Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

GateZ
Gold Member
Gold Member

re: Headless Club

Postby GateZ » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:16 pm

I love it!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

I agree 100%, my V6 is hands down the best guitar i've ever played!
GateZ
2015 Vader V6 (Koa)

bchulse

Postby bchulse » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:13 am

HH2x I had built in June 2014

Priced out around 1900.00 w/hard case

LabyrinthShredder
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby LabyrinthShredder » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:44 pm

Wow, that's a real stunner!! :shock:

Love the aquaburst quilt with the abalone blocks!! Fantastic option choices man!! :applause: :applause: :applause:
2015 Kiesel Darth Vader 8 Satin Black Flame, 2013 HH2X Clear Satin Spalted Maple, 2012 DC800 Satin DTS Clear Quilt, 2011 ST300C Gloss Black Stain Quilt
INCREATE

bchulse

Postby bchulse » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:23 am

Thanks! It has been my main axe since it arrived on June 10, 2014. I've got a Kiesel Vader 6 on order as well. Orangeburst Quilt, Zebrawood fingerboard, Abalone blocks, Abalone knobs. Due mid-late June...

Can't wait!

reentune

Re: re: Headless Club

Postby reentune » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:28 am

bchulse wrote:Thanks! It has been my main axe since it arrived on June 10, 2014. I've got a Kiesel Vader 6 on order as well. Orangeburst Quilt, Zebrawood fingerboard, Abalone blocks, Abalone knobs. Due mid-late June...

Can't wait!

I really can't believe how great the HH is.
I've hardly touched another guitar since getting it this past Christmas Eve!

For those who have a Vader and an HH, i'd love to hear your thoughts and comparisons as to how they stack up to each other, particularly sound- and feel-wise.

I'm thinking about a Vader 7 eventually. Or maybe just another HHx.
I'm really pleased with these.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:10 pm

reentune wrote:I really can't believe how great the HH is.

For those who have a Vader and an HH, i'd love to hear your thoughts and comparisons as to how they stack up to each other, particularly sound- and feel-wise.

I couldn't agree more. All other guitars are being given new homes and I have another HH1X coming out of the oven in May. I don't play anything else and nothing plays like an HH. I would certainly consider a Vader 7, if the need arises. I have two Ibanez RG1527s that stay in the case and are going to be sold.

reentune

Postby reentune » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:23 pm

colossal wrote:
reentune wrote:I really can't believe how great the HH is.

I couldn't agree more. All other guitars are being given new homes and I have another HH1X coming out of the oven in May. I don't play anything else and nothing plays like an HH. I would certainly consider a Vader 7, if the need arises. I have two Ibanez RG1527s that stay in the case and are going to be sold.

Dude, I even sold a Thorn!
Now that's saying something right there!
(And some EBMMs, a G&L and an Ibby are up on the block right now too.)

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:35 pm

reentune wrote:Dude, I even sold a Thorn!
Now that's saying something right there!
(And some EBMMs, a G&L and an Ibby are up on the block right now too.)

Those guitars all have a noble purpose: To fund more HHs :P

Toecutter

Postby Toecutter » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:44 pm

I will be joining the club in 3-4 weeks.....I hope my credentials below are adequate for entry!!!

Vader 7 right handed 25.5 scale
5 piece flame maple neck with mahog strips
Mahog body (chambered)
Plain maple top (painted black)
Ebony fretboard/ SS jumbo frets ...black/no streaking
RNC on back of body and neck
clear gloss body and neck
deleted tone nob

Estimated completion 07/02/15!!! Cant wait to join officially!!

------------------
2014 DC700 walnut with actives :D :D :D

marzzz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby marzzz » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:01 am

marzzz wrote:Image
After some deliberation (and with some regret), I ended up returning this guitar to Carvin/Keisel. Be on the lookout for it in GIS, I can tell you it is an incredible guitar, but in the end I just couldn't justify keeping it.

So I saw this guitar go up on GIS, and come off barely a couple of days later...congrats to whomever bought it!

Raisingfear101

Postby Raisingfear101 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:57 pm

My Grabber Blue V7!

Full Album Here: http://imgur.com/a/YxhLM

reentune

Postby reentune » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:20 pm

Just bought this from the in-stock page and they are swapping in a Holdsworth pickup before they ship.
Hopefully it'll go out tomorrow.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/images/gui ... 24297b.jpg
http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/124297
http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/hh1

Oh, yeah…

And I got in on the Vader Special Run.
V7 incoming in August.

That'll make an HH2x, an HH1x, and a V7.
Not too shabby.

Oh, and my Ibanez RG-1550M sold today too…so everything is working out nice.

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:08 pm

Nice score! Will look forward to the tone report!

ChrisN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ChrisN » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:43 am

Hello folks!
Well, seems I've been missing the club somehow. Time to join then.
Cheers to you all.
Chris

johnnyninja
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby johnnyninja » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:14 am

How are you guys getting along with the thicker neck on the HH? I'm planning to build a DC600 but really find myself gravitating to the HH. I'd easily go Vader if I could get one with a trem, but that's not an option. The problem is that I just sold my ST300 because I couldn't bond with the neck. My preference is just a bit smaller.

The thin neck option won't bring the HH to even 'normal' spec, but I wonder if the profile helps in this regard. I'd appreciate any opinions.

Thanks

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:34 am

johnnyninja wrote:How are you guys getting along with the thicker neck on the HH? I'm planning to build a DC600 but really find myself gravitating to the HH. I'd easily go Vader if I could get one with a trem, but that's not an option. The problem is that I just sold my ST300 because I couldn't bond with the neck. My preference is just a bit smaller.

The thin neck option won't bring the HH to even 'normal' spec, but I wonder if the profile helps in this regard. I'd appreciate any opinions.

Thanks

For me, I have large hands and for years played skinny necks. Thin necks just killed my thumb and while wide interval chords are no problem for me to reach, the inward position of my thumb caused a lot of pain. The thickness of the stock HH neck is close to a '50s round neck of a Les Paul. Just that increase in thickness took away the pain as my thumb moved backward to a more relaxed position. Total change! The HH is the best guitar for me, ever.

But I would say it is subjective, what you like, and what you are used to. I would look at the spec for neck thickness for guitars you have and have a good feeling for and compare to the HH, etc.

johnnyninja
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby johnnyninja » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:46 am

colossal wrote:For me, I have large hands and for years played skinny necks. Thin necks just killed my thumb and while wide interval chords are no problem for me to reach, the inward position of my thumb caused a lot of pain. The thickness of the stock HH neck is close to a '50s round neck of a Les Paul. Just that increase in thickness took away the pain as my thumb moved backward to a more relaxed position. Total change! The HH is the best guitar for me, ever.

But I would say it is subjective, what you like, and what you are used to. I would look at the spec for neck thickness for guitars you have and have a good feeling for and compare to the HH, etc.

Thanks for the input.
I thinned the herd down to my RG1570 and the ST300, which is now gone. I did like the ST for rhythm better but it felt a little thick for leads. I know what your saying about thin necks and the thumb. I find I have to be really conscious of my hand position, too. If I never played the Ibanez I probably wouldn't think about it...but I did :)

I'd love to try one but the Opt 50 for the neck would void my ability to return it. I'm still tempted though...

colossal
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby colossal » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:56 am

johnnyninja wrote:
colossal wrote:For me, I have large hands and for years played skinny necks. Thin necks just killed my thumb and while wide interval chords are no problem for me to reach, the inward position of my thumb caused a lot of pain. The thickness of the stock HH neck is close to a '50s round neck of a Les Paul. Just that increase in thickness took away the pain as my thumb moved backward to a more relaxed position. Total change! The HH is the best guitar for me, ever.

Thanks for the input.
I thinned the herd down to my RG1570 and the ST300, which is now gone. I did like the ST for rhythm better but it felt a little thick for leads. I know what your saying about thin necks and the thumb. I find I have to be really conscious of my hand position, too. If I never played the Ibanez I probably wouldn't think about it...but I did :)

I'd love to try one but the Opt 50 for the neck would void my ability to return it. I'm still tempted though...

Ha, yes, Ibanezs are exactly what I'm talking about! Great guitars back in the day, but I didn't know any better to think my thumb shouldn't be burning! :oops: All these years later, I've gone back to basics and revised my hand position completely to be very relaxed. As far as the HH and lead, it is very much suited to it. The radius is a flat 20", that was a game changer for me too; even flatter than the Ibanez's 16" radius. The HH is so comfortable, I have sold or am selling my other guitars. I prefer 6100 stainless frets and very low action. The neck is just dead straight, no fret buzz anywhere, and very musical and intonated any where you go. I think the substantial thickness lends to great stability as well.

Good luck in your decision! I don't think you will be disappointed with an HH. They are really amazing guitars, little wonderful feats of craftsmanship and engineering.

ChrisN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby ChrisN » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:04 am

johnnyninja wrote:

Thanks

I got the THNN option on my HH1X's neck and it actually makes the neck go from a thicker neck to what a Carvin standard necks thickness is.
To me, unless you have really small hands and you do not employ a classical guitar fretting hand position at the same time - it should not make a big difference going from normal to THNN neck size in the HH1X case.
My LM-size hands easily accept the THNN HH1X neck and I believe I would have no problem with the thicker neck anyway. Still, the clue to bearing with the neck is the left hand position, and not necessarily the hand size.
I highly recommend letting your fretting hand work in an ergonomic "open" classical position that allows using the whole hand potential instead of just holding it wrapped around the neck. Using even the smallest amount of leverage between the wrist, the thumb and the rest of the palm would resolve the pains and apparent limitations.

Hope that helps!

johnnyninja
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby johnnyninja » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:10 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've been jonesing for a headless for a while so I'm going to go for it. I did some CAD drawings and the thin neck option does bring it really close to a standard Carvin neck. I just need to put my big boy pants on and adapt.

Ive been watching Labyrinthshredder's videos and they put me over the edge. Carvin should give him some commission 8)

I love the lead sound he's getting out of the stock pickups, but I'm wondering if the HH bridge pickup will do nice and thick high gain, hard rock rhythm or do I need to put something else in there? Most of the videos I've watched are light fusion/jazz so I'm lacking in comparisons and I don't have any experience with chambered guitars. Any thoughts?

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs