Two new builds about to go in...

Expecting some new gear from Kiesel Guitars? Post here!

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

MarshallTSL
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Re: Two new builds about to go in...

Postby MarshallTSL » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:22 am

Thanks; I think she's pretty spectacular, but then, she's mine.

I got it on a Pick-Your-Top session. I had 15 minutes before a meeting was scheduled to begin, and it had been posted on Instagram just before Jeff went live. I called Flock and pulled the trigger and it got yanked from both Instagram and Jeff's FB live session. I was five minutes late for my meeting, but it was worth it.

It's interesting that when I went to the showroom to finalize both builds, Jeff had bookmatched it opposite to how it was finally built. He had the "dirty" sides facing each other. Either way, it's a great way to buy a custom guitar.

BTW, that Solo is now my #1. It's the first guitar I've ever owned with a maple fretboard. The roasted neck and roasted flamed maple fretboard are silky, but tactile. I've commented elsewhere, but I can't imagine that I'll ever buy a guitar without it, if it's possible. Of course, the neck-thrus don't apply, but it's definitely pushing me to more bolt-on and set-neck instruments.

The next one is going to be a 7. What do you guys like, and why?

[/quote]

:coolpics:

That is the best top I think I've ever seen on a bass. Beautiful instrument. Kudos![/quote]
Icon 5 Spalted Flamed Maple, Solo 6x Burl Walnut, Aries A6X Blue Hawaii Quilt, Aries A6X Crimson Flamed Redwood, SH65 Master Grade Ziricote, TL60C Black Cherry Quilt, HH2 Claro Walnut, CT6 Deep Blue Quilt

SolidOrangeTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SolidOrangeTiger » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:29 am

MarshallTSL wrote:BTW, that Solo is now my #1. It's the first guitar I've ever owned with a maple fretboard. The roasted neck and roasted flamed maple fretboard are silky, but tactile. I've commented elsewhere, but I can't imagine that I'll ever buy a guitar without it, if it's possible. Of course, the neck-thrus don't apply, but it's definitely pushing me to more bolt-on and set-neck instruments.

The next one is going to be a 7. What do you guys like, and why?

Awesome to hear! My favorite options from Kiesel are:
1. Tung-oiled necks. I will never buy a guitar with a finished neck again.
2. Adding to #1, any of Kiesel's walnut necks. Tung-oiled walnut feels AMAZING. Highly recommended if you've never tried it.
a. I have yet to try a roasted maple neck and am sure they are also awesome.
3. Roasted maple fretboards (my favorite being flamed roasted maple due to the insane chatoyance). In addition to looking beautiful and feeling awesome, a roasted fretboard also fights off fret sprout.
4. Roasted swamp ash bodies. These are light as a feather and really suprising tonally. When I got my K series I expected a bassy guitar with subdued low end. I could not have been more pleasantly wrong. Roasted swamp ash has a nice even tone and is extremely resonant.
5. Rear Natural Clear. Kiesel offers some amazing exotic woods and covering them up is a real shame. The right stain on swamp ash can look nice but otherwise I would say the natural wood grain of the body will look better than any stain 9 times out of ten.
6. The Beryllium pickups. I've tried each of the 'Kiesel' series pickups and these are easily my favorite. They're like the classic Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz combo but with more character to them.
a. Lithiums are also great when dialed in for the right lead tone, but can otherwise sound a bit thin. Lithiums are easily the most responsive and articulate pickup I've ever played though.
7. The Standard Stainless Steel Frets. These are a staple of a modern guitar and Kiesel's are some of the smoothest on the market.
a. EVO gold is also beautiful on the right build. It doesn't feel as smooth as stainless but is probably 3/4 of the way there when you compare stainless steel to classic nickel.
8. The Kiesel Trem. The only non-locking floating tremolo that doesn't give me nightmares. It's great if you tend to stick to one tuning.
9. The reverse inline headstock for modern flat tops, the standard GT headstock for classic flat tops, and the standard inline pointed 3+3 headstock for carved tops.
9. Multi-laminate necks. These are I have yet to need even the slightest truss rod adjustment in any of these guitars.
10. Not an option and rather a standard feature, but these guitars have the highest quality electronics on the market. The switches, knobs, wiring, shielding, etc. are all top notch.
Kiesel Arsenal:
--- C6C: Orangeburst Quilted Maple over Black Limba. (2018)
--- SCB6X: Trans Orange/Crimson V-Burst Burl Maple over Koa. (2019)
--- K6H: Fire Crotch Flamed Maple over Roasted Swamp Ash. (2019)
--- D6X: Natural Flamed Koa over Roasted Swamp Ash. (IN PRODUCTION)

wickid
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:07 am

SolidOrangeTiger wrote:...
6. The Beryllium pickups. I've tried each of the 'Kiesel' series pickups and these are easily my favorite. They're like the classic Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz combo but with more character to them.
a. Lithiums are also great when dialed in for the right lead tone, but can otherwise sound a bit thin. Lithiums are easily the most responsive and articulate pickup I've ever played though.

Thanks for the input on those. I keep wondering if I want to chance the Beryl's if I ever get to my Delos H-H build.
8)
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

SolidOrangeTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby SolidOrangeTiger » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:42 pm

wickid wrote:

Thanks for the input on those. I keep wondering if I want to chance the Beryl's if I ever get to my Delos H-H build.
8)

Well, if you'd like my opinion...
Kiesel Arsenal:
--- C6C: Orangeburst Quilted Maple over Black Limba. (2018)
--- SCB6X: Trans Orange/Crimson V-Burst Burl Maple over Koa. (2019)
--- K6H: Fire Crotch Flamed Maple over Roasted Swamp Ash. (2019)
--- D6X: Natural Flamed Koa over Roasted Swamp Ash. (IN PRODUCTION)

wickid
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby wickid » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:41 am

SolidOrangeTiger wrote:
wickid wrote:

8)

Well, if you'd like my opinion...

Cant view that image?? :?
Quoting shows the link as "https://media2.giphy.com/media/sPJYmkAJ6UJGw/200.webp?cid=790b761120b1d5ff32b87e1e5899bad037cebddfc592a76b&rid=200.webp".
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:08 am

Hmm...it works for me.

Return to The Waiting Room