removed guitars in 1st half of verses
no drums/bass at the beginning
added chinas in the 2nd measaure of the disco drum beat

that's all the major changes

I also re-mixed to try and darken the overall mix up as I was told it was too bright by follks on another forum :oops:

www.drewlankford.com/music/sleepless1.mp3

Drizzt
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Drizzt » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:13 am

Nice, but the drums sounds a little artificial to me, expecially the drums fills...I liked the wah solo, good job.

FastRedPonyCar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: re: Another original

Postby FastRedPonyCar » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:07 am

Drizzt wrote:Nice, but the drums sounds a little artificial to me, expecially the drums fills...I liked the wah solo, good job.

haha it's becuase they are artificial. I use EZdrummer for my drums and really don't go into much customization with them (ie separating each mic to it's own track and doing work on each track the way you would in a real studio).

I build these for practice tracks for our band to learn songs. Real drums will happen in the real studio. 8)

bkkornaker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby bkkornaker » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:23 pm

too bright!! too bright!!!

i had to turn it off after 10-15 seconds. that mix is way too bright.

(but my head was a' bobin' though!)

charvaxe
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby charvaxe » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:09 pm

Very cool man :applause:

FastRedPonyCar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: re: Another original

Postby FastRedPonyCar » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:40 am

bkkornaker wrote:too bright!! too bright!!!

i had to turn it off after 10-15 seconds. that mix is way too bright.

(but my head was a' bobin' though!)

Still? Did you listen to the first one or 2nd one?

If the 2nd one is too bright...geezz...

I guess the good news is that with any luck, there should be a pair of Adam A7's on my desk by the end of next week. :mrgreen: We'll see how the mixes sound THEN!

phalanges
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby phalanges » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:56 pm

Opens rather abruptly, doesn't it? Good heavy riffs, solid percussion and bass. Scorching leads around 2:20, great work there. Good mix otherwise too. Sounds ready for lyrics/vox. Where's Ronny Dio when you need him?

FastRedPonyCar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FastRedPonyCar » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:30 pm

we've been working on this one at practice and it's UNREAL. our singer and me worked on it at my house as far as the vocals go and we worked on changing the entire cadence of the vocals the last chorus. since there's 2 choruses back to back, he's singing the first one normal and the 2nd one he kicks it up and it works really well.

I can't wait to get on stage and play this one.

NCdan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby NCdan » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:31 pm

Too bright? There isn't too much treble. Maybe the guitars have too many high mids (900-2500). I do have to say that the rhythm guitars are really quiet compared to the lead. The hi hat is too loud on the section starting at 2:02. Maybe most of the complaints on this song are because you're EQing more like a punk mix and not like a hardcore or metal mix. Do you have distortion on the bass? I can still hear the bass a little bit, even if you do; haha, I'm not a fan of a distorted bass, but whatever floats your boat. The snare is really cutting this time, but the bass seems stuck in the subs a bit (there isn't any attack to it, and it sounds like it's tuned a bit high maybe). This is really a nice mix overall. It seems that you're getting better at editing drums and cymbals as well as the bass guitar.

FastRedPonyCar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FastRedPonyCar » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:50 pm

thanks dan, no there's no overdrive on the bass...it's just a $150 bass...that's all :lol:

I've figured out the drum separating the actual mics and working a little on them as individual mics. The waves SSL plugin pack comes with the chris lord alge presets and his presets for the drums are pretty nice. relatively no tweaking needed.

on top of that since I've got the ability now to work with the top snare mic, lower snare mic, kick, overhead, etc, I'm using drumagog to insert the andy sneap snare, tom and kick samples.

It's totally transformed the drums but also completely turned the drum mix upside down and I'm having to re-learn how to mix them all. But the good news is that now that I'm using superior drummer in conjunction with ezdrummer to build the drums, I can add gating, eq, limiting, compression, etc for each individual drum mic so now I can actually go in and get nitty gritty with the individual components of the kit. I've got no idea where to start on any of that.

my adam A7's should be showing up (hopefully) this week so I'll get to hear if there's any glaring problems with the mix as a whole but this new song I'm working on is the first one that I've actually done all the in-depth drum editing (this recording mix was just the basic drums) but the new one is already, in my opinion much better than this one simply due to the fact that the drums just sound so much cleaner.

I'll post the new one up this weekend sometime.

NCdan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby NCdan » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:39 pm

it's just a $150 bass...that's all

That's more than the bass I'm using costs, haha. Are you going direct with the bass, micing an amp, or going direct from the amp? I finally decided that the engineers who said going direct with bass is best. :mrgreen: Running into one or more compression/limiting channels helps a lot with the bass. Using compression/limiting on the kick helps a lot too with bringing up the kick level without going into the red. My only advice with drums is high pass, low pass, and panning. Snares don't seem to need a lot of EQ (go figure), but the kick and toms love it. Try to give each piece of the drum kit its own EQ space, just like you would with a bass, two guitars, and vox. Have fun editing. :wink:

FastRedPonyCar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FastRedPonyCar » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:39 am

bass goes straight into my preamp then to the pc. I record basically two mono signals and I use the waves GTR 3.0 plugin and assign each of those tracks a different bass simulated amp/cab/mic/etc so they don't sound like 2 mono signals.

http://www.wavesgtr.com/html/product_gtr3_bass.html

About to post up the new tune. I feel it's ok enough to throw it to the wolves hahah and get some feedback. I sent it to my drummer last night also so hopefully he can listen to the drums (which is mainly what I'm looking for feeback for) and tell me from his perspective what he thinks needs to be fixed or changed with the way the drums are mixed and not so much how they're structured in the song.

FastRedPonyCar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby FastRedPonyCar » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:19 pm

Remixed messing with drums and sampling

www.drewlankford.com/music/sleepless2.mp3

NCdan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby NCdan » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:50 pm

and assign each of those tracks a different bass simulated amp/cab/mic/etc so they don't sound like 2 mono signals.

So you're saying that you have two tracks for bass? It sounds like your AREN'T combining the two mono signals into one mono signal. Doing this with guitar might sound good (although, as you know, it's no substitute for multiple takes), but with bass it just clutters up the mix and takes away from the punch. Most engineers will say that using one FINAL bass track (combine as many signals into that one track as you wish) panned -10 to +10 is your best bet. Maybe you are combining them?

Well, the bass is definitely louder on the new track, but maybe to the point of taking away the kick's thunder. It just sounds really bright and a bit rubbery. How high are you low passing on that bass? Try 3,000 to 4,000. Maybe it's just the digital simulation? If you haven't tried just going direct with the bass and then applying some limiting/comrpession and then EQ, it's worth a go. I think the overall mix is better though.

Return to Share Your Kiesel Guitars Made Music