My SH550 is all Gibson on the Inside Now

Threads by Owners of Specific Kiesel Guitars / Carvin Guitars Instruments

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

Frankgaray

My SH550 is all Gibson on the Inside Now

Postby Frankgaray » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:32 am

I absolutely LOVE my Sea Foam Green SH500. The finest and most beautiful guitar I've ever owned. But I also absolutely LOVE the way my 1999 Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960 "sounds". It's loaded with Gibson Burstbuckers, a BB2 in the neck and a BB3 in the bridge.

So I went for it. I bought a BB2 and a BB3 for the Carvin. These are the really vintage pups too. Not potted, 2 wire. I also bought genuine large Gibson 500k pots and a genuine Gibson pup selector switch.

Took it all to my great friend/guitar tech Mike Marino who lives in "Cool" California and had him do the swap out.

I think I've died and gone to heaven guys. I have what may be the most unique guitar in the state in my hands. The tone is SO wonderful, and I have to tell ya, I like the traditional look of the BB's much better than the plain Carvin pups.

It sounds freaking AMAZING. Anyway, if you've ever thought of doing this, I'd say go for it. You'll be very happy you did. I don't know if my LP will ever see the stage again!

skully13a
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: My SH550 is all Gibson on the Inside Now

Postby skully13a » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:49 pm

Best of both worlds? Right on, man. That's a sweet looking axe for sure.
I don't know a lot about the insides of them, but it sounds like you got an expert to handle it...I hope it suits you. Cheers! :D
SH645
V440T
SM212 Stage Master
MB10

Sirloin
Carvinite
Carvinite

re: My SH550 is all Gibson on the Inside Now

Postby Sirloin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:41 pm

Sweet axe. I have done similar mods to my CS.

All electronics replaced, aluminum tailpiece, grover mini tuners.

Return to Guitar & Bass Clubs