Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 15007
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:07 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
Brock wrote:Just today I saw a CT for sale. All the specs/options were listed and Deep Sunset over quilt was listed as a $300 option. I laughed until I went to the guitar builder and indeed a deep triple step over quilt is a $300 option while deep triple step over flame is included in the price. Is this something new? I thought both were considered standard?


No. The CT6 comes with flamed maple as standard included in the price. Quilt was always an upcharge. Even a decade ago, it was a $160 upgrade option:
http://carvinmuseum.com/decade/images/07-ctseries.html

User avatar
Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 335
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: south central pa.

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby Brock » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:23 pm

spudmunkey wrote:
spudmunkey wrote:
Brock wrote:Just today I saw a CT for sale. All the specs/options were listed and Deep Sunset over quilt was listed as a $300 option. I laughed until I went to the guitar builder and indeed a deep triple step over quilt is a $300 option while deep triple step over flame is included in the price. Is this something new? I thought both were considered standard?


No. The CT6 comes with flamed maple as standard included in the price. Quilt was always an upcharge. Even a decade ago, it was a $160 upgrade option:
http://carvinmuseum.com/decade/images/07-ctseries.html


Was it that way with the CS also? When I was building mine I thought for sure flame and quilt were both standard options. Then again, I can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago....

User avatar
Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 335
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: south central pa.

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby Brock » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:28 pm

I looked at a catalog from 2009 and a quilt top for a CS6 is a $180 upcharge.

From here on out - whatever I post on here, it would be a good idea to check it out for yourself. I think my mind is gone :mrgreen:

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 15007
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:00 pm

Back in 2008 when I ordered my CS6, one of the reasons I stuck with flame was because of the upcharge to quilt. :)

User avatar
Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 335
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: south central pa.

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby Brock » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:26 am

I wanted flame for mine only because I think it looks better on a LP style guitar than quilt. Though I do like quilt when it's long and stringy like this:
cs624m-qdc6-koa-fmn-nhwo-stjf-ab-wk-s22j-s22b-abl-402-vt2-50-1pieceflamedkoabody-7amastergradequilt-purpleheartfingerboard-129748_gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 15007
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:19 pm

I've got a sudden craving for a JB100 in gloss primer grey with chrome hardware and cream HH pickups and...hmm...ziricote board, maybe? Otherwise maple with black block inlays, and ideally the "regular" inline headstock (like what you get on a Bolt/DC127), painted to match the body. Hardtail.

User avatar
Omsong
Carvinite
Carvinite
Posts: 613
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Somerton, AZ

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby Omsong » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:10 pm

I won't swear to it but if I remember correctly the very first CT6s had free abalone block inlays as a promotion. A quilt top might have also be free. I say that because I had one of the first with a quilt top and normally they are priced out of my budget. Think those first CT6s also came with a free strap, strap locks and HS case. Wasn't that also when Carvin first offered the Deep Triple Step stains?
Ichi on Jobutsu (Enlightenment in one tone.)

Kiesel
- '17 Fatboy, Deep Lava Flame
Past tense
- '02 Fatboy; '04 CT6M; '07 Fatboy; '11 Bolt+

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 15007
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby spudmunkey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:06 pm

Omsong wrote:I won't swear to it but if I remember correctly the very first CT6s had free abalone block inlays as a promotion. A quilt top might have also be free. I say that because I had one of the first with a quilt top and normally they are priced out of my budget. Think those first CT6s also came with a free strap, strap locks and HS case. Wasn't that also when Carvin first offered the Deep Triple Step stains?


It may have been a promotion. The CT was launched in '04, and in it's first year catalog, quilted tops were a $240 upgrade, and while abalone blocks were listed as $120, there was also a "free abalone block upgrade" little graphic on the catalog page.
http://carvinmuseum.com/decade/images/04-ct6.html

The "Deep" finishes were launched with the CT. I'm not sure when they added the option to the rest of the finishes, or when they made it standard on all flamed and quilted maple finishes.

User avatar
ElfDude
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10396
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: In and around the lake

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby ElfDude » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:50 am

spudmunkey wrote:I've got a sudden craving for a JB100 in gloss primer grey with chrome hardware and cream HH pickups and...hmm...ziricote board, maybe? Otherwise maple with black block inlays, and ideally the "regular" inline headstock (like what you get on a Bolt/DC127), painted to match the body. Hardtail.


That would certainly be handsome!
Aries A6H, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

User avatar
Brock
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 335
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: south central pa.

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby Brock » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:51 am

spudmunkey wrote:
The "Deep" finishes were launched with the CT. I'm not sure when they added the option to the rest of the finishes, or when they made it standard on all flamed and quilted maple finishes.


It was at least as early as fall 2009 that the deep finish was an option for other models. In the catalog I have there is a DC400, DC127, SH65 and an AE185 all shown with a "deep" option.

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 15007
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:56 am

Anybody catch the Black Friday specials? I'm in a dull-as-heck meeting for the next few hours, and can't listen to the live steam.

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 15007
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Just saw this on the home page:

bf3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 15007
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:33 pm

In one of the last live streams, Jeff mentioned and showed Bloodwood fretboard (he said it would normally be $200), and also had a birdseye FB that was also a bit quilted. I always heard quilted maple was much much softer than other maples, but maybe because the quilting seemed somewhat subtle, maybe it's not much of an impact on the overall hardness of it.

User avatar
gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 7261
Joined: May 2010
Location: Western NC

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby gumbynotpokey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:01 pm

spudmunkey wrote:In one of the last live streams, Jeff mentioned and showed Bloodwood fretboard (he said it would normally be $200), and also had a birdseye FB that was also a bit quilted. I always heard quilted maple was much much softer than other maples, but maybe because the quilting seemed somewhat subtle, maybe it's not much of an impact on the overall hardness of it.


My BEM board is significantly quilted - but it's under the HAN coating, so I can't tell how hard the board itself is. I will say that it's so beautiful under the HAN that I have never stopped to wonder.

claro BEM 1.jpg


claro BEM 2.jpg


claro BEM 3.jpg


claro BEM 4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 15007
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby spudmunkey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:25 pm

In one of today's streams, jedd had this guitar.

Image

What interesting, is that the burst appeared to be a metallic finish (radiation green, perhaps? And when he moved the guitar around in front of the camera, the effect of the metallic-vs-non-metallic and the opaque-vs-translucent was more interesting than I first thought it would be. I dislike it a little less now. :laughhard:

Fast-forward to 11m:40s
https://www.facebook.com/kieselguitars/videos/1997143557235603/

User avatar
gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 7261
Joined: May 2010
Location: Western NC

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby gumbynotpokey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:45 am

Very funny and ironic to me that over on their FB recently there was a thread on a topic of s concern nature we covered here years ago. I decided not to point it out here on the bbs. But now there is one for a private sale, and newest of all is one asking for examples of customer service problems from years past. Another observation is that their FB environment moves quickly, the opportunity for mods to influence is less, and the people on there are both many in number and highly varied - resulting in less guidance and preserving of the right culture than happens on the bbs.
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

User avatar
ElfDude
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10396
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: In and around the lake

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby ElfDude » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:51 am

gumbynotpokey wrote:Very funny and ironic to me that over on their FB recently there was a thread on a topic of s concern nature we covered here years ago. I decided not to point it out here on the bbs. But now there is one for a private sale, and newest of all is one asking for examples of customer service problems from years past. Another observation is that their FB environment moves quickly, the opportunity for mods to influence is less, and the people on there are both many in number and highly varied - resulting in less guidance and preserving of the right culture than happens on the bbs.


I've enjoyed how Kevio has been able to keep this BBS family-friendly (no profanity, racy pics, etc.).

The facebook group is definitely not like that. I think the mods remove inappropriate pics and posts that bash the company or its employees, but there's very little they can do about all the foul language.
Aries A6H, SH445, Contour 66, AE185, DC135, CT4M, Bolt, SH225, LB76F, Nomad, VT16 Head, V410, Pro Bass 100
Midlife Crisis on Facebook
The Tri-Chevys on Facebook

User avatar
gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 7261
Joined: May 2010
Location: Western NC

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby gumbynotpokey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:43 am

ElfDude wrote:
gumbynotpokey wrote:Very funny and ironic to me that over on their FB recently there was a thread on a topic of s concern nature we covered here years ago. I decided not to point it out here on the bbs. But now there is one for a private sale, and newest of all is one asking for examples of customer service problems from years past. Another observation is that their FB environment moves quickly, the opportunity for mods to influence is less, and the people on there are both many in number and highly varied - resulting in less guidance and preserving of the right culture than happens on the bbs.


I've enjoyed how Kevio has been able to keep this BBS family-friendly (no profanity, racy pics, etc.).

The facebook group is definitely not like that. I think the mods remove inappropriate pics and posts that bash the company or its employees, but there's very little they can do about all the foul language.


Yeah, and it has SO many people and moves so QUICK.

IMO this BBS is worth a lot to the user community, if not the company. We archive a TON of die-hard knowledge on here and we CURATE the crap out of it, as you know. It would be a serious loss if they killed the BBS. On the personal side, my Claro beauty is what it is because of the BBS: Spud and Mario Sangermano's input being TOTALLY CENTRAL to the build. :)
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

User avatar
gumbynotpokey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 7261
Joined: May 2010
Location: Western NC

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby gumbynotpokey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:50 am

The virtual builder that someone put up on the FB is now a dead link. The question being asked is if they have the author take it down, or if colors are being added by the author.

?
Wife: C350, Claro top SH550, Vintage 16
Oldest: DC400M greenburst, C980TMW
Youngest: C750, GK1, CT624M Deep Black Cherry on flame, V3MC Celestion,
SH550 white/white, black binding, gold hardware
Me: LB70P jet black, LB70PF Claro BEM HAN, MB 10

User avatar
spudmunkey
Elite Carvinite
Elite Carvinite
Posts: 15007
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Kiesel Random Thoughts (not worth their own thread)

Postby spudmunkey » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:09 am

gumbynotpokey wrote:Yeah, and it has SO many people and moves so QUICK.


My biggest beef is that there's no archive. I think about once a week, someone posts about SD multiscale pickups, the screw-sticking-out vader bridge question, if Satin will gloss over time, etc. With no way to search or even browse subtopics, it has to start the whole conversation over again.


Return to The Backstage Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests