So, I had an interesting weekend

Off-Topic Discussions. Read the Sticky before posting.

Moderators: Kevio, ElfDude, JesseM, RockCrue, soundchick, ChrisH, peb, Mike Jones, Bundy

potatohead
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

So, I had an interesting weekend

Postby potatohead » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:35 pm

Like many parts of the continent, forest fires this year are really bad in BC. It has been absolutely crazy hot and dry this summer.

So, last weekend my wife and I decided to go camping. There is a cool spot we know on the side of a huge lake about two hours east of Vancouver. You need a pretty decent 4x4 to get down there so it was pretty quiet, maybe eight groups of people stretched out over about 500 meters of beach. So on the second day some boats pull up and tell us about a fire starting up on the hill above us. Within about ten minutes there were some helicopters dropping water, so we didn't think much of it. Fire marshalls came by and told us to stay put as the logging road was now closed, and they would update us in 2 - 3 hours.

Fast forward three hours - I have been watching six, SIX water bombers (including the biggest we have, called the Martin Mars) bomb this fire for at least two hours.

Here's a video I took of it flying just overhead, it did this about a dozen times before we left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWQN42emH2s

The smoke was getting thicker and closer so we decided to get out of there. We got to a roadblock in the forest road about 30 minutes later. They originally told us road was closed and we would have to wait, but eventually they let a group of about eight cars through after about 15 minutes. You can go out the opposite direction but it is about a six hour detour.

So, on the way out, we filmed this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfhZDoPHrnM

I later sold this to the news for a nice dinner out (lol) and they opened the evening news with it :lol: .

The fire is still burning, it is pretty huge and it looks like it is going to take out one of our favorite spots :( .

So please everyone, discard your cigarettes correctly and be cautious when out in the bush. 8)
V3M 212
2012 DC700 (gloss spalt)
2013 CS6 x 2 (satin purple flame, satin green flame)
2013 CS4 (satin black)
2015 CT4 (satin blue ash w/ AAT)

Catman10
Gold Carvinite
Gold Carvinite

re: So, I had an interesting weekend

Postby Catman10 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:15 pm

So much for a quiet getaway, right? Glad to hear that you guys were able to get out without injury, and a big plus for the dinner money!! Great job!

truedog
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

re: So, I had an interesting weekend

Postby truedog » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Looks like you got out just in time. Those wildfires can move really quickly when the conditions are right.
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

SC90, Bolt Kit, V220, AC375, Vader 6 "SwampThang", LB75, Nomad Mini Stack, X100B, MB1015

potatohead
Platinum Carvinite
Platinum Carvinite

Re: re: So, I had an interesting weekend

Postby potatohead » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:41 pm

truedog wrote:Looks like you got out just in time. Those wildfires can move really quickly when the conditions are right.

Within 36 hours it was 650 hectares. Nature is scary :shock:
V3M 212

2012 DC700 (gloss spalt)

2013 CS6 x 2 (satin purple flame, satin green flame)

2013 CS4 (satin black)

2015 CT4 (satin blue ash w/ AAT)

Return to The Backstage Lounge