Carvin DC127 and Ae185 in action (VIDEO)

Share music you've made with your Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars gear.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Mr. Toad

Carvin DC127 and Ae185 in action (VIDEO)

Postby Mr. Toad » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:37 pm

Hey everyone! My band played a show a couple weeks back and I just uploaded the video in case anyone here is interested. I play a maple DC127 (2015) and the other guitarist plays a Koa/Mahogany AE185 (2005). We do all kinds of styles from Prog to country to jam band stuff. Thanks for listening!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO9Rwk0dnuM

GuitFiddle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: Carvin DC127 and Ae185 in action (VIDEO)

Postby GuitFiddle » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:35 am

Excellent! Now that was a smorgasbord of different stylings and flavors, all very tight and well done. And apparently you can play the bass too. 8) Did you mix straight from the board? Your primary lead tone is just killer! Almost EJ or Holdsworth-ish. Mind sharing what you're using for your tones? I see what I think is an Ashdown back there, but wasn't sure if that was yours or the bassist's.
American guitars
British Amps (mostly)
What more do you need?

Mr. Toad

Postby Mr. Toad » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:14 pm

GuitFiddle wrote:Excellent! Now that was a smorgasbord of different stylings and flavors, all very tight and well done. And apparently you can play the bass too. 8) Did you mix straight from the board? Your primary lead tone is just killer! Almost EJ or Holdsworth-ish. Mind sharing what you're using for your tones? I see what I think is an Ashdown back there, but wasn't sure if that was yours or the bassist's.

Thanks GuitFiddle! I play bass when our bass player moves to steel guitar. I love Eric Johnson's tone and Allan Holdsworth is one of my biggest inspirations! I would say Frank Zappa is my primary guitar/composing inspiration as well.

The sound is actually the result of three of our individual handheld ZOOM recorders: one in the back for a room sound and two on either side of the stage. We've found that you get decent isolation with this setup.

My rig consists of the DC127 (s22 pickups), two tubescreamers (one on full and one on light overdrive), Barber tonepress compressor, (plus some Boss delays, couple other effects) going into a Fender Twin 65 reissue. The Ashdown belongs to the following band. A lot of my gear choices were inspired by our other guitarist, Jordan. I love the DC 127, I feel like I can get a good mix of Les Paul tones and Strat tones.

Thanks for listening!

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:52 am

Mr. Toad wrote: I would say Frank Zappa is my primary guitar/composing inspiration as well.

I watched some of the first song and I noticed the FZ influence right away, primarily through the humorous qualities of the playing and some of the dissonance. Huge FZ fan here.

I wonder if (as opposed to the S22's) you ever played the M22 pickups before? Frank loved them:

On the burned Hendrix Strat:

On his Les Paul Custom (w an Armstrong at the neck.. and if anyone can simulate or explain what it going on with Franks left hand in this shot they should win a bonus prize):

They're NOT, as ill-informed forums like to suggest, "metal pickups." I spoke w one guy on YT who thought the "M" in M22 meant "Metal." They're simply PAF types, designed in late 70's, tuned for less mud and better articulation. Neck pups are PAF-ish mid7-8k. The bridges are ones with the output bump, usually running 12-14k. M22SD will sound exactly like that Shut Up & PLay Yer Guitar sound, esp when biamped w a clean signal blended in (not to mention triamped, like Frank did).
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:57 am

I just found this ad for the first time, where he's promoting not just the amp, but the pickups as well--so cool!

"I'm pleased to have discovered the Carvin guitar amps (X100B) which I now use as part of my set up... Carvin pickups have been installed in several of my guitars and the sounds that I am getting from my instruments and amp setups now is, I believe, the best I've been able to achieve in a live performance situation."

It looks like they may have created this ad during the current reissue period? OR it existed back in the early 80's, and for the modern era they digitized it, added in the reissue superimposition with the modern logo down at the bottom, etc.

Once upon a time, guys like Zappa and Alex Lifeson publicly drew people to try out Carvin.

Today it's Terreberry (the former I don't mind much or at all actually) and Jared Dines. MAN has the business of making music and musical instruments changed. A LOT.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Mr. Toad

Postby Mr. Toad » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:50 pm

Awesome! I knew FZ loved Carvin amps (I believe he used Carvins for clean tones and Marshalls for his dirty tones) but I didn't know about the pickups. I'll have to check out the M22. I find the S22 similar to Seymour Duncan 59s which I've got in my Les Paul. I love the Shut Up and PLay Yer Guitar album and the tones on those solos. Also am intrigued by the idea of biamping, though I don't love the idea of hauling another amp. I think Holdsworth biamps as well, and uses an expression pedal to blend clean and distorted tones.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:12 am

On the 88 tour I'm pretty sure I recall he was only using the X amp. He wasn't using the SG and he wasn't going for that super complex triamped sound that he did on Shut Up. I was also there on the 84 tour and the Does Humor Belong In Music concert at the pier.

Those were the days...
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

rynnce
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby rynnce » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:43 pm

Great stuff. Yeah, lots of FZ influence but at the same time you guys have your own thing working.

I'll go out in a limb and say you sold at least one cd!

Rob

Mr. Toad wrote:Hey everyone! My band played a show a couple weeks back and I just uploaded the video in case anyone here is interested. I play a maple DC127 (2015) and the other guitarist plays a Koa/Mahogany AE185 (2005). We do all kinds of styles from Prog to country to jam band stuff. Thanks for listening!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO9Rwk0dnuM

Mr. Toad

Postby Mr. Toad » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:58 pm

rynnce wrote:Great stuff. Yeah, lots of FZ influence but at the same time you guys have your own thing working.

I'll go out in a limb and say you sold at least one cd!

Rob

Thanks for listening rynnce!

Mr. Toad

Postby Mr. Toad » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:28 pm

Also, while on the topic of Zappa, I tried tackling "The Black Page" a while back and posted a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkBosNKh-P4

Return to Share Your Kiesel Guitars Made Music