Holdsworth HHX Club

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

rlm
Carvinite
Carvinite

Re: re: Holdsworth HHX Club

Postby rlm » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:14 pm

CarvinDan wrote:Just curious... what radius have people been getting on their HHX guitars? I'm used to the standard 12" on the DC series, and wondering how much different the standard 20" of the HHX would be for me, I know the neck is a bit "thicker" than other Carvin models as well... While I'm considering an HH2X for my next guitar, it is rather different from the DC 127 that I'm used to..

I would guess most so far got the 20"...but I notice that all 4 current radii are available now on the HH builder..even the 10". With individual ,up and down adjustable bridge saddles, and the zero fret serving as the nut, any Carvin fretboard radius can be acheived I would think.

I'm more familiar with the feel of the 127 type neck and been thinking along the same lines as you before I get one of these,but,yea, I'm liking 'em..a lot,lol.

derrylgabel
Gold Member
Gold Member

re: Holdsworth HHX Club

Postby derrylgabel » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:27 pm

I have a 20 radius. I prefer that. I even have that on my ST300 which was an option 50.
I have my action as low as it will go without buzzing or fretting out. It's 1mm at the 12 fret low E and .08mm on the high E. I also took some of the forward bow out of the neck. There's about the least amount of bow you can have before fretting out or buzzing. The guitar is effortless to play :D

lapulapu

Postby lapulapu » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:11 pm

The mahogany HH2 pictured above is actually mine. I got it last Thursday, 04/05. Here are the attached photos:Image

Timotheedle
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby Timotheedle » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:14 pm

what size strings do you use darryl?

I have some 8-38's on my HF2 and thinking of going to 9-42's. I had 9-46 for a long while and decided to give the smaller strings another shot.

btw on your HH the strings do still buzz some right?

secondstring
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby secondstring » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:51 am

lapulapu,

hot diggity that's a cool looking axe! i hope mine turns out as good as yours did.

i shouldn't visit this bbs so often, it's making the wait a heck of a lot harder!

zortmuckerman

Postby zortmuckerman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:10 pm

Hey guys, the wait is over. I finally got my HH2x. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Quick question, did your pole pieces on the Holdsworth pickups come flat? Mine came raised on the A and D strings on both pickups and I was wondering if that was done purposefully. The setup was a bit high but I can fix that. Really unique sounding guitar. Image

derrylgabel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby derrylgabel » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:25 pm

zortmuckerman wrote:Hey guys, the wait is over. I finally got my HH2x. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Quick question, did your pole pieces on the Holdsworth pickups come flat? Mine came raised on the A and D strings on both pickups and I was wondering if that was done purposefully. The setup was a bit high but I can fix that. Really unique sounding guitar. Image

Nice! Yes, my pole pieces were raised. I never noticed that until now. Does your zero nut seem higher than the other frets? Just curious.

zortmuckerman

Postby zortmuckerman » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:43 pm

I looked at the zero fret real quick when I first picked it up. Maybe I didn't look close enough, but it appeared to be the same size as the other frets. I got the Jumbo stainless steel frets, btw.

derrylgabel
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby derrylgabel » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:49 pm

zortmuckerman wrote:I looked at the zero fret real quick when I first picked it up. Maybe I didn't look close enough, but it appeared to be the same size as the other frets. I got the Jumbo stainless steel frets, btw.

Yeah, that's what I have. Mine came with a slightly higher fret. I filed it down to make it level.

RockCrue

Postby RockCrue » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:57 pm

zortmuckerman wrote:Image

Ah... I see a flamed maple board on 2nd look. Niiice... :shock: :drool: :drool:

secondstring
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby secondstring » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:10 pm

zortmuckerman wrote:Image

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Nice Axe.

Love the combination of the light fretboard and the dark body.

I'm not 100% sure, what woods are those?

Good call on the rosewood knobs, too!

zortmuckerman

Postby zortmuckerman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:49 pm

Thanks for the compliments guys! It's a walnut top, alder body, maple neck with a flamed fretboard. Im really glad they matched the walnut and the rosewood knobs. I'm having some trouble getting my action the way I like it. It was really high when I took it out of the box. I tightened the truss rod and lowered the saddles but I started getting some buzzing on the first three frets. When I loosened the truss rod it went away but the action is high up the neck and the saddles dont seem to go any lower. Can anyone help?

robquattro

Postby robquattro » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:21 pm

You probably already know this, but there is a set screw (allen) on the side of the trem that you have to loosen before the saddles will actually lower...

zortmuckerman

Postby zortmuckerman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:40 pm

robquattro wrote:You probably already know this, but there is a set screw (allen) on the side of the trem that you have to loosen before the saddles will actually lower...

Yeah, I knew about that. But I figured it out! You know how each saddle has 2 screws? One in front of the roller and one behind it? I thought the one behind the roller controlled the height of the saddle and the one in front of it controlled the intonation. They both adjust the height. To adjust intonation, you just move the saddle back and forth. Huzzah!

Python
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Python » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:41 am

Anyone notice an issue with the trem when you bend down and bring it up it stays in tune, but when you bend down and bring it up then pull up it goes sharp, like a quarter step? Also if you simulate a classical vibrato by bending down and pulling up repeatedly. I set it up to specs with the big knob and locking lever, but it wants to go sharp when pulling up.

robquattro

Postby robquattro » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:52 am

yes python mine does that as well...it goes slightly sharp if i end a phrase with a pull up on the bar. I would love love if anyone can tell me a fix for this....

Python
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Python » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:43 am

After some research on the Steinberger R-Trem it seems some others mentioned that issue. The process is lock > tune > release lock > tighten master tune screw.

robquattro

Postby robquattro » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:56 am

Hmmm, that is interesting. I have a steinberger that doesn't dothis. What/where is the master tune screw?

Thanks forthe help python...

Python
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby Python » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:49 pm

What/where is the master tune screw?

The big knob in the back. Here is a discussion on it in another forum.

OotMagroot
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby OotMagroot » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:57 pm

dejabluguitar wrote:Have you researched other brands that use a zero fret? I believe it's standard practice to have the zero taller than the rest.

This what I have always been told.

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs