Steak, hamburger, and guitars

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

dvlsadvc8t
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: Steak, hamburger, and guitars

Postby dvlsadvc8t » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:40 pm

I have been through a ton of guitars, and currently I have only 1 that I built that sits under the bed and never gets played although it plays great. I'm just not into playing at all right now. The one thing I have learned with guitars is that if you settle for what you don't want, you will always lose money on the sell or trade-in. That means you will have ended up spending that much more money to get what you want. So I believe in getting exactly what you want/need to begin with and not worrying with anything else. In fact, I am getting back into surfing and ordered a custom surfboard because it actually cost a little cheaper than the name brands off the rack, but it was exactly what I wanted/needed.

NOW, with that said, if you are going to get a guitar to hold you over, get one that you will hang on to and enjoy. You're talking about a semihollow 2 humbucker guitar. I would get something like a Strat or bolt to hold me over. You can get used Mexi Strats pretty cheap from Guitar Center with a 30-day trial period. If you order it from a store that isn't local, you can take it back to your local store and get a full refund of the purchase price. I guess get a guitar that will add something for you later on when you do get the Carvin/Kiesel.

To put this in steak/burger terms, if you can't get the prime rib right now, at least get a burger that you will enjoy instead of getting just any ole burger. You may end up finding out that the burger you got was the best burger you've ever had and you go back for more of those too. Don't just settle for ketchup and mustard when you can get cheddar cheese and bacon on that sucker for a couple of pennies more.

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:00 pm

Well said. Looks like it's going to be even longer before I can place that order(September or later), so something to play in the mean time is becoming more attractive. Still, if I can hold off, it means calling Carvin that much sooner.

Geddy
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: re: Steak, hamburger, and guitars

Postby Geddy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:04 am

brento73 wrote:Well said. Looks like it's going to be even longer before I can place that order(September or later), so something to play in the mean time is becoming more attractive. Still, if I can hold off, it means calling Carvin that much sooner.

Patience my young Padawan. Seek the best you shall have.

Cheers,
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
CS624M Ginger
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Marshall 1960A,
Bogner 212C Closed Back 2x12 Cab with V30's.
Custom Pedalboard

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:48 am

So, I ended up getting a Squire Strat from Guitar Center to get me through the coming months. It was on sale for only $150, and came with a little practice amp, a cheap(REALLY cheap) gig bag, and some other misc. stuff. I'm happy with it, and after spending a couple days playing with the saddle height and truss rod, it plays pretty well. The pickups aren't great, and all the hardware looks and feels cheap, but it more-or-less stays in tune, and it was super cheap.

I'm now shooting for placing my order in September, which would mean getting my Carvin around my birthday in November! :)

Here's my current idea(subject to change a million more times):

SH65
Right Handed 1 $1,249.00

BBE - Natural Top Wood Body Binding (Must Order Top Wood)
-MT - Maple Top (Standard)
WAL - Maple Neck & Walnut Body
RNC - Rear of Body Natural Clear (Must Have Top Wood)
-CG - Clear Gloss Finish (Standard)
B - Jet Black
5MW - 5-Piece Maple Neck w/ 2 Walnut Stripes
CSN - Clear Satin Finish Back Of Neck (Natural Wood)
-IN - Inline Headstock (Standard)
-PH - Headstock To Match Body Finish (Standard)
-EF - Ebony Fingerboard (Standard)
AB - Abalone Block Inlays
-WSD - White Side Dots (Standard)
STF - Stainless Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W
-R14 - 14in Fretboard Radius (Standard)
35 - M22SD Bridge Pickup
S22J - S22J Neck Pickup w/ Metal Cover to Match Hardware
-400 - Black Pickups (Standard)
-CHR - Chrome Hardware (Standard)
-1046E - Elixir Light Gauge .010 - .046 (Standard)
ABL - Abalone Logo
AK - Metal Knobs w/ Abalone Inlays
NTSH - No F Holes/No Sound Hole
SL - Dunlop Straplocks

There's a chance I might still get the 575 instead, but I literally saw this build in a dream, so I'm pretty smitten. :lol:

2Plus2isChicken
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

Postby 2Plus2isChicken » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:33 pm

And later on you can get a pre-wired pickguard and locking tuners for the Squier. It will make a good backup guitar, and you'll have less in it than a MIM Strat.
Guitars:
2x Carvin Bolt
DC145
AE185
Ibanez RG1570 and Mikro
2x Fender MIM Strat
Ovation Celebrity
PRS SE Custom 24

Amps:
V3M
Legacy 3
VT16
Quilter 101 Mini Head
Peavey JSX Head
Fender Super Champ XD
Carvin Vintage 1 x 12 cab
Carvin Legacy II 2 x 12 cab

brento73
Carvinite
Carvinite

Postby brento73 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:52 pm

Yes! A friend of mine has a Mexican Strat wth a Carvin pickguard setup, and it's pretty cool.

Return to The Backstage Lounge