Holdsworth HHX Club

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

bd

Re: re: Holdsworth HHX Club

Postby bd » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:08 am

CarvinDan wrote:Just curious... what radius have people been getting on their HHX guitars? I'm used to the standard 12" on the DC series, and wondering how much different the standard 20" of the HHX would be for me, I know the neck is a bit "thicker" than other Carvin models as well... While I'm considering an HH2X for my next guitar, it is rather different from the DC 127 that I'm used to..

I got a 14" radius on mine. 20" is a little too flat for me. The neck shape is fantastic.

bchulse

re: Holdsworth HHX Club

Postby bchulse » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:35 am

I got the 20" Radius (standard size). I was a bit worried, cause
my hands are small, but it feels great to me. Not too big or flat.

speedyone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby speedyone » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:39 pm

Just got my new HH2X yesterday, but have a question:

Anyone who owns one feel like it is difficult to do bends on the higher frets?

I had them put 008 gauge double ball end strings on. But I'll be darned if it doesn't feel like I'm playing 009s from the 1st fret to the 12th, but from then on, it feels like 011's when attempting bends!

It is completely messing with me, and is really bumming me out.

:(

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:43 pm

That would make sense. Since the total string length is shorter (no headstock), there's less total string length to pull from, to allow you to bend.

Essentially, you're trying to pull the same slack out of a shorter rope.

This is just theoretical assumption on my part, and has no basic in any sort of knowledge of real science. :lol:

speedyone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby speedyone » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:07 pm

I had an H2 strung with 008s, and this (weird string tension) didn't happen.

Also, just played for 3 hours going through my song set, and the guitar will NOT stay in tune at all.

I understand that the strings need to be stretched out, but 3 hours of constant playing should be plenty....not to mention, actually doing the obligatory INTENTIONAL string stretching I did.

All in all, not a good NGD.

:(

I considered making a post in "Carvin Guitars", but not much point. From a fit and finish perspective, it's fantastic. The quality is first rate. But the tuning and string tension issue make this a no-go for me.

Really had impossibly high hopes, based on my love of the H2 I had previously.

Still a Carvin lover, but I don't feel like waiting another 10 weeks for a new guitar; I don't have a back-up axe, and have gigs lined up. Maybe will try another Carvin next year.

Of course I shall continue to visit and post here; the members are all respectful, knowledgeable, and fun!

speedyone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby speedyone » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:19 pm

Keeping the new HH2X; have had some time to bond with it, and the good/great outweighs the "not-so-good".

:)

Pics, then a link to my review--

Review:

http://www.carvinbbs.com/viewtopic.php?t=42366

:)

speedyone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby speedyone » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:46 pm

After spending a lot more time playing, I am really loving the HH2. However, I am gonna put 007s on it...CRAZY I know!! But the 008s on there feel so stiff when bending up on the high frets.

Here's a question for anyone who has an HH:

HOW do you adjust the intonation?!

There is no info that came with the guitar, and when I googled to find instructions, I found a little brochure/picture which ONLY states "to adjust intonation, slide the saddle forward or backward".

There doesn't seem to be an adjustment screw. Can this be right? You just slide the saddle forward or back with your fingers? That cannot possible produce accurate intonation.

If anyone can tell me how to reset the intonation, since I'm gonna put 007s on, please let me know!

Thanks all!

speedyone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby speedyone » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:22 pm

bump for any intonation answers?

Is everyone else setting the intonation by sliding the saddles back and forth by hand?

marzzz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby marzzz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:40 pm

I am still waiting for my HH2X (est. date 7/29), but if it's anything like a Steinberger S-Trem, yes the intonation is adjusted by sliding the individual saddles by hand. They sit together in the trem, and fit very snugly even when the locking hex nut is loosened.

I am curious about your issue with bending....I have played Steinbergers with 10-46 sets without any problems- they felt like most Strats with that string gauge. I ordered mine with 10's, 9's (on Strats) feel a bit too floppy for me. Hopefully I will know better in about two weeks or so.

speedyone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby speedyone » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Well, I ended up sending the lovely HH2 back.

It only stayed in tune briefly one night. The next morning, wouldn't stay in tune at all, despite many attempts at working with it.

I wish I could be more descriptive about the bending "problem". This COULD most certainly be an issue with my technique, and NOT the guitar itself.

Thanks for the post about adjusting intonation; I was surprised you do it by hand, instead of using screws! That makes doing it as perfectly as possible NOT possible.

I think the HH2 is a wonderful instrument, just not the one for me. Not to fear though, I will be in the market for a 7 string, and Carvin will be the brand I go with for that one! I had a DC727 that was excellent a few years ago.

Good luck with your new HH, and I hope you love it!

Jbird
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Jbird » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:47 pm

speedyone wrote:Well, I ended up sending the lovely HH2 back.

It only stayed in tune briefly one night. The next morning, wouldn't stay in tune at all, despite many attempts at working with it.

I wish I could be more descriptive about the bending "problem". This COULD most certainly be an issue with my technique, and NOT the guitar itself.

Thanks for the post about adjusting intonation; I was surprised you do it by hand, instead of using screws! That makes doing it as perfectly as possible NOT possible.

I think the HH2 is a wonderful instrument, just not the one for me. Not to fear though, I will be in the market for a 7 string, and Carvin will be the brand I go with for that one! I had a DC727 that was excellent a few years ago.

Good luck with your new HH, and I hope you love it!

Did you use regular strings or double-ball strings?

I can't imagine a headless guitar not keeping tune using double-ball strings. I can throw my Steinberger into it's case and not open it for 3 months and it will still be perfectly in tune.

I would think maybe using regular strings in that string adapter thing might not be optimal.

t0aj15
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby t0aj15 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:15 am

Jbird wrote:I would think maybe using regular strings in that string adapter thing might not be optimal.
I've been using regular strings in my HH2 from the moment I got it and I've had zero tuning problems.

Ultramog

Postby Ultramog » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:48 am

I am an H2 owner, thrilled with the instrument. But I am considering a wiring mod so that the middle position will be one coil from each pickup, wired in series. This was the middle position on PRS 5-way rotary, and I like the tone.

Does anyone know if the HH2 mini-toggle pickup selector an on/on/on switch that I could use to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs