KOA Club

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: JesseM, Mike Jones, Bundy, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

re: KOA Club

Postby canon_mutant » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:25 pm

You know, if it plays like butt, then it's just a nice piece of furniture . . .

This KOA CS6 is my goto guitar. It is absolutely "better" than my 1 of only 25, Cognacburst, 50th anniversary R9 that I thought I needed since I also turned 50 in 2009 AND the one I stumbled across has my birthday month/year "in the serial number". That was like a sign from the guitar gods or something but this Carvin out plays it, out sounds it, in every way. Not to imply my Gibson is a POS . . . nor is it for sale!

That said, of late, I've been getting lazy about switching guitars so I got a piezo equipped TL60 which is quite nice but a little short on the acoustic side and am now looking at going Semi-Hollow Synth but that CS6 is easily the best guitar investment I have made to date . . . :arrow: :D

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:50 am

I would say a solid 80% of Les Paul players that I've encountered in my time who acquired a CSingle, CT, or some of the older LP scale/wired CM and DC models have left Les Pauls permanently behind. And it was an instant conversion mixed with disbelief for the looks, the price, customizability and of course playability.

Never got to say to Gene From Tampa:

Beautiful koa top! It looks like rippled petrified amber. Love it! :applause:
Carvin Weaponry:
1985 DC150K (koa) Stereo, M22N/M22SD w/black hardware.
1985 100 Watt X Amp 2 x 12 combo (XV212) upgraded w/ 2 Vintage 30's
...and other gear.

https://soundcloud.com/the_heavy_clouds

ElfDude
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Re: re: KOA Club

Postby ElfDude » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:13 am

Doctor Turn wrote:I would say a solid 80% of Les Paul players that I've encountered in my time who acquired a CSingle, CT, or some of the older LP scale/wired CM and DC models have left Les Pauls permanently behind. And it was an instant conversion mixed with disbelief for the looks, the price, customizability and of course playability.

My brother still flip flops between his CT6 and his Les Paul. Hopefully he'll come around. ;)
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on FaceBook
My YouTube Channel

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:31 am

Sounds like he may be one of the other 20% which are usually hard core Classic Rock guys who see the Les Paul as more than the sum of it's mechanical parts; it's a zenith of instrument acquisition, and when they hold it in their hands they hold young Keith Richards, Page, Clapton, et al in their hands. The Gibson logo showing at gigs on the headstock is equally important to the sound coming out of the amp, or the comfort of the neck/fretwork. Burstbuckers and no further! (I don't know that that's your bro :))

WHile I will take a Les Paul neck over a Strat neck any day (hell, if I didn't originally like/own Les Pauls, I would have never looked at Carvin's 150), esp the wide LP neck of 2015, the hyper-meticulous quality of a Carvin, and the versatility is miles ahead. There's not a Les Paul of any pedigree, including SG's, double cuts, anything, that I would trade my 150K for... ever.

We shall all light candles in hopes for your brother! :wink:
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

ElfDude
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby ElfDude » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:12 am

Doctor Turn wrote:Sounds like he may be one of the other 20% which are usually hard core Classic Rock guys who see the Les Paul as more than the sum of it's mechanical parts; it's a zenith of instrument acquisition, and when they hold it in their hands they hold young Keith Richards, Page, Clapton, et al in their hands. The Gibson logo showing at gigs on the headstock is equally important to the sound coming out of the amp, or the comfort of the neck/fretwork. Burstbuckers and no further! (I don't know that that's your bro :))

In part, yeah. It's what his idols played and it holds all kinds of cachet to him (and to me to a certain extent, but I don't need to own one). But not to the point of making no mods. He's swapped pickups and even carved the neck to his liking. :)

Sorry for the thread hijacking... :hijack:
SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100

Midlife Crisis on FaceBook

My YouTube Channel

Randy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Postby Randy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:41 pm

Am I the only one who read the subject line and thought...

:lol: :lol:

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:10 pm

wickid wrote:PS Can somebody please edit their post to kill this lateral scrolling - thx.

Thought maybe it was my pic that caused it so I just deleted it and the lateral scrolling problem was still there so I put it back.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:45 pm

Oh no way-- def not you c_m, it's 4everrebel above our axes, all of his shots are horizontally arranged.. he needs to hit enter after each of his shots to stack them vertically.

And btw I think there's a good chance that his (4verreb) axe actually is all koa. The grain stitching in closeup looks a lot like koa. SOmetimes you see very staight cuts like that--and some of the non figured pieces are some of the best sounding in terms of conducting sound.

But until a receipt can be found, who can say?
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Doug
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Doctor Doug » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:40 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Sounds like he may be one of the other 20% which are usually hard core Classic Rock guys who see the Les Paul as more than the sum of it's mechanical parts; it's a zenith of instrument acquisition, and when they hold it in their hands they hold young Keith Richards, Page, Clapton, et al in their hands. The Gibson logo showing at gigs on the headstock is equally important to the sound coming out of the amp, or the comfort of the neck/fretwork. Burstbuckers and no further! (I don't know that that's your bro :))

WHile I will take a Les Paul neck over a Strat neck any day (hell, if I didn't originally like/own Les Pauls, I would have never looked at Carvin's 150), esp the wide LP neck of 2015, the hyper-meticulous quality of a Carvin, and the versatility is miles ahead. There's not a Les Paul of any pedigree, including SG's, double cuts, anything, that I would trade my 150K for... ever.

I'm still sort of a Les Paul guy. Mainly because the neck of my Carvin is thinner than I like and I prefer single cutaways. I'm saving hard for a CS with a thicker neck that will cause me to throw my Pauls in a closet!

My Carvin makes it onto everything I record, I just rarely play it live.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:40 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:EDIT: BTW you wouldn't happen to have "covered M22 stock pickups" on your axe would you?

Didn't see this question . . .

No, they are just S22B/Js.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:22 pm

Yeah right before you posted your axe here spudmonkey and I were talking about this guy here who also has a CS w a koa top and a gold floyd... but I realized afterwards the difference in not only figuring but truss cover (his is engraved).

I didn't want to go by the figuring because you both have vertical striping, and koa flaming can pop and recede depending on light and angle. So there was a chance . . . :mrgreen:

Anyway he says in the comments that his axe has "standard covered M22's" which is odd in a couple of ways. The M's are NOT standard on the CS, nor are they standard "covered" anywhere. So we think he's just mixed up and used to associating Carvin w the M22's.

HIs axe sounds nice though, as I'm sure yours does.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:24 pm

Doctor Doug wrote:
I'm still sort of a Les Paul guy. Mainly because the neck of my Carvin is thinner than I like and I prefer single cutaways.

Highjack Alert . . :hijack:

And, I must confess, the '57 Classics are still my favorite all time humbuckers and I too "prefer" a slightly thicker neck. But, that custom tung oiled feel on my Carvins more than make up for the slightly thinner neck. I'd consider putting a set of '57 Classics in a Carvin if I didn't have to butcher it at all? Don't quite fit.

Despite my obvious affection for Carvin, there are plenty of reasons to love and play Gibsons.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:52 pm

Doctor Doug wrote:
I'm still sort of a Les Paul guy. Mainly because the neck of my Carvin is thinner than I like and I prefer single cutaways. I'm saving hard for a CS with a thicker neck that will cause me to throw my Pauls in a closet!

My Carvin makes it onto everything I record, I just rarely play it live.

I hear that. Believe me you wouldn't hear me cry if my Carvin had a wider neck, esp like this year's Les Paul. I kind of have catchers mitts so my hands settle in on a LP VERY easy.

It's the deep DEEP muscle memory of my hands around the D, almost U shape of the 150 that keeps it so comfy for me. And the unbelievably excellent fretwork and neck setting (and stable koa wood of the neck). But anyone w big hands can understand your point.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:52 am

Spud used the word Chatoyance the other day, which put me to wondering why I can never get good pics of my guitar that shows how it really looks, even though my camera stinks.

I just figured it out--flash. Shows the magic of very old koa, and how you get it to look right in a photo the way it looks in person. This gives a small hint of my obsession...

Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

canon_mutant
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby canon_mutant » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:22 pm

Oh, I had every confidence that it was prettier than your other shot Doc!

After falling in love with my CS6 again for the [what] 27th time now in its 11 year life, plus all of the gas in this thread, I am almost feeling guilty about even exploring other woods in my next build.

But, that's also part of the fun, gas, whatever? I had my 4th Carvin made all walnut 6 years ago and, other than it weighing nearly 11 lbs. which I did not consider at the time, it also sounds and plays amazingly. Yet another work of art!

It is kind of cool to design your own axe from the ground up and be truly amazed with its looks when you open the box . . . and then you actually get to play it. :wink:

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:27 pm

Plain koa-topped AC375, with Cherryburst edges, BEM fretboard, Abalone dot inlays, Abalone logo, and black hardware. Bought from a guy in Oklahoma City on Craigslist. Just picked it up from my office yesterday. :)

Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by spudmunkey on Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite

Postby spudmunkey » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:29 pm

Doctor Turn wrote:Spud used the word Chatoyance the other day

Here is a video I made about it that serves two purposes:
- I made it to explain why some guitars can look like a "bad bookmatch" when in reality, it's very likely not the case at all
- It also demonstrated how much I sound like Bert of Bert and Ernie when I talk...and I should have written out an outline because I ramble a bit... :-p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QthZcFpUih0

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:11 pm

Cool video, and you sound totally fine and easy to listen to. And turning the board with the arrow fixed in one spot to show the disappearance of the flame was perfect.

I'm afraid one thing my guitar is not is bookmatched. Harmonious, maybe, with the two big edge chunks in yellow, but def not matched. If you look at the vast majority of the solid stereo koa guitars from say the first 5 years of Carvin's "pre-top" (and pre neck-thru) days . . running say 81 (when they launched koa) to 86, the koa is so asymmetrically featured, with everything going off in all directions, at the same time looking at it from different angles and light changes everything, it's like looking at the macy's fireworks one minute and then looking away and then looking back.

It's this very asymmetrical quality of koa figure I adore.

VERY cool acoustic spud, I like, I like.. I love bird eyes. It's one of my favorite phenoms in wood. I see it less and less these days. I caught a few on mine.
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby skully13a » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:26 am

Hello, Koa club!

SH645
V440T
Purple Bolt!
DC127 Koa
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

Doctor Turn
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Doctor Turn » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:55 am

Like they would say in the 70's jive talk, which is appropriate to the koa nature of the build...

ssss-s-s-SSSSOLID!
Carvin Weaponry:
...and other gear.

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs