Announcements from Kiesel Guitars & the Forum Administrator

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, ChrisH, Mike Jones

Kevio
Forum Admin & Kiesel Guitars Webmaster
Links/Contact:

IMPORTANT > BBS Upgrade

Postby Kevio » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:36 am

In case you haven't seen my other posts on the subject, this weekend, I will be upgrading the BBS to the newest version of the BBS software. This is a complex upgrade, and will dramatically improve the security and functionality of the BBS. I plan on doing this on Sunday (Nov 20th). During the upgrade, the board will be disabled. Following the upgrade, there may be bugs that need to be addressed, but so far, all my testing has been successful.

No data should be lost in the transfer. I've already tested migrating the data, and was able to successfully move everything. Usernames, posts, avatars, ranks/post totals, PMs, images - it all seems to work. When the migration is complete, you will be able to log in with your current credentials. You may want to clear your browser history, cache & cookies, just to get rid of the old BBS files stored on your system, but it shouldn't be necessary, and shouldn't cause any problems if you don't.

The new system looks similar to the current one, but is dramatically better. Much better security, better functionality, better profile options (you can add your FB, Skype, birthday, etc), better mobile functionality, and much more secure user registrations. I've implemented reCAPTCHA for authentication, and new users will also be compared to the SORBS IP blacklist and Spamhaus spammer list. This should virtually eliminate spammy registrations (which was a big part of he reason for the upgrade - we've been under a spam attack for about 6 weeks now, with hundreds of spammy users registering every day). The Picture Uploader, as it is now, will be gone. You will now be able to drag and drop pictures right into your post. I've also been able to upload pics straight from my iPhone camera roll.

The interface may take a little getting used to - figuring out which buttons do what and so on, but it's pretty straight-forward.

Following the migration, the Search feature will not initially work. The search indices will have to be rebuilt, and with all the posts here, that will probably take a good 24 hours, maybe more. While the search is being rebuilt, the BBS may be a little slow, because that's a resource-intensive process.

There will undoubtedly be bugs that have to be chased down, along with minor formatting issues or other unforeseen issues. I've tested - a lot - on the new system, and I think I've caught most of the significant issues, but it's impossible to test everything. When the new system is live, I'll start a "Bug Report" thread in the Technical Support forum, so everything is consolidated in one place.

Lastly, because I have tested everything, I don't anticipate the whole thing blowing up - but you never know. If something Really Bad happens, I'll roll back to the current system, and let everyone know what's what.

If you see any critical problems, let me know in the post I made in the Lounge. Minor stuff, like formatting issues, don't worry about that right now. Same with feature requests - once the new system is up, running, and stable, I'll start a "Features Request" topic to address those.

Thanks for your patience and support - see you on the other side!
The gear:
DC6, HH2X, V440, CT6T, V220C, IC4, IC5P, BB70P, XB75, AC40, LB70K, LB70, LB70, LB70F, XB76WPF, SB40, MB1, DN640K, DN440T, AC375

Kevio
Links/Contact:

re: IMPORTANT > BBS Upgrade

Postby Kevio » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:13 am

A couple of other things:

I've deleted thousands of spammy usernames, so they won't be moved over (and therefore, it shaves a little time off the data migration). Ordinarily, I just leave them and never activate them, so the username/email can't be re-used on a new account. But no point in moving thousands of usernames over, especially since on the new system, there are various sophisticated anti-spam measures in place.

I've also cleaned up a bunch of old posts, primarily posts that are no longer relevant (How about a Vader bass? What are the Hollywood store's hours? Can we talk about tonewoods??). So, you may see your post counts have changed slightly. That much less to migrate.

If you like (and have time), please take a few minutes to look at your PM box, and delete anything you no longer need. Not necessary, and your PMs will move over, but the less data to migrate, the faster it will go. Thanks!

As it stands right now, I'm still shooting for Sunday morning to flip the switch, so I can spend tomorrow going over everything one last time. It'll be early in the morning when I start; probably between 6 - 8 AM Eastern.

Watch this space for more info.
The gear:
DC6, HH2X, V440, CT6T, V220C, IC4, IC5P, BB70P, XB75, AC40, LB70K, LB70, LB70, LB70F, XB76WPF, SB40, MB1, DN640K, DN440T, AC375

Return to Announcements