Headless Club

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

marzzz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Headless Club

Postby marzzz » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:21 am

OK, my guitar is finally on its way! I should have it today or tomorrow. BUT, I was informed that the short trem arm is no longer available, and they will be refunding my $15.00 for that option. Bummer, because the short trem goes so well with the smallish body. My vague understanding is that JCustom has been causing problems for Kiesel...

Kellameron

Postby Kellameron » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:18 pm

I have a stock HH2 I got in '12, just to check it out. Not a great picture, but telling enough. I like it. The sustain is incredible, and the intonation is the most even I've experienced. The tuner light goes right to green and stays there for aeons. The stock pickups are fine, though the bridge could be a little hotter for my music.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greg Emm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Greg Emm » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:27 am

Kellameron wrote:I have a stock HH2 I got in '12, just to check it out. Not a great picture, but telling enough.

That build is classic. I love the simplicity of the HH guitars, and yours really embodies all the best features of the model. Love that finish, too!

Thanks for sharing.

Kellameron

Postby Kellameron » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:22 pm

Greg Emm wrote:Love that finish, too!

It is nice. I usually go for solid colors, or at most a veneer top (at least maple tops, like maple fretboards, I do not like, chirpy), but I thought why not.

marzzz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby marzzz » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:10 pm

At last...

So I finally received my Teal HH2X; I originally ordered it late August, but it stayed at Kiesel for several weeks while they waited for JCustom to deliver hardware. As you are all aware, Kiesel decided to change the hardware and went with Hipshot, more about that in a minute. The guitar originally arrived December 7th, and I was surprised to discover (with the help of friends here) that it had the Ver 1 XS Trem. This is where the story gets kinda interesting; my esteemed sales person took my call regarding this, and after discussing it with Jeff Kiesel, came back to the phone and told me that "Allan prefers the original trem, it returns to tune better." Having owned Steinbergers and even a Klein Electric over the past several decades, I asked "if Mr. Holdsworth had been drinking or something?" In short order, they agreed to take the guitar back and replace the trem with a Ver 2. I received my guitar back Dec 30th. See below...

So I absolutely love how the Teal Flame came out, can you say perfect? I also wanted a dark rosewood fretboard, and they did that nicely. Compared to the 2014 CRM on the right, the neck feels slightly thinner, and the guitar itself feels a bit lighter than the CRM. People commented on the body thickness, but to me it feels very similar between the two. The upper fret access is a bit nicer, and I like how they finished the neck joint with the paint vs bare wood- it looks more natural. As far as tone, the Teal is slightly brighter/twangier than the CRM, but I am wondering (aside from the maple top) if that is also a function of the pickups? There is enough difference in tone to easily justify owning both- the Teal has an almost "stratty" vibe to it, while the CRM is slightly more "SG-ish." Sustain is very similar. The main concern was the XS Trem- I now have a Version 2 on the Teal, but it doesn't lock down as smoothly as the CRM. You have to "work" the Teal trem to get it to lock and stay in tune; if you set it to engage smoothly, it pushes the guitar about 20 cents sharp! I decided I could live with it, I have a funny feeling that I could go thru several trems and encounter similar problems, and the slight "catch" to make it lock and stay in tune properly is really not that big of a deal.

That said, I was kinda skeptical about the whole "Allan prefers the Ver 1 trem" story from Mr. Kiesel, especially considering that during that time they were getting the Hipshot Trem ready to go (and they announced it two weeks later!). The new Hipshot HH2X is really a completely different guitar, with the cavity in the back and springs like a strat trem. I played it briefly at NAMM, it was kinda hard to get a good demo in that small and crowded area of the Kiesel booth, but hey it did play pretty well and I am sure some people will prefer the new trem. As for myself, I came up thru Steinbergers, so now I am very happy I received my guitar before the big change. I personally wasn't worried about having a "Holdsworth" guitar, but am very grateful to AH and Carvin/Kiesel for building a modern, customizable, all wood/great tone Steinberger-type guitar that I had wanted for decades. As far as I am concerned, I got one of the last of the good ones. Considering that the HH series was just so recently re-designed, a second change this radical and so soon seems interesting. I will be curious to see which guitars AH plays the next time he performs...

Still on the fence regarding the new pickups. I have begun to lower them significantly and will continue working with them for the time being. I actually think the older Holdsworth pickups sound better when split than the new ones, go figure!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by marzzz on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Emm
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Greg Emm » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:04 am

What a killer guitar! They nailed it. That's one of the nicest flame tops I've seen, and the recent greener (at least to my eyes) teal is really appealing. Thank you for the sound comparison. And thanks a million for the saga of the trem. Makes me wonder what's really going on with this situation. :think:

Enjoy those guitars. You have one of the nicest pairings I've seen, both different enough in appointments and looks to be satisfyingly unique in looks and sounds, yet functionally similar.

Thanks again for the write-up.

marzzz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby marzzz » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:18 pm

marzzz wrote:Still on the fence regarding the new pickups. I have begun to lower them significantly and will continue working with them for the time being. I actually think the older Holdsworth pickups sound better when split than the new ones, go figure!

So...taking the idea that the Teal is going to be my more "strat-like" guitar, I brought the pickups back up to starting height and am digging into the trebly end of the spectrum; with the right amp settings (or in the case of my Kemper Profiler, the right amp choice) I am getting some nice strat-oid tones, even a bit o' qwack. Keeping in that trend, I now have the bridge primarily floating and don't lock it down, so I will be more tempted to use the wham-bar. This is by choice, I have gotten the locking mechanism to work more smoothly.

So has anyone taken delivery of the newer Hipshot HHXs?

Tabare777
Carvinite
Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Tabare777 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi brethren, here's my VM8
Here's some footage with the VM8 ->https://instagram.com/p/BS5fJqhhvLm/
Last edited by Tabare777 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Tabare777 WEBSITE
Kiesel VM8 & Carvin DC800
DV Mark Little 40II & Mesa Dual Recto 2x12 Cab

Koshchei
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby Koshchei » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Following in Rod's footsteps, here's mine:

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:00 pm

Holy smokes Rodrigo! I didn't even know you got that! Wow, that is a beauty! Congratulations! :coolpics:

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:00 pm

Koshchei wrote:Following in Rod's footsteps, here's mine:

So sick! :mrgreen: :applause:

Tabare777
Carvinite
Carvinite
Links/Contact:

Postby Tabare777 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:01 pm

Koshchie that's incredible, congrats!!!
Thanks Colossal :mrgreen:
Stoked!!!
Tabare777 WEBSITE
Kiesel VM8 & Carvin DC800
DV Mark Little 40II & Mesa Dual Recto 2x12 Cab

pbass6811
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pbass6811 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:31 pm

I forgot if basses are allowed in here? If so, I'm checking in... :woot:

-VB4/FDP
-VB5/fretted/White-Blue
-VB5/fretted/Satin Jet Black
-VB5/fretless/FDBC
-CT324X/Primer Gray

johnnyonguitar

Postby johnnyonguitar » Wed May 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Hi , checking in from Hong Kong!

This is my new HH2 received earlier this month!

pbass6811
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby pbass6811 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:23 pm

Since Photobucket sucks and my last pic is being held for ransom, I'm just gonna submit a new pic...my gear has changed just a bit anyways... :mrgreen:

image1.JPG
-VB4/FDP
-VB5/fretted/White-Blue
-VB5/fretted/Satin Jet Black
-VB5/fretless/FDBC
-CT324X/Primer Gray

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs