Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

User avatar
B.
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 187
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Portland, OR.

Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby B. » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:25 pm

I recently received my my first guitar with a custom / "option 50" ($100 up-charge / no return) finish and could not be more pleased. They did a perfect teardrop burst pattern on the body based on a photo I supplied.
Was I nervous? Oh hell ya. I honestly had a straight to ebay contigency plan.
If it didn't turn out, I didn't want to hang my sale pro with the grief. I was gonna dump it, regroup and reorder the same in a solid color (one of the dark reds).

My expectations were managed downward accordingly. As I opend the case for the first time, Shock... Joy... Perfection!
This thing is so frikin' right it's sick. I'm left with the distinct impression that every person that touched it (from sales to shipping) gave it an added level of attention because it was an option 50 build.

Risk / Reward...
Was it worth the upcharge and risk of being stuck with it? For me... yes!
Would I do it a 2nd time? Perhaps not.
I'm sure glad I did though, and happy that Carvin (quietly) gives you the option to take a risk and create a "one-of-a-kind (for better or worse) instrument.
Share your "Option 50" finish happy endings and photos.

Image
Last edited by B. on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Evster2012
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4396
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The Left Coast

re: Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby Evster2012 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:29 pm

Came out fantastic B! Mine's still a few weeks out, but Risk/Reward notwithstanding I'm sure it'll end up in this thread! :mrgreen:

User avatar
B.
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 187
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Portland, OR.

Re: re: Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby B. » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:34 pm

Evster2012 wrote:Came out fantastic B! Mine's still a few weeks out, but Risk/Reward notwithstanding I'm sure it'll end up in this thread! :mrgreen:


Cool man. I can't wait to see it!
Thanks again for feeding me the couple of "shopped" mock ups.
The last couple of weeks on the waiting list are the worst...
They kept me going.

User avatar
wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 2156
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: NY
Links/Contact:

re: Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby wickid » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:15 pm

Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Image

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

User avatar
RockCrue
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6635
Joined: May 2009
Location: Maine

re: Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby RockCrue » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:02 pm

That koa CT is one of my all time favs. 8)

User avatar
B.
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 187
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Portland, OR.

re: Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby B. » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:07 pm

Wickid I like your Moss CT.
Opt.#50 because of the no binding ?

User avatar
Hairmacht
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1267
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles

re: Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby Hairmacht » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:15 pm

My Opt50 burl burst baby 8)

I've actually been pretty bad about posting more pics in the various clubs like the CS club and Burl club and etc but here it is! The anxiety from this Opt50 nearly drove me crazy but I'm really happy with how it all turned out.

Image
The Arsenal
'75 SS76, '77 CM130, '85 V220, '85 V220, '86 V440, '88 DC125, '88 DC125, '89 DC150, '90 BC130, '93 DC400, '93 DC127, '03 DC127, Cobalt 250, '12 CS6, '13 DC800, '14 SCB7
MTS3200H, 412VB, Belair, 212E, G212

User avatar
CMGio
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 2573
Joined: May 2010
Location: Billings, MT

re: Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby CMGio » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:42 pm

My op 50 "Lizardburst:"


Image
Image
Arsenal:
2011 DC131C
2012 TL60C
1988 DC125R
2013 CS424
2014 DC600C


Note: Repeated head trauma has potentially damaged this user's credibility.

User avatar
RockCrue
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6635
Joined: May 2009
Location: Maine

Re: re: Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby RockCrue » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:00 pm

Hairmacht wrote:My Opt50 burl burst baby 8)

I've actually been pretty bad about posting more pics in the various clubs like the CS club and Burl club and etc but here it is! The anxiety from this Opt50 nearly drove me crazy but I'm really happy with how it all turned out.


Bro, I say post em loud and proud!!! It is so deserving. 8)

User avatar
wickid
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 2156
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: NY
Links/Contact:

Re: re: Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby wickid » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:14 am

B. wrote:Wickid I like your Moss CT.
Opt.#50 because of the no binding ?


That and the color on the back - CT6s have a clear (over mahog) or black back.
Proud Carvin owner since 1985! My Carvin gear time capsule...

Image

Dont miss the purple CT6!
(Any photobucket links are probably now broken. Grrrrrr!!!)

User avatar
Appollyon
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4120
Joined: May 2012
Location: Mentor, Ohio

Re: re: Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby Appollyon » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:31 pm

Hairmacht wrote:My Opt50 burl burst baby 8)

I've actually been pretty bad about posting more pics in the various clubs like the CS club and Burl club and etc but here it is! The anxiety from this Opt50 nearly drove me crazy but I'm really happy with how it all turned out.

Image


BAH!!! I can't stop seeing this guitar! I am so unbelievably jealous of this beauty. Probably my favorite guitar on here! If you somehow become certifiable and decide to sell it, PM me first. I will pay whatever you paid (barring noticeable wear and tear).
DC727, AC375, SH65, DC800, Bolt, CT74, CT7, CS, SH575, HH2X, HF2, Kiesel edition SCB7C, SCB7H, DC7X, DC7x group buy, Vader7

User avatar
Evster2012
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4396
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The Left Coast

Re: re: Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby Evster2012 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:45 pm

Appollyon wrote:
BAH!!! I can't stop seeing this guitar! I am so unbelievably jealous of this beauty. Probably my favorite guitar on here! If you somehow become certifiable and decide to sell it, PM me first. I will pay whatever you paid (barring noticeable wear and tear).


I KNOW! I'm not one to use the term often, but that thing is SICK!!! :drool:

User avatar
RFT
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 121
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: North Central Washington

Re: Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby RFT » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:00 pm

B. wrote:I recently received my my first guitar with a custom / "option 50" ($100 up-charge / no return) finish and could not be more pleased. They did a perfect teardrop burst pattern on the body based on a photo I supplied.
Was I nervous? Oh hell ya. I honestly had a straight to ebay contigency plan.
If it didn't turn out, I didn't want to hang my sale pro with the grief. I was gonna dump it, regroup and reorder the same in a solid color (one of the dark reds).

My expectations were managed downward accordingly. As I opend the case for the first time, Shock... Joy... Perfection!
This thing is so frikin' right it's sick. I'm left with the distinct impression that every person that touched it (from sales to shipping) gave it an added level of attention because it was an option 50 build.

Risk / Reward...
Was it worth the upcharge and risk of being stuck with it? For me... yes!
Would I do it a 2nd time? Perhaps not.
I'm sure glad I did though, and happy that Carvin (quietly) gives you the option to take a risk and create a "one-of-a-kind (for better or worse) instrument.
Share your "Option 50" finish happy endings and photos.

Image



Love the tear drop burst. This is the way all bursts should be IMO on a paul style guitar.. just looks better.

User avatar
xjbebop
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite
Posts: 1208
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Earth

re: Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby xjbebop » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:21 am

Those Koa & burl specimens are outstanding!!
:applause:

I'm quite pleased with my boring ol' swamp ash too...

Image
Image
Image

User avatar
gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 6990
Joined: May 2010
Location: Western NC

Re: re: Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:46 am

xjbebop wrote:Those Koa & burl specimens are outstanding!!
:applause:

I'm quite pleased with my boring ol' swamp ash too...

Image
Image
Image


Every time I see that thing I'm blown away once again. Can you give us some specs on that thing? And remind me about that laminate layer. GOSH. This thing KILLS me. Now when Carvin offers a split PU for bass, I'm gonna be STUCK between this sort of thing, or the begging for an electric blue metallic.
:wall:
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10
Oven: SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware

User avatar
RockCrue
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6635
Joined: May 2009
Location: Maine

re: Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby RockCrue » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:10 am

Every time I read this thread title I think about this video at about the 1:56 mark. :lol:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUxhjc49zgs

User avatar
Appollyon
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4120
Joined: May 2012
Location: Mentor, Ohio

re: Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby Appollyon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:08 am

DC727: teal-->blue-->purple-->black burst
Image
DC800: Claro walnut front, maple center, claro walnut back
Image
Image
Image
SH65: custom burst burl top, flame maple back and sides, inlay on 12th only
Image
Image
Image
DC800: clear-->umber-->red/brown burst
Image
CS424 (in the oven): buckeye burl top I bought third party, koa back
Image
DC727, AC375, SH65, DC800, Bolt, CT74, CT7, CS, SH575, HH2X, HF2, Kiesel edition SCB7C, SCB7H, DC7X, DC7x group buy, Vader7

User avatar
gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 6990
Joined: May 2010
Location: Western NC

re: Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:38 pm

Your buckeye burl top is going to look better than that - you know that, right? I mean, I know that's an image of the actual top you're using but still....it's going to be SIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK.
:mrgreen:
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10
Oven: SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware

User avatar
Appollyon
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite
Posts: 4120
Joined: May 2012
Location: Mentor, Ohio

Re: re: Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby Appollyon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:28 pm

gumbynotpokey wrote:Your buckeye burl top is going to look better than that - you know that, right? I mean, I know that's an image of the actual top you're using but still....it's going to be SIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK.
:mrgreen:


I'm hoping so, gumbynotpokey! If it looks at least that good, I'll be happy. Question though: I got black bezels and the back is now koa - do you think that'll look ok and, if not, can I switch out those and the truss cover after the fact? Should I just change to cream now?
DC727, AC375, SH65, DC800, Bolt, CT74, CT7, CS, SH575, HH2X, HF2, Kiesel edition SCB7C, SCB7H, DC7X, DC7x group buy, Vader7

User avatar
gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 6990
Joined: May 2010
Location: Western NC

Re: re: Option 50 Finish (and Happy!) Club

Postby gumbynotpokey » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:33 pm

Appollyon wrote:
gumbynotpokey wrote:Your buckeye burl top is going to look better than that - you know that, right? I mean, I know that's an image of the actual top you're using but still....it's going to be SIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK.
:mrgreen:


I'm hoping so, gumbynotpokey! If it looks at least that good, I'll be happy. Question though: I got black bezels and the back is now koa - do you think that'll look ok and, if not, can I switch out those and the truss cover after the fact? Should I just change to cream now?


GOSH. That's a terrible question. Black bezels or cream? GEEZE. I think I would go with black. It will be sure to pop. Cream might clash.
:think:
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10
Oven: SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware


Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests